Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Gratitude information, Proof that it can change our lives for the better

Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

With the release of "the Secret" and other books on gratitude and manifestation that came out in the early 2000s, the psychological research community and several universities have done some studies on how gratitude can affect daily life.

I have done a little searching on this in recent days, and I have always practiced Gratitude, but sometimes more strenuously than others, and sometimes I just get caught up and forget about it.

One of these studies showed that out of 300 people, 150 kept a gratitude list everyday, 4 things to be grateful for each day before bed. They were instructed to do this with emotion and to get into contact with the real feeling of gratitude. The other 150 people did not do so.

The groups wer comparable in income brackets, in life circumstances, etc.

The group who did the gratitude practice had several marked results that the other group had not.

In sleep studies, they found that the group doing the before bed practice had less sleep disturbance, a more restful sleep, and less brain activity while sleeping, simple: they went to sleep on a positive note, chose to focus on positives instead of worries as they fell asleep.

The 150 who did gratitude practice reported an increase in happiness, a greater sense of purpose in life, a decrease in depression, an improvement in overall health, and a greater desire to be physically active.

The group who did not take part in active gratitude practice did not show these results.

Its pretty good stuff.
Just sharing!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Having a gratitude list helps me snap out of angry moments. It reminds me where my priorities are.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gratitude was the topic of last night's Al Anon meeting. We all had such a long list of things we are grateful for. I feel that going through a difficult time helped me realize how many things I have to be grateful for and it just snowballed from there. Or maybe being grateful helped me through a difficult time. I can see more easily the little things in my life that I am grateful for. It may take some practice but it certainly makes a huge difference.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting that, Buffalo. A gratitude list was something I was introduced to very early in recovery.