MAY 6 from the little blue book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL ANON

Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

While we do not come to Al-Anon for the purpose of getting the alcoholic to stop drinking, it is true that membership in an Al-Anon group has been an important factor in many an alcoholic's recovery.

Nevertheless, our first concern is our own improvement. For this reason we do not discuss the actions and faults of our spouses, but confine ourselves to overcoming the tensions and anxieties of our own situations. We who are in the family circle of an alcoholic suffer fears and frustrations; we feel beaten, hopeless and angry - with overtones of guilt.

Once we realize that alcoholism is a disease, and that we are not responsible for it, we can master our own feelings of guilt and hostility. This often brings about improvement in the home situation.

Today's Reminder

In our group discussions we avoid long recitals about the misbehavior of the alcoholic, because they do not promote our growth. We are in Al-anon to get rid of our own feelings of guilt and hostility. We can deal more adequately with problems when heart and mind are not weighed down by negative emotions.

"...then shall vanish all vain imaginings, all evil disturbances and superfluous cares."
Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meredith,
Thanks for sharing these. I dont have that book anymore. cant find it, but i appreciate being able to read these daily entries you are posting.
take care,
chicory
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Present

it's an honor...I do it to give to Al-Anon...and it is one of those gifts that turns around and gives back to me at least as much as I put into it.
:day6