SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   insite apprichated (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/227478-insite-apprichated.html)

CheekyAngel 05-19-2011 05:27 PM

insite apprichated

I said before my mum is always sick. But i was wondering can anyone gimme some insite into the difference between normal sickness and drink sickness as i dont have a clue...

Seren 05-19-2011 06:52 PM

Hi Cheeky, how ya' doing?

Hmmmm....good question. Some people are just as sick when they aren't drinking...their behavior is just as bad....as when they ARE drinking. I don't know if there is any way to tell with some folks where the alcoholism ends and when other problems begin.

I think others will be along who can give you a better answer soon! Hugs, HG

StarCat 05-20-2011 07:25 AM

With XABF, he is abusive, and probably has mental issues. No diagnosis can be done without him being sober to determine what those issues might be, unfortunately, so it's difficult.
With the abusiveness, once I removed myself from regular contact with him, then read "Why Does He Do That?" (which helped me learn what I was looking for), I realized that even though his abusiveness was worse/more obvious/more obviously hurtful when he was drunk, he was abusive and controlling while sober, too, just more in a manipulative/sneaky way.

It's tough. I don't really know how to tell you to look for things, because I don't really know myself.
The only thing I know to do is take a look at the common behavioral issues among the average alcoholic - manipulation, etc - and recognize that part is probably due to the addiction.
Then take a look at the behavioral problems that denote different past age groups for the alcoholic - drinking out partying, drinking in private, etc - and figure that's probably the sign of their age and maturity when they started drinking in earnest.
Whatever is left is their personality, so if there's an additional sickness, aside from alcoholism, it's probably buried in that.

Don't know if that works or not. It's a hard question. Not sure if there is an answer.

CheekyAngel 05-20-2011 08:48 AM

No sorry i think i may have put that wrongly. What i mean is she is not well, not sick in the head (which she is that) but sick in the body. Like i mean she is always ill. Just wanna know some things/signs where drink is making her ill. She looks awful. I was down last week she wasnt drunk (surprisingly) but there was no way she could drink coz she was so ill. I want her to get tests but she wont and there is nothing i can do. As much as i hate her, i still love her.

Just looking for tell-tail signs of when the drink is making you ill. I dont know if there is even a word for what im saying.

Im finding it difficult to explain becoz my head is warped but i hope you understand.

Seren 05-20-2011 09:41 AM

Oh, OK, I can tell you about my A stepson, but it's not pretty......

When my A stepson was admitted to the hospital, he was drinking heavily, alone, in his room. He was jaundiced. In other words, his skin was sort of yellow looking as well as the white parts of his eyes. Sort of a dijon mustard color.

Also, because his kidneys were compromised, he retained water around his middle while his arms and legs were very, very skinny. Basically, his body was using his own muscle mass as a source of protein because he rarely ate, only drank. The "buddha belly" look was ascites, fluid build up in the abdominal cavity.

He also began go have spots, like scabs, on his face that would bleed, and he had nose bleeds as well.

These are all classic, physical symptoms of alcohol abuse--according to the doctors at the hospital.

HG

JessicaNAJ 05-20-2011 09:46 AM

i heard facial puffiness could be a sign of a liver issue which can be caused from alcohol abuse.

thequest 05-20-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hydrogirl (Post 2974186)

Hmmmm....good question. Some people are just as sick when they aren't drinking...their behavior is just as bad....as when they ARE drinking. I don't know if there is any way to tell with some folks where the alcoholism ends and when other problems begin. ...

Excellent question!

I think this is where alot of problems lay. Most people being lazy like simple clear cut answers and have no time for those pesky things called detail. As long as someone can a put 'a label' on it they're happy. I think finding 'an answer' gives someone a sense they're in control. This is why many are quick to blame. This probably why many think just having a drink will make everything better. Too me it comes back to people not wanting to think or deal in details of reality.

CheekyAngel 05-21-2011 04:54 AM

Oh no! Im not liking the sounds of the buddhas belly thing. She has this, it actully looks like she pregnant. Her skin and eyes arn't yellow but she doesnt look well in the face full stop. Do the skin and eye colouring have to change colour to have a medical problem? Okay, presuming it is from alcohol, what is this called, liver disease? Can damages be reversed (if she stopped drinkin, which she wont)?

And hydrogirl, sorry to hear of you stepson

laurie6781 05-21-2011 06:03 AM

Cheeky you can do some research on line to get the information you are seeking.

This site really does not allow us to give medical information.

Or ask your own doctor or his nurse as they can fill you in much better than we are allowed to here.

I am sure that your mom is sick, based on what you have reported previously about her drinking. Some of it can be from her drinking, some from her poor diet (not eating just drinking) and some from a compromised immune system from the not eating and the drinking.

Best to get complete and accurate information from your own doctor.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

MissChievous 05-21-2011 06:48 PM

Hi Cheeky --- perhaps this website will give you some insight and some answers:

Alcoholism Physical Symptoms

So sorry about your mom.