Are Alcoholics Allowed to Attend Al-Anon Family Meetings?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are Alcoholics Allowed to Attend Al-Anon Family Meetings?

Hello,

I'm currently in AA and was curious about attending an Al-Anon Family Group on my own to see what it is like. I have not been affected by the drinking of others, other than my own of course. I currently live alone, do not have a wife or girlfriend, or children. My parents know of my drinking issues but are not fully aware of what AA provides. I'm curious to attend b/c I would like to here the experiences of individuals affected by the drinking of others. Are individuals already in an AA program encouraged to attend, or are they frowned upon for showing up at Al-Anon?

I asked this question in the Newcomers to Recovery forum, but did not receive any real feedback.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe that you can, if the meeting is considered "open". Just like in AA-you know how some meetings are closed to people who aren't alcoholics?

I used to go to open AA meetings when I was dating a guy in recovery. I don't see why you can't go to an OPEN al-anon meeting; I'm sure they'd be glad to have you, just like I was warmly welcomed at all the AA meetings I attended.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You have found a wonderful resource of support and information. We are a world wide support organization for people seeking recovery, people seeking information and families looking for support while dealing with a loved ones addiction.

Alanon meetings are based on the 12 steps and principles of AA. There are similarities in the meetings, but with the approach of support for the non-addicted person. Most Alanon groups host an open meeting just as AA hosts some open meetings.

Open meetings are planned with a guest speaker sharing their personal experience. Open meetings are open to the public. The opening and closing of open meetings are similar to the regular meeting style. The difference is in the focus of the meeting.
In regular(closed) meetings, there is personal sharing of intimate, sensitive, raw emotions in a protected anonymous environment of caring, understanding and tolerance. Sharing is protected in a safe environment.
In open meetings, the guest speaker is willing to share their personal feelings with an audience of unfamiliar faces as well as familiar faces.

By contacting a local Alanon meeting, you can find out when their next scheduled open meeting is planned.

My personal experience is this: I am a recovering alcoholic, a recovering ex-spouse of an alcoholic, and a recovering codependent. I did not begin my sobriety and recovery with AA. I did start attending Alanon meetings later in my sobriety. I currently attend some open AA meetings and some closed Alanon meetings.

One of the slogans that has guided me in attending both types of meetings is: "Identify instead of Compare"
I can identify with others at both meetings.
I try not to compare myself to others as that isolates and sets me apart.

If you are curious to understand life with addiction as a normie (non addicted person), please feel free to read and post as needed in the Friends and Family Forum here at SR. I recommend starting your reading in the permanent (sticky) posts at the top of this forum page.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you can. Many, many people attend both meetings because they need or want to do so. Here, however, is the difference. AA is for talking about your issues with alcohol, Alanon IS NOT FOR TALKING ABOUT YOUR ISSUES WITH ALCOHOL. Doing so is a major violation of what Alanon is about. Nobody there cares if you are an alcoholic, nobody there cares if you are in AA-- you are welcome either way, but must respect that Alanon is not in any way, shape, or form an AA meeting even though it shares the 12 steps.

Alanon is for talking about your issues with, and these may not all apply for you and it's just a partial list:
  • Relationships with others
  • Other Alcoholics
  • Codependency
  • Enabling behaviors
  • Controlling behaviors
  • And just not being happy

I'd encourage you to check it out, and I'd also encourage you to just sit and listen for the first two or three meetings. This will help you see what's different, and what's similiar, in AA and Alanon.

Take care, take what you want, and leave the rest.

Cyranoak
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most people "qualify" for Alanon..you just have to have been effected by someone else's drinking..I bet if you think hard enough you can remember a time when someone else's drinking effected you...it does not have to be current.
Lots of the double winners (Alcoholics and codies) are my favorite peeps at the meetings.They don't share about their alcoholism, but they have alot of insight in genereal...check it out..I think anyone can benefit from Alanon