Following SoloMio's example...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Following SoloMio's example...

... and a court decision in AXH's favor, I'm taking a ten-day vacation to run, cook and consume meals with friends, spend quality time with my fiance, journal, think, sing, and delve deeply into recovery books. Recovery boot camp. I love the concept.

I had hoped that things would be solved easily and quickly, but as that seems to not be the case -- I'll do the next best thing and prepare myself the best way I can. You don't run a marathon without preparing. And this appears to be becoming one.

So, Solo or other people -- any suggestions for reading materials? I'm all stocked up on Melody Beattie but most of my Al-Anon literature is in storage (I can swing by the bookstore tomorrow, though).
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Hope its a blast and very relaxing!

I read a book a few months back that I have quoted from on here a few times. It's helped me tremendously to understand my patterns of choosing emotionally unavailable men:

Emotional Unavailability, Bryn C Collins

Another good one if you like and can handle Dr. Laura's candor:
Surviving a Shark Attack (on land): Overcoming betrayal and Dealing With Revenge, Dr. Laura Schlessinger

And for a break from the self-help stuff, I am currently reading "The Paris Wife: A Novel" by Paula McLain. Be forewarned, its about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife and they drink like fish. But a neat love story!

Enjoy your get-away!
~T

Last edited by Tuffgirl; 05-17-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: damn typos today! sheesh!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's no secret here that I am a huge fan of Eckhart Tolle. Also Deepak Chopra. They are not so much about recovery as enlightenment. Which, I believe is the next step after the Melody Beattie and Alanon stuff, etc. Also, anything by Kahlil Gibran, or anything Buddhist/Zen. I take what I like from many different philosophies. In fact, I believe they are all the same at the base, it's only the delivery that differs.

L
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, lillamy, hope it works well for you!!

Here are the books that I read and/or took with me:

Brought with me:
Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton
*Bagavad Gita
*The Bible

Alcoholism-related/codependency books:
The Enabler: When Helping Hurts the Ones We Love by Angelyn Miller
Love is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go on Unhealthy Relationships by Hemfelt, Minirth and Meier
Fearless Relationships by Karen Casey
*No More Letting Go by Debra Jay
*Dance of Intimacy by Harriet Lerner
*The New Codependency by Melody Beattie

Christianity/Spirituality books:
*Inner Compass by Margaret Silf
*See God Everywhere by Anthony DeMello
Journey with Jesus: Discovering the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius by Larry Warner
*The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life by James Martin

Miscellaneous
*Peace From Broken Pieces Iyanla VanSant
One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni (FICTION: Great relaxing read)

Asterisks represent the best of the bunch--but I have to admit the others I may not have really read enough yet to form an opinion.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys -- that is a good list (and definitely more than I will get through). And thank you, Solo, for the idea.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Succulent Wild Women" by SARK. Not a recovery book, but the best book ever about finding the parts of you that are strong, colorful and unconquerable. I love it so much I actually have TWO copies - one to keep and one to share! Also "Life 101" and "Do It! - Let's Get Off Our Buts".

And don't forget to kick back and read a "trashy" novel or two - it took a while for me to realize that it was OK to read something a little saucy, just for fun. Try any of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, or one of the "Bridget Jones' Diary" books.

Have fun!!!