spervised visitation only

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
oln

spervised visitation only

i live in england UK and have separated from the father of my children 12 months ago, after he decided to start drinking again after nine years sober, during this time he was on disulfurim(antabuse).He wants our daughters who are 6 and 8 years old for unsupervised visits otherwise he is threatening court. If he does go to court is he lightly to get unsupervised access and am i right stopping him from having that? Many thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what the laws are in the UK, and I'm certain they're different within each state even, but during our divorce, XAH pushed to have unsupervised visits with our DS (6yo), but it wasn't granted because of his drinking and DV. (The court, however, allowed his GF, dad and/or sister to supervisse the visits....) I was told by my attorney that any time XAH came to pick up DS and I even suspected he had been drinking, I was within my rights to deny the visit. That being said, she also warned me about parental alienation and that I should make every attempt to keep DS in touch with XAH.

It's a very fine line and I would highly suggest seeking legal counsel to help.

Document, document, document - everything. Any time he shows up to see your kids, any time he shows up drunk, any time he no-shows, any time you contact him to tell him about school events, if he shows up for those.....
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As has been stated, we don't know how things work in the UK; however, you asked if you were right to try to stop the unsupervised visitation. My feeling is that if you truly feel it is in the best interest of your children to not have unsupervised visitation, then you have every right to fight against it. You really should confer with legal counsel to see exactly what your rights are. The most important thing is the safety and well-being of your children.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Oln.

As I understand it, it really depends on whether you are or were married, if he has parental responsibility or not and what court orders are already in place.

I'll PM you with details of a forum that should be able to help.