SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   What are some of your triggers? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/225876-what-some-your-triggers.html)

jamaicamecrazy 04-29-2011 09:03 PM

The sound of the beer can opening
The sound of the cabinet where we keep the liquor
I could not listen to any music for a while because it all reminded me of him. Then I started listening to country music which I have learned to like but of course it is the worst thing for a broken heart.
Beer cans in the bathroom and on the counter
The sight of a Black Jeep Wrangler-I see his car a lot on the road, at the bar, on my walks, at the FD.
Grocery shopping-I don't know why lately I have broken down reaching for a can of soup. I keep thinking about what he would like to eat and then remember I am not buying for him anymore.
Certain movies and TV shows
Scrapbooking- I just can't look at my old scrapbooks or try to update any. It just makes me too sad.
Holidays

theuncertainty 04-30-2011 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by bookwyrm (Post 2952310)
Seeing someone walk past that slightly resemble XAH - I get a flash of dread, that cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's less than before though, over in a second when it used to paralyse me till I was sure it wasn't him.

Yep, that's a big one for me too, Bookwyrm. I'm slowly getting to the point where I don't freeze like a deer in the headlights. Here are a few more:
  • Orange Honda Elements, silver Xterras, black sedans, green trucks.
  • Not being acknowledged while the person still rolls their eyes at what I'm saying.
  • The bedroom door opening in the middle of the night, even if it turns out to just be the cat.
  • Empty glasses left sitting on the floor.
  • Some one grabbing my shoulder from behind.
  • The flicker of the TV left on in the middle of the night with the volume muted.
  • People standing up suddenly when they're mad.

pupnut5 04-30-2011 06:12 AM

• When someone says "people say they're true feelings when their drunk"

• When people blame others, god or the universe for things that are clearly their own

• When I hear co workers say they 'need' a beer after work to relax

Thumper 04-30-2011 06:17 AM

I'll probably discover a lot more. I don't have very much interaction with other people so am not exposed to lots of triggers.

Tuffgirl 04-30-2011 08:43 AM

I thought of a few more this morning:

Being chastised like a child by anyone. Except my parents. They can do that to me and I'll be ok with it.

Grocery shopping is a good one...I have found myself sad for the same reason...or it makes me angry.

When I experience something awesome and there is no one to share it with. I thought that was one of the greatest benefits of being married?!

When the RAH disses AA...and they are small little petty annoyances he has with the program...nothing serious...but it invokes a little feeling of panic inside...

wanttobehealthy 04-30-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl (Post 2953197)
When I experience something awesome and there is no one to share it with. I thought that was one of the greatest benefits of being married?!

This one really hit home for me. I've re-connected with cousins that I have not seen or talked to in 20+ yrs recently bc of mandating from my mother that we cut all of my father's side of the family out. I didn't want to be the family traitor so I went along.

Anyway, in Feb I reached out to 2 of them and we've made up for lost time and it's amazing. And occassionally when I talk to them or return from visiting with them and their kids, I feel a twinge of sadness that AH isn't a part of it. He'd like them a lot. I wish they'd been in my life when AH and I got married and he'd known them and we'd spent time all together. It makes me a bit sad to not share this with him... Anyway, I really 'get' your description of this very thing above... I hadn't thought of it as a trigger and maybe if I do and just accept that I feel a bit sad about it and it is what it is, it will be lose its power... I find that when I can figure out the reason or some of the reason behind why I feel something it helps make the feeling a lot more palatable -- maybe that's just me?

Thumper 04-30-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl (Post 2953197)

I know what you mean. Even the little nods or small shares at the end of the day. Like you had a partner in the world, someone in your corner, the little fun insider jokes.

Things about the kids too. Big and small things that a non-parent wouldn't care about or would consider bragging about stupid stuff. I wish there was someone to tell that stuff to.

I didn't have that in the last years of my marriage anyway but I do miss it none the less.