Drinking/Long Term Effects

Old 11-19-2003, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Drinking/Long Term Effects

I have searched the web a little on long term effects of drinking and found very little information. The reason I am searching is because my wife's been sober now for a little over 3 weeks (well she had a relapse Monday). During her stay in the hospital they discovered she was anemic. Her iron is real low. She's being treated for this and her liver enzymes are high. I did find that excessive and extensive drinking can cause this type of anemia and without treatment can lead to central nervous system damage. During her 3 week sobriety she still hasn't mentioned going back to work, just sits around and barely moves. I'm trying to find a question here, but I guess in short, can anyone here relate or give me information on what damage alcohol can do to the central nervous system, body and mind?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Worst case scenario prolonged use of alcohol can lead to cirrosis (excuse the spelling) of the liver, pancreatitis, and brain damage which we refer to in the rooms of A.A as "wet brain".
Alcoholism begins to take a woman down in her 30"s.

You don't give any info on how old she is, how long,how much or what she's been drinking.

Ngaire
Old 11-19-2003, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

She's 48. Drank in moderation (couple of shots of whiskey in the evening) up until about 5 years ago and then all at once it was at least a bottle of wine every day with 3 or 4 shots of whiskey with it. It got so that I lost count, because of what she was hiding, but I do know that sometimes it was a small bottle of whiskey and 2 bottles of wine everyday, if I had to average it out.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The body has a phenomenal way of rejuivinating. The soul needs more personal help.

Go to Al-anon.......you'll need the support.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am having the same problem with my mom. She has been drinking now for a little over eight years heavily. She was told two years ago to quit or there would be extreme consequenses and I thought she had, however recently she went back to the doctor for a re-check and I learned she had been drinking again. She was now drinking wine instead of liquor assuming that would be better. She has been sober now for 3 1/2 weeks and I know it is because she is very scared of what she has done to her body so far. Within two weeks of her sobriety she started to develop what the doctor calls neuropthy (excuse my spelling). It is a condition that effects the nervous system and in my mom's case has caused her legs to ache terribly. She has also expierienced problems walking and had tingling sensations in her feet. This started about 2 weeks ago. I visited her yesterday and now her legs are feeling better, however her stomach is now cramping constantly, still difficult to walk & to top it all off she is now developing jaundice pretty bad. We are going once again to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully I will have more news as to what to expect in the future. Anyone else had these problems after quitting drinking and if so does it improve if you stay sober or should I start preparing for harder days ahead? Any input is very appreciated and I hope everyone who is having problems with this terrible disease finds help and relief.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Badly anemic one is too tired to move, Pobably will take a bit to get that straightened out, but ask the Dr.
Not drinking is HELL, thats why many do not sober up. Withdrawal can be a nightmare.
Does she go to AA meetings?? If not would you take her and go with her to open meetings for a couple of times. Open meetings means visitors are welcome. Best for you to say you are an Al-Anon, that covers everone.
Has she gone, will she go??
Shucks, I see you have been a member sinse 2003, so you have probably as much knowledge as I have. Take care,
Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

http://alcoholism.about.com

Specifically regarding damage:
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/brain/

I found a wealth of information from this site, hope it serves to answer your questions. Best wishes....
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

((((lisa1211))))

From your post it would seem that a lot of your focus is on your mother and her health. I urgue you to keep the focus on you and your health as well. Most of us who have watched this deadly disease at work on a loved one, tend to put our needs aside so once again our focus is outside ourselves.

Do take care and come back often.
Love and prayers from one who cares.