Quote from Eat Pray Love

Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quote from Eat Pray Love

Last fall, right as I started to really become aware of my marriage crumbling... I watched Eat Pray Love for the first time... I'll never know what prompted me to watch it that day, but it was exactly what I needed to help push me forward.

I have "happened" upon it 2-3 times since then, the latest being tonight. And I'm struck with awe and how much the movie speaks to me each and every time, particularly as the divorce proceeds.

There are so many amazing quotes... But the one that jumped out to tonight...

We all want things to stay the same. Settle for living in misery because we're afraid of change, of things crumbling to ruins. Then I looked at around to this place, at the chaos it has endured - the way it has been adapted, burned, pillaged and found a way to build itself back up again. And I was reassured, maybe my life hasn't been so chaotic, it's just the world that is, and the real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation."
Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the same way about that movie. I have watched it three times since I left my xabf and each time it just reassures me. I am slowly reading the book as well. If you are reader check it out.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

Originally Posted by startoveragain View Post
I feel the same way about that movie. I have watched it three times since I left my xabf and each time it just reassures me. I am slowly reading the book as well. If you are reader check it out.
I'm a reader!! I'll put this on my book list. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I LOVE that book, and that quote is fantastic. Thanks for sharing it.

(For those that are thinking of watching the movie--the book is better. It's hard to capture the insights on film. Not sure if you would agree, startoveragain).

I've read similar thoughts on how tearing down is actually a very good thing--an opportunity for a whole new foundation. Here's an old-fashioned explanation, written by Catherine Ponder in The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity. Ponder was a "New Thought" author.. I've always liked this passage about a spiritual process called "chemicalization" (sounds weird, I know, but read on and take what you like, leave the rest:

Recently a civil service employee in a distant city said, "I have your book, The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity, and it is the best book on the subject I have ever read. For a time, I worked with the laws you described and they brought dynamic good into my life. But suddenly, I am frightened and discouraged. The last few weeks, everything seems to have gone in reverse. What has happened?"
That lady was relieved to learn that another dynamic law was working for her-the law of chemicalization.
You've heard it said that things have to get worse sometimes before they can get better; that the getting worse process is actually a part of the improvement process; that what seems failure is actually success being born in the situation. That's chemicalization!
Chemicalization sounds like a negative process, but actually it is a very positive one, a natural, normal one. Though it is an uncomfortable experience, it is worth going through, because it is always a sign that cleansing is taking place. Something higher and better always results from this experience.
When these periods come, remind yourself, "This is nothing to fear. This is not evil. There Is only good at work In this experience. Healing Is now taking place In my world. I rest, relax and let It." As you nonresistantly meet chemicalization in this way, very soon brighter conditions will appear.
Emmet Fox has described the healing process of chemicalization:
It seems as though everything begins to go wrong at once. This may be disconcerting, but it is really a good sign. Suppose your whole world seems to rock on its foundation. Hold on steadily, and let it rock, and when the rocking is over, the picture will have reassembled itself into something much nearer to your heart's desire.
Chemicalization means that things are coming out In a better state of affairs than ever before. Regardless of what seems to be happening, It never means anything else. When a physical or mental disturbance arises after your deliberate use of right thinking, it is always a sign that your right thinking is at work clearing out the negative, so that the positive power of good can gain complete dominion of your world.
As you practice the prosperity laws given in my books, faithfully writing out your desires, making a wheel of fortune, commanding your good to appear, creating a master plan for success, and as you practice the healing laws faithfully invoking forgiveness, release, and affirmations of love, praise, etc. - don't be surprised if your world begins to rock!
When it does say to yourself, "This Is good! Those laws are working for me In a dynamic way. Only dynamic good shall come from this cleansing experience." You are having a mental, emotional, and perhaps even a physical "spring cleaning." How free, unburdened, and ready for better health and greater health and greater good you will be as this cleansing perfects you and your world.