MAY 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

The First Step tells me that I am powerless over alcohol, which is admittedly stronger than I am, since there was no way for me to keep the drinker away from the bottle. It also suggests that the confusion arising from this helplessness has done things to my life that are not easy to endure. Then, going on to Step Two, I discover that the Twelve Steps are a closely-linked chain that will give me a clear understanding of my situation.

It says: “Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.” This means that although we cannot help ourselves, there is help at hand. I am required to admit, also, that my own behavior was not sane. This is an invitation to humility, without which there can be no progress.

TODAY’s REMINDER

Surrender to a Higher Power, and the humility to make that surrender complete, is the first move we make toward relief from an intolerable condition. If I will do my part, I can rely on my Higher Power to open my eyes to solutions and restore me to peace and order.

“Comfort and a peaceful heart are the rewards of those who rely on His help.”