SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   "I Want Love....Just A Different Kind" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/226728-i-want-love-just-different-kind.html)

SoloMio 05-10-2011 10:40 AM

"I Want Love....Just A Different Kind"

I don't know why, but I LOVE Elton John's song, "I Want Love." (I have my iPod on shuffle and it just came up) I really think the lyrics speak to the danger of the codie pendulum swinging too far the other way--we get so broken down by a damaging love of one kind that we look for another kind of damaging love--from soul-sucking love to meaningless love--

My brother was in his teens when Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" came out. We were both CoAs--He LOVED that song. He didn't realize the lyrics were meant to be cautionary--he was seeking that kind of emotional-less life after having been ignored as a middle child of an alcoholic father who had no time for him.

So, this Elton John song is so sad, but somehow connects with how I feel on my bad days.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Here are Elton John's lyrics:

I want love, but it's impossible
A man like me, so irresponsible
A man like me is dead in places
Other men feel liberated

I can't love, shot full of holes
Don't feel nothing, I just feel cold
Don't feel nothing, just old scars
Toughening up around my heart

But I want love, just a different kind
I want love, won't break me down
Won't brick me up, won't fence me in
I want a love, that don't mean a thing
That's the love I want, I want love

I want love on my own terms
After everything I've ever learned
Me, I carry too much baggage
Oh man I've seen so much traffic

So bring it on, I've been bruised
Don't give me love that's clean and smooth
I'm ready for the rougher stuff
No sweet romance, I've had enough

LaTeeDa 05-10-2011 11:11 AM

The nice thing about swinging pendulums is that they eventually come to rest in the middle. :)

I was just thinking about this the other day. I lived for my dreams (happy family, picket fence, growing old together) for so long that when I learned to live in reality, I sort of stopped dreaming for awhile. The pendulum swung all the way to the other extreme. Now, I'm back to having dreams again. But, this time they don't center around an alcoholic getting sober. They center around me and my own wonderful life.

The pendulum is much closer to the balanced middle. :)

L

dbh 05-10-2011 07:33 PM

I love this song too. The music video is also great. Robert Downey Jr. lip syncs to the song while walking through an abandon building. I read that he filmed it shortly after leaving rehab for the last time. Somewhere in his eyes you can tell that he "gets it"

db

passionfruit 05-10-2011 07:53 PM

Oh yea

I absolutely love the video with Robert Downy jr mouthing this......................

The perfect video.

Robert Downy Jr. Bad boy gone gone thanks to his woman. My hero.

gerryP 05-10-2011 09:11 PM

^^^^^^
Passionfruit I may be misinterpreting your above post, but are you suggesting that a good woman can set a 'bad boy' straight?

(sorry for the hijack)

passionfruit 05-11-2011 05:05 AM

:herewegoIn Robert Downey Juniors case, the girl he has hooked up with is given alot of credit toward helping him walk a ''better" line.

gerryP 05-11-2011 06:17 AM

Ah okay....
in...the...'movie...the girl straightens him out.

Mightyqueen801 05-11-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SoloMio (Post 2963308)
I don't know why, but I LOVE Elton John's song, "I Want Love." (I have my iPod on shuffle and it just came up) I really think the lyrics speak to the danger of the codie pendulum swinging too far the other way--we get so broken down by a damaging love of one kind that we look for another kind of damaging love--from soul-sucking love to meaningless love--

My brother was in his teens when Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" came out. We were both CoAs--He LOVED that song. He didn't realize the lyrics were meant to be cautionary--he was seeking that kind of emotional-less life after having been ignored as a middle child of an alcoholic father who had no time for him.

So, this Elton John song is so sad, but somehow connects with how I feel on my bad days.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Here are Elton John's lyrics:

Wow, just wow. And not just because I can't understand how I love Elton John and don't know that song. (But I do have a "best of" Simon and Garfunkel CD in my car, and "I Am A Rock" resounds with me so much it's depressing.

But I looked at the site just now because that's how I feel. I once asked my then-therapist to tell me how to STOP wanting love, since it is not something I will ever be able to have, and he just laughed and said that's impossible because it's human nature to desire to be loved, no matter what.

I'm 52 years old, and I just picture this long, bleak emptiness for the next 20 years or so until it's time for the dirt nap. It would be nice not to feel anything.

dbh 05-11-2011 06:08 PM

Here's a link to the video. Are we allowed to post youtube links here?

YouTube - Elton John - I Want Love

I have a crush on post-recovery Robert Downey Jr. ;-)

db

dbh 05-11-2011 06:17 PM

Had to add this one too.

Here's another one of my favorite "recovery" songs. Most of my adult life was spent around very controlling people. This song has become a sort of anthem to me.

SARA BAREILLES
"King Of Anything"

Keep drinkin' coffee
Stare me down across the table
While I look outside

So many things I'd say if only I were able
But I just keep quiet
And count the cars that pass by

You've got opinions, man
We're all entitled to 'em
But I never asked

So let me thank you for time