OT - greedy corporate pigs!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - greedy corporate pigs!

Okay, maybe this isn't totally OT because it's about me taking my power back. I just had to share.

Five years ago or so, when I was selling our marital home and looking for a house of my own to buy, I subscribed to a credit monitoring service in order to keep tabs on my credit score and make sure XAH wasn't pulling any financial hanky-panky with "our" credit while the divorce was still pending. It was 9.95 per month, automatically charged to my credit card. Then a couple years later, it increased to 14.95 per month, then recently to 17.95 per month. I no longer feel a need for this service and tried to cancel my account. The entire thing is online--BUT you cannot cancel online. You must send a written request, via snail mail to cancel your account. What a PIA.

Also, at one time, I stupidly signed up for one of those "DVD clubs" where you get a pile of movies for ten cents or something, then you have to buy a few at regular price. No biggie, I fulfilled my obligation and was done with them. Then I find out--same thing! No cancelling of the account without written request, mailed to corporate office. And, if you forget to opt-out of their "selection of the month," they ship it automatically and you have to then return it *without opening it* in order to be credited back the automatic charge. Slimeballs!

So, last night, I'm opening the mail and look at one of my credit card statements only to find that they are now charging me "minimum interest" of a dollar. I never carry a balance, pay it off every month, and now I have to pay them a dollar just for the privilege of having their card. No thanks! Plus, this particular credit card company has lowered my credit limit, and raised the interest rate, even though my credit is excellent and I pay them off every month.

That dollar was the final straw. So, I called them and closed my account. It felt sooooooo goooooood to ditch them. Especially because they had to transfer me to a manager who begged and tried to bribe me (with a $25 credit) to keep my account open. I said no thanks and I expect the account to be closed as soon as they receive my electronic payment on Friday. I hung up the phone feeling very empowered.

BUT, it gets better. After hanging up the phone, I realized that this credit card is the one associated with the credit monitoring service AND the DVD club. So, now, neither of those places can continue to suck money from me either! I killed three corporate leeches with one stone! And I feel very empowered.

L
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I killed three corporate leeches with one stone!
OMG... I am literally :rotfxko right now. That is HILARIOUS!!!!!

I love boundaries... in all aspects of life!!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BUT, it gets better. After hanging up the phone, I realized that this credit card is the one associated with the credit monitoring service AND the DVD club. So, now, neither of those places can continue to suck money from me either! I killed three corporate leeches with one stone! And I feel very empowered.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its truly criminal what these companies get away with.

Banks do the same.

i recently discovered that my cable company was charging me a "reconnection fee" of $45/ being paid off in 3 installments.
I questioned this, since I was not "reconnecting" anything. I had never had service with them .

that ws all it took. They politely removed and credited me the fee.

If I had not questioned, it would still be there, and I firmly believe they count on people just not "noticing" things all the time...

Especially since the age of the electronic payment.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Absolutely! It's all about sneaking in charges wherever they can, and trying to chain you to continuing payments.
By the way, don't sign up for those insurance things on credit cards, where they'll "make payments for you" if you get sick. The company is separate from the credit card, so it is a major hassle to try and remove it. (XABF learned that the hard way.)

I will confess, I am not above reporting a card as "lost" to get them to change the card number, so that I can't continue to be billed for something.
I did this last week with my ATM card, since I know XABF had used it to reserve a hotel/house for this summer, since they didn't take American Express.
It was supposed to be a Christmas gift to his son, so I did not feel right canceling, but now there's no chance they'll charge me for it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By the way, don't sign up for those insurance things on credit cards, where they'll "make payments for you" if you get sick. The company is separate from the credit card, so it is a major hassle to try and remove it. (XABF learned that the hard way.)
Actually signing up for that was good for me. They paid up my monthly payments up to a year while I was unemployed, then two years later for almost a year while I was going through chemo for cancer, till I went back to work. So, for me it was worth it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
Actually signing up for that was good for me. They paid up my monthly payments up to a year while I was unemployed, then two years later for almost a year while I was going through chemo for cancer, till I went back to work. So, for me it was worth it.

I'm glad it helped.

I'll revise that statement - think twice before you sign up, because they take a giant chunk out of your monthly payment to send towards the insurance, and so it will take longer to pay it off if you carry high balances.
If you end up needing it, of course, it's a moot point.
And if you don't carry any balance ever, then it's basically free, since it's based on a percentage of your balance.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yay! Jack the Giant Killer! What a great feeling to get rid of 3 in one blow! (Reminds me to check in on my credit to make sure there's bizarreness from XAH.)
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I really want to retire early (in the next 2-3 years) so I'm realizing that all these little things add up. I'm fortunate to have a pension, but it will only amount to about 20% of my current income. So, not only do I need to create some passive income streams (which I am working on), but I need to cut my expenses/lifestyle, too.

As I look around at where my money goes, it occurs to me that plenty of it goes to pay for stuff I don't even want, much less need. Next month, my 2-yr indentured servitude, I mean cell phone contract, is up. I will be getting a pay-as-you-go phone. Then, who knows, I might even cancel cable, lol.

L

P.S. Jazz, I love that movie! It might even have been one of the DVD's I got through the club!