I won't believe it until I see it

Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I won't believe it until I see it

My alcoholic brother, who lives downstairs, told me this morning that he "didn't drink last night" and that he "is making changes" in his life.

He also told me that these changes "won't all happen over night", but that he started making them yesterday.

This is in response to him borrowing my husband's truck to go to work, then stopping at the bar to drink afterwards, which I told him not to do. When I found out that he HAD taken my husband's truck to the bar, I got mad and told him that as soon as he got home, he was to park the truck and couldn't borrow it again.

This was the latest incident in a long string of incidents, and I've had it with his irresponsible lifestyle.

I told him this morning that I've heard it all before, and that I won't believe changes have been made until I see them.

He's probably scamming me, as usual. He's already told my sister that he "enjoys drinking" and is "going to drink", so I'm not too hopeful that any "changes" he's making right now are going to last.

He lies to me all the time, so I don't dare hope that this time he will actually follow through with the changes he needs to make.

I told him that I just don't understand how drinking is so much fun that it ends up taking priority over EVERY OTHER THING in life.

Would you believe him?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope - actions speak louder than words - especially for someone with a history of lying.

Drinking is a compulsion for alcoholics - that's why it takes priority over everything.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

No. I'm amazed at what 'truth' is to this illness. There is none.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's already been said, but actions > words. My AW was drunk the night before her child custody hearing swearing up and down that she hadn't been drinking. What I'm hearing from your question isn't whether or not you should believe him...you already know you shouldn't believe what he said at face value. You're saying that you want to be able to believe him. Which I completely relate to, after all he's family.