Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I'll have one relapse, everything on it, and a side of heartache, please

I'll have one relapse, everything on it, and a side of heartache, please

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((FP))) When my xH and I were divorcing, I grieved, I wanted him to respond to me with what I wanted to hear, too.

What helped me? Turning outward, not inward.....here's what I mean. Instead of obsessing about what I was losing, how awful the whole thing was, I decided to turn and look at the world around me. I Thought about all the billions of people on this planet I had yet to meet! How many wonderful encounters with new friends I could have, how many wonderful places I could go and learn about. It really helped me take the focus of my mind off of my STBXH and back onto me and all that life in this world had to offer!!!!

Hugs and prayers, HG
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
(((FP))) When my xH and I were divorcing, I grieved, I wanted him to respond to me with what I wanted to hear, too.

What helped me? Turning outward, not inward
OMG... that's it for me!!! Completely!! I find myself sad because AH isn't emotionally here for me... he's not being compassionate and comforting me... and it hurts... only because I'm LETTING it. I'm expecting something from someone that they just can't/won't give me!

My AH has not been a source of compassion/love/support for well over a year now. I know that for a fact. So why the heck would he be any different during a DIVORCE?!?! Insanity on my part. And it's stepping into that reality that helps keep me from inflicting more pain on myself.

I'm not going to the hardware store looking for bread ANYMORE.

I too am turning outward. Looking at the blessings and grace that surround me and being grateful for it. Trusting in my HP. Connecting with people who CAN give me the love/compassion/support I need. It doesn't make the divorce painless... but it does help ease the pain of the process.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post

What helped me? Turning outward, not inward.....here's what I mean. Instead of obsessing about what I was losing, how awful the whole thing was, I decided to turn and look at the world around me. I Thought about all the billions of people on this planet I had yet to meet! How many wonderful encounters with new friends I could have, how many wonderful places I could go and learn about. It really helped me take the focus of my mind off of my STBXH and back onto me and all that life in this world had to offer!!!!

Hugs and prayers, HG
This is very helpful to me right now. It reminds me, also, of the change that happened in me when I finally came to believe there was a power higher than myself. After this acceptance, I began to be truly grateful for so many things that I had never even noticed before. And doing that, practicing gratefulness, has changed who I am and the way I perceive myself and the world around me. Life is much easier this way. I wish everyone will find their Higher Power too.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Barb, you're the best! I do understand. Thanks.
Hydro, thanks to you, too. I DO know I am gifted with much wonderfulness.

Hijack away. If you're getting goods from it; why not.

I got an email from my H saying, "so we're back to not communicating?"
I replied, "Oh, did I miss a call from you?" LOL!
I swear, he is so passive. He really doesn't have the ability to be anything else. It sucks for him.

I haven't touched that darn paperwork.
Avoid avoid avoid.
I am just trying to eat and sleep enough to get by day by day.
I know I need to look at it!!

Otherwise, I am in okay spirits, all things considered.

Spring has sprung and the bears are out and about! Lots of birds and squirrels to see.
I am one lucky duck to be in such a lovely place.

p