SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   HP message? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/227561-hp-message.html)

Babyblue 05-20-2011 06:23 PM

HP message?

I am not a deeply religious person but I do have my beliefs and spiritual side. That there is indeed a Higher Power beyond ourselves. So today I got a definite message from mine.

Lately I have had struggles which made me feel 'invisible'. It has been a rough couple of weeks emotionally for me. As the helper and 'do-er' for people I feel like no one notices me at times.

So today I was at the Dr. office with my son. He is having surgery in a few months (not life threatening) and so I have been a mess but holding it together as best as I could. Underneath I am also struggling emotionally with that the RA'BF' is NC with me due to his rehab. I felt ...well... invisible to him now.

Anyway, I was at the doctor's office, it was early, no makeup, tired, needing coffee and anxious at the upcoming surgery, etc. The wait was very long for the Dr. so I got up and walked around a bit.

Then a nice young woman comes up to me, taps me gently on the shoulder and says/signs "You have pretty face". She was deaf but could speak as she signed to me. I could tell it was a challenge for her as she was deaf but she really wanted me to understand. It was important to her. When she realized that I understood what she said, she smiled, nodded and was on her way. I have no idea who she was or what compelled her to say this but it was a lovely compliment and it almost made me cry as she walked away.

Maybe my higher power was telling me that in spite of everything and how I feel on the inside, I am still visible. That people do see me. My HP had shook me and said: Snap out of it! You are ok! You are still a whole person.

I needed to hear it. Not out of vanity but I have been feeling invisible. Not seen. Someone saw me and it felt nice :)

GettingBy 05-20-2011 06:39 PM

Definitely your HP speaking Babyblue!!!

I absolutely love to hear stories like that. I firmly believe that moments of "coincidence" are really my HP reaching down and touching my life.

Kindeyes 05-20-2011 06:50 PM

What a beautiful thing that lady (and HP) did for you. Thank you for posting this....it gave me goosebumps.

gentle hugs
ke

LaPinturaBella 05-20-2011 06:53 PM

what a lovely reminder that you ARE visible. I like to think of this as a "God Wink." I hope you carry that moment with you the rest of your life.

m1k3 05-20-2011 07:18 PM

Very good post.

I was out walking this evening trying to sort everything out. I'm moving out tomorrow morning and while I know I'm doing the right thing it is still a very emotional experience. As I was walking by the lake near my 'old' apartment I saw a rainbow in the water and then looked up to see a very beautiful rainbow up in the sky. It was like my HP was telling me that I was making the right choice and better weather was in my future as well as to look up and not down. If I hadn't seen the reflection when looking down I would never have seen the rainbow at all.

SoloMio 05-21-2011 12:09 PM

Awesome. So true, how those signs are subtle but unmistakable. We think they have to come in the form of big digital highway signs like in the movie LA Story, but the angels are among us.

fourmaggie 05-21-2011 01:06 PM

*wipes a tear off my cheek* i am just so emotional today...LOVE IT!

Tuffgirl 05-21-2011 01:40 PM

I hope you cherish this moment forever. What an amazingly kind gesture just when you needed it the most!

I remember one day shortly after a break up, I was passing out free health program flyers at a church during a food pantry hour. One homeless guy ran up to me and grabbed me by the arms and exclaimed, "You look like a movie star!". I gave him a hug. I remember this like it was yesterday, when in fact it was a good 7 years ago.

Often it is the little moments we remember forever.

Babyblue 05-21-2011 06:39 PM

Oh I do treasure it. And this woman had NO idea how much her simple gesture could affect me. Moreover, I had no idea how much it would reach me and how entrenched in my negativity I was.

It felt like someone yanking me out of the deep end of the pool because they saw me flailing around . Or putting out an arm because I was in quicksand.

That is what it feels like. So I won't forget.

And yes Solo, it was like she was an angel honestly. A kind messenger.