OMG!!!!

I just FINALLY finished all the forms and stuff
for my first "student' tax return....

for cryin out loud!!

It's crazy.

But - it's done - and as usual - they owe me

and I didn't get into any of the old
'tyrant' thinking
(you know - that "they're just another bully" thinking)

I just got online and got whatever form
and filled it out

thing is ...

I almost always get back a corrected form.
I always miss something
and they fill it out
and it's always for MORE refund than I had down.

SO this year I could go online
and check out what they were talking about...
because I finally have a computer.

just another time
that doing nothing more than the NEXT thing...

worked out.

:day6
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was I thought complicated this year since I sold a property so I paid someone else to do it. $185. Turns out I didn't make enough on the property to effect my taxes. I owed IRS $4. The state owes me $400. Oh well I always make mistakes when I do it. At least it is done.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Don't forget--you can deduct the cost of having your tax prep done (or the cost of tax prep software).

I think my accountant is SO worth it. It isn't the time or trouble, for me, with tax stuff--it's the associated angst. I'm afraid of missing deductions I should get, or inadvertently taking ones I'm not entitled to (which could cause me problems in my job). I just give my accountant the facts and let HIM worry about what I'm entitled to and crunch the numbers.

Congrats on getting yours done, Barb!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ahhhh the dreaded taxes...lucky you Barb...I owe, I owe, so off to work I have to keep go (ing). However, I read the deadline for sending in that check is Monday, the 18th instead of today. Bought myself two more days, although I am not sure why that makes me happy.

But yes, such a good feeling to get them done! And like Lexie, I have an accountant do mine - I figure the stress, worry, and time is worth the cost of doing it that way. Plus I have to file mine and both kids, for a total of three returns.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know, when I got up this morning and noticed what day it is, I felt a little gleeful. And grateful, for sure. When I was married, tax time was so stressful. I had to beg and plead to get him to gather up the information so we could do our taxes. He always waited till the last minute. And we always ended up owing a pile of money plus penalties since he was self-employed and never paid estimated taxes. April 15th used to be THE worst day of the year in my world.

For the last four years, I have done my taxes in February. And I've gotten a refund every year, usually received it in March. This year I bought a new camera and a big ole honkin' 500mm lens to shoot wildlife with.

Ah, life is good.

L
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay!!! Good feeling huh!

I've always gotten mine done in February but I am missing 2007 information :stress: so I had to order form duplicates from my old mortgage company and they took forever. Then I couldn't e-file because I had the house credit. I snail mailed it but that takes forever. I still haven't gotten it. I'm using to put up a fence so we can get a dog
Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh, I just got my income tax report from my accountant and it's not good. There was some kind of mixup where provincial deductions are concerned and I was receiving more provincial help for my DD than I should have, so I owe the provincial government 2,624$ this year. Ouch. Thankfully, the Federal government is giving me a return of 2,500$ so I owe 124$. Phew. Still though, I'd REALLY like to avoid this next year, so I'm going to ask for monthly deductions on my pay instead of coughing up a hefty lump sum at the end of the fiscal year.

I'm with tuffgirl though...thank goodness for my accountant.