MAY 15 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

“The hardest thing for me to learn,” said a member at an Al-Anon meeting, “is to stop imagining that I can figure out why my husband acts the way he does. Automatically almost, I jump to conclusions about his activities and his motives. I know in my heart that I can’t read his mind, and that anything I attribute to him is probably all wrong. Even his worst moments – the times when I’m exasperated to the point of fury – may just be his unhappiest. How can I know? Why do I judge?

“Nobody but God understands what goes on inside another human being. Let’s not try to play God – or even psychiatrist! – to our troubled mates. Let’s not examine them as we would a bug under a microscope. I always want to remember that every human being must be respected for his own individuality, no matter how battered it appears at times.”

Today’s Reminder

I will, today and from now on, examine my own role in all my confusion and despair. If I do this honestly, I will come to realize that I am not blameless, that there is much to be changed in me.

How can he think the way I think,
Or do just what I'd do?
(I will remember, day by day,
My love, that I'm not you.)”