SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Sleeping after eating? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/224511-sleeping-after-eating.html)

japabp2000 04-12-2011 12:13 AM

Sleeping after eating?

AH goes all day without eating. He will not eat until he absolutely has to. His liquid diet of course keeps him sick to his stomach, and so I tell him to eat! He says he can't because when he eats he gets tired and goes to sleep (so what?? At least he won't be drinking!).
Just curious if anyone knows why this is..thanks :)

Scolova 04-12-2011 02:58 AM

I can only speak from my own experience;
Generally, I would eat very little in a day except a meal before I started my drinking, I would often rush through eating, let the food settle a while then drink.....
For sure, you'll want to get him to take B-complex vitamins amongst others. I am now suffering from the aches and pains of daily, heavy drinking with a very poor diet.

Scolova 04-12-2011 03:18 AM

Sorry, I guess I answered the wrong question... (and cannot edit)

Many people I know get tired after eating, I do too, especially if I eat 'big' and then just sit down, and if the room is cold?... I'd be asleep in a few minutes. :)

sesh 04-12-2011 04:04 AM

My STBXAH used to do the same thing, until he came to the point where he couldn't eat at all, just drink, drink, drink.
And why he couldn't eat when drinking and why he fell asleep right after eating I don't really know the scientific reason for, but I figured his body was so exausted after all that drinking, that food would reduce some of the alcohol high, and bring tiredness to the surface so he'd passed out straight away.
One thing I do know for sure, after witnessing one become an A to ending up with liver cirrohsis, when the alcohol intake affects the eating habits, it has become pretty serious. And after that things detoriate much faster, I'm not saying this to scare you, just speaking from my own experience. take what you like and leave the rest.
HUGS

XXXXXXXXXX 04-12-2011 04:35 AM

I could have written your above post. When I moved in 6 months ago, I told him that I wanted him to at least sit at the table with me and the kids when I made evening meals at 6:30. Sometimes he would, but would rarely eat, even if he were not drinking. Then at 10, he would eat right before going to bed.

I can't eat right before bed, if I do I can't sleep so that doesn't make any sense to me. I do know that his stomach is really messed up, and that his he was wrecking his body with his lack of nutrition.

The funniest thing was that there is a bar just down the street from us. He would say to me "I think I want a club sandwitch" and would go to the bar to eat, even though I had made dinner. This infuriated me.

When he was actively trying not to drink, (or at least going to therapy, taking the meds, and telling me he was not trying to drink) and he would say he wanted one, I would go pick up that nasty sandwitch, TO GO.

Ponder 04-12-2011 06:49 AM

Same thing here. He'll go all day without eating. If he drinks as soon as he gets in the door, he may or may not have a normal sized meal. But if dinner is already made, he'll stuff himself silly and then pass out.

LS2 04-12-2011 08:37 AM

Mine used to eat a little during the day, start drinking after work, never eat supper with us but warmed it up later to eat later..sometimes it was only half hour later that he decides to eat weird. Eating for him would kill the buzz and he ate and when to bed early every night.

RECF 04-12-2011 08:40 AM

God, I used to love that! When I could feed him and then he'd sleep leaving me ALONE! That was the best!

japabp2000 04-12-2011 12:56 PM

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess it's just the way an A does. Another sucky thing that goes along with it I assume. Thanks again!!