SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Scared (nothing unusual for me, but just looking for answers) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/224670-scared-nothing-unusual-me-but-just-looking-answers.html)

japabp2000 04-14-2011 12:26 AM

Scared (nothing unusual for me, but just looking for answers)

Hey everyone..good morning. A little after 2 am here and I'm up thinking, and worrying about everything. Alright, AH is going into rehab Friday..thank God. Hopefully he sticks with it and gets clean/sober forever. Do I think he will? Part of me yes, but then part of me thinks no. The thing is, he has been drinking daily for going on 3 weeks now. He has abstained from alcohol (as far as I know) for about a month before, but "dried out" in rehab.
His daily drinking consists of a 12 pack and a pint of whiskey and that will get him tore up. He has only been "at this" drinking for about a year. I think when he first started it was actually more he was drinking, but who knows really. Anyway, the past 3 days, we have been low on money, so he has only had a half pint and a few beers each day for the 3 days. He goes to rehab Friday afternoon, that is the soonest he can go (due to transportation issues). We are completely out of money and out of gas in our vehicle (hence the transportation issues)..sooo should I expect him to go through d/ts? I'm so damn scared of that..I don't know what to do. I have severe anxiety disorder..to the point that I am disabled because of it. So therefore, if anything bad should happen (praying to God that it doesn't), I am afraid I will pass out not be able to call 911. Is the amount that he has been drinking even enough for him to go through d/ts? I know everyone is different, but I'm just curious/scared/worried/all of the above. SIGH. Damn I dunno what to do.

LexieCat 04-14-2011 04:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand--he doesn't have any alcohol left? Is he going to be completely out before Friday?

No, we can't predict how anyone will react, but he could call the rehab, or his doctor, explain the situation, and ask what symptoms should prompt a call to 911. Hallucinations, racing heartbeat are a couple that come to mind. I think it's unlikely he's going to be felled by something drastic that comes on so suddenly you would panic before you could call for help.

As for whether he will stay sober forever after rehab, who knows. Some people do, but they tend to be people highly motivated to stay sober. Depends in large part how much he wants to.

Tuffgirl 04-14-2011 07:39 AM

Breathe. Say some prayers. Whatever it takes to help you relax, regardless of what he chooses to do.

Take care of your own health, so you can stay strong through this ordeal.

And try to stop worrying so much about him and the unknown future. There is no "plan" we can make when we are dealing with active alcoholics, except plans made for us and us alone.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way today,
~T

FindinGrace 04-14-2011 07:54 AM

((japa)) I just wanted to post something you wrote I believe last month, please read it. :) You need to do what is best for you...you....you...and yes, breathe!
Hello, I'm new here but wanted to chime in. My husband is a recovering alcoholic (thank God and thanks to Campral as well), and is a hopefully soon to be recovering addict. His drug of choice is hydrocodone. Anyway, he did not start this until his step father passed away suddenly in 2006. He (my husband) also lost his biological father at age 8. He has dealt with anger issues (outbursts) and was what I would call a "bully" in school. He also has always done things on impulse, even before the drinking and drugs. I certainly think that he has some type of mental illness, and I do know he is self medicating because he says that if not he stays depressed. Anyway, he has tried rehab...he quit..3 times. Lots more to add but don't want to bore anyone..lol Without insurance and/or money, he has not been "properly" diagnosed I feel. His counselor that he sees doesn't seem to really even know what to do for him really.

Buffalo66 04-14-2011 09:27 AM

HI,

I think if he has the same amount of alcohol that you describe for the last two days, he should be fine.

My A weaned down, and was shocked at how he could handle it.

I would not expect a medical emergency, but maybe more of an emotional sh*tstorm from him.

Maybe some drama plays.

Try to relax a little. You can always cal 911 if it gets really awful.
Im sorry you have to deal with this.

japabp2000 04-14-2011 10:29 AM

I'm not sure I understand--he doesn't have any alcohol left? Is he going to be completely out before Friday?
Hi Lexicat, yes, he is completely out of alcohol and money. He is freaking out which in turn is causing me to freak out..he has been driving around town seeing if he could borrow money from anyone, and I have to go with him due to my agoraphobia (anxiety related which causes me to be scared to drive and stay home alone). Super embarrassing to say the least.

Thank you Tuffgirl.

FindinGrace, thank you so much. It's so crazy how an A can make us feel like they are "recovered" only to slip back into it. I thought he was through with drinking..and sure he was at the time, only he was snorting pain pill after pain pill. He conned me into thinking that he was drinking again to "get off" of the pain pills and once he "got over" the cravings for them, he would take his Campral again and stop drinking...I must be stupid. I should have known better..in fact, I did know better I just didn't want to argue. ((((Hugs))))

Hi Buffalo66. Thank you for your reply. This is driving me nuts, I'm trying so hard to focus on me, but I keep turning around looking at him (he's behind me by the couch) and making sure he's ok. I pray to God rehab is tomorrow. What the outcome is after rehab is beyond my control, but I do know that right now he is serious, but not sure how dedicated he is.Thanks again ((((Hugs))))

Chino 04-14-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by japabp2000 (Post 2934790)
... due to my agoraphobia (anxiety related which causes me to be scared to drive and stay home alone).

Have you made plans for your own well being, for when he's gone?

japabp2000 04-15-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chino (Post 2934908)
Have you made plans for your own well being, for when he's gone?

Hello Chino, and thank you so much for your reply. My mom has offered for me to stay there, which is great and appreciated, but we have 2 dogs and they can't go. She can bring me up to my house about 1 time a day (due to her work schedule) which will not be enough for the dogs so they can use the potty. We have a fenced in yard but the dogs are escape artists, so I'm freaking out about that. :( Guess it'll be ok one way or another.

Buffalo66 04-15-2011 04:59 PM

I am assuming he went in, and he was not too, too ill?

japabp2000 04-15-2011 10:10 PM

No Buffalo, he wasn't able to get in. The facility told him that they did not have any beds available so it will probably be Monday. He's freaking out again..out of money, out of alcohol. I have no clue what to do..praying he doesn't get the bad d/ts or whatever. He was able to get some alcohol for the past few days so he never had a chance to "dry out". I don't know why it's been so hard for him to get into rehab. I see how bad he wants to go and how ready he is, but it's like pulling teeth. GAH.