Finances....what is fair?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finances....what is fair?

So, up until 6 weeks ago, I have been in control of our finances. My RAH's checks would be direct deposited into an account in my name. We have had joint accounts in the past(10 yrs ago), but due to his complete lack of responsibility with the account, I removed all funds and opened an account in my name and have not wavered on my decision to NEVER again have a joint checking account with him.

Up until our almost 6 year old was born, I worked out of the home. At that time, I became a stay at home mom to our children and he continued to work out of the home. Over the last 6 years I have built up my own clientele and am now running a pretty good business out of our home and am still able to be there for the kids whenever need be. I am completely responsible for the 4 children's schedules, care, etc. and work whenever I get the chance.

6 weeks ago, my RAH decided that I am too controlling with the money and has opened his own checking account in which he puts ALL of his money. He has stated that he works his A** off and shouldn't have to pay for so much. Out of 6 weeks of checks, he has been gracious enough to give 2 of those for bills. I have not complained about this yet, and I am surprised at my calmness over this as money and security are very important to me. I am not ready for the battle that he so wants to happen.

He claims that all of these years, he has worked so hard. What have I done with all of "his" money. He trusted me and I have completely screwed him over. Huh????

We have a beautiful home, nicely dressed children, 3 vehicles, ATV, boat, IRA's, Investments, Savings account, etc. What do you mean, where did it all go?? I am tempted to say, "here ya go...here are the bills. You are in charge." Would he then realize that it is not easy to pay all the bills and still build on our investments/retirement accts? Honestly, he has no idea what anything costs....satellite, cell phones, dr/dds, electricity, phone bill, insurance, GROCERIES....and maybe putting him in charge will open his eyes. But, who am I kidding? Nothing opens his eyes. And if I put him in charge, goodbye to the accounts that I have worked so hard for to give us financial security. In addition to this, both of our work is very seasonal, so the person in charge needs to realize that even though they may "feel" like they have alot of money right now.....that money needs to be saved for the times when our work is slow and we are not making enough to pay the bills. I don't think he is capable of this.

So, as much as I want to just let this go and take it's course, I am struggling with watching all of my hard work go down the drain because once again, this a**hole is screwing everything up. What is fair? Based on our incomes, he has always paid about 2/3 and I pay 1/3. I thought this was more than fair for him as I would say 70% of my work is unpaid household chores and caring for children. Anything that is left goes into savings/investments OR we discuss if we will be making a purchase of some sort with it.

I admit, an account in my name only is controlling. However, it was a necessary choice due to his actions. He wants a joint checking account, badly. I don't really know why he is pushing so hard for this, I have always taken out cash for him when depositing his checks and the times when he needed more, I always handed over the cash card to him to get more. Just not sure what to do.

Part of me says to give in to the joint account. The other part of me says go to the county and file for support. Can you do that if he is still living with us? Ughhh.....he drives me crazy. I could be relaxing with my kids watching a movie right now and instead I am here, AGAIN, trying to sort out this mess. Thanks for listening and don't be too hard on me.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, sounds like just another item on the list of "inconsiderate jerk things."

So, what is your limit? When is it enough? And what are you getting out of this relationship?

L
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, this is the same gem.

He is supporting us somewhat, on his terms, and what he thinks is a fair amount, based on nothing except what his mind tells him is fair. He doesn't know what the bills are. And, even when given an itemized list of bills with the actual bills attached, he just says it's not fair. Well, then maybe you should have your cell phone and Dish Network disconnected and give up one of your vehicles? That's not fair, either, he says. "I work hard and deserve the things I have". My response? "Yes, you do work hard. But by working, you earn money, which in turn you use to get the things you want." His response? "Not fair!"
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have to wonder what you're getting out of the relationship, too. He is obviously very self-centered and only worries about what HE gets out of the deal. You deserve better and your children certainly deserve better.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Guess what. There is no "fair" when dealing with a selfish alcoholic. You are in a power struggle. I was in one, too. I fought for years to get him to see and do things my way. And he fought for years against it. You will NEVER win. You will only make yourself crazy. And your children will suffer.

L
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He is supporting us somewhat, on his terms, and what he thinks is a fair amount, based on nothing except what his mind tells him is fair. He doesn't know what the bills are. And, even when given an itemized list of bills with the actual bills attached, he just says it's not fair. Well, then maybe you should have your cell phone and Dish Network disconnected and give up one of your vehicles? That's not fair, either, he says. "I work hard and deserve the things I have". My response? "Yes, you do work hard. But by working, you earn money, which in turn you use to get the things you want." His response? "Not fair!"
This sounds a lot like stuff in the thread about "does your A act like a spoiled teenager" (or something like that I think is what the thread is called). My H has a hissy fit when he can't have what he wants, when he wants it. Living life on life's terms is not something A's seem to be real interested in doing. Our AH's could be brothers- heck they seem to have the same mother!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Man, struck a chord. Same thing--AH totally irresponsible with finances, so I too have had my own account and pay the bills.

Since I've gone on my little separation, I've ignored bills that don't affect me or my credit rating. I figure if they turn off the heat, he'll pay it.

So that's what's happened. The wireless phone service got shut off, and he had to pay it. Man, what a stink! He sent an email to the whole family (a couple of our kids are still on the family plan--it's only $30 extra), complaining about "I can't pay these bills"--what? ONE bill? So when we talked on the phone and he was b*tching and complaining, I said, "Yeah, some bills are really painful to pay. I know how you feel. You know what bills are painful for me? The leasing and commercial loans" (Those are his business bills that I pay because they're on my credit and the house is attached to them--boy was I DUMB to co-sign but that's another story).

That shut him up, and he even said sheepishly, "Yeah, we should talk about that."

I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, if you're looking for a "fair" and objective resolution, try Suze Orman's plan--except don't have a joint account. I'm kind of doing that.

Suze Orman: How to Split Bills @ MoneyMusings.com
Old 04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Guess what. There is no "fair" when dealing with a selfish alcoholic. You are in a power struggle. I was in one, too. I fought for years to get him to see and do things my way. And he fought for years against it. You will NEVER win. You will only make yourself crazy. And your children will suffer.

L
Boy Howdy, LaTeeDa...

Listen to this, she is right. The more you talk, the more he balks. That's the power struggle game.

Fair is a place we go to ride the rides, anyway.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that randomly deciding to give you only 2 out of 6 paychecks is wrong. If he wants to be treated like a grown-up partner, he should act like one.

I would stop paying the bills that are just for him. Since he is keeping so much of his money, he should pay them himself. Actually, a consultation with a lawyer might be the best thing to do right now. You and your children do have rights. He cannot arbitrarily hold back funds.

Just my opinion...but I hope there is some way that he will feel the consequences of his completely unacceptable behavior. You and your 4 children should not have to.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't have a lot of time, but if he is only contributing 1/3 instead of his 2/3 at the moment, it will not be long before you have to dip into savings..so I think this does need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

It doesn't sound like you have a marriage between two partners. I'd be making other plans.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sillysquirrel View Post
Yes, this is the same gem.

Wow. Just wow. Guys like him give alcoholism a bad name.

I think the earlier post that this is about a lot more than money or checking accounts is true. It's about power, nothing more. I would say have a talk about what the money priorities are but the above quote suggests that's a waste of time. You might want to consider talking to a lawyer.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lawyer!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This morning, "R"AH started listing off things he needs.....groceries, shaving cream, underwear, etc. Just a little FYI for me the next time I go shopping. I replied with "I can't really afford to buy those things for you. I have a lot of bills I need to figure out how I am going to take care of." No response.

About an hour later, out of the blue, he says...."I heard you whining about money again this morning. I left one of my paychecks on the counter."

I was whining??? Really??? And thanks for your generosity to give up an entire paycheck to the family. What a guy!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

What are you, his mother? He can't pick up shaving cream and sh!t for himself? His legs broken? Sheesh.

And now it's settled?!?! He would rather give you another pay check than go to the grocery store?!?!? LOL!!! What a goober.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How old is this man????
Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm impressed, if I say something about groceries, etc I get a hundred bucks thrown at me, not a whole paycheck.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
What are you, his mother? He can't pick up shaving cream and sh!t for himself? His legs broken? Sheesh.

And now it's settled?!?! He would rather give you another pay check than go to the grocery store?!?!? LOL!!! What a goober.
Well, that is one of my many jobs. I am the one who grocery shops and gets whatever we need. I am also in charge of the 4 kids and their schedules/appts, meals, housecleaning and I am also self-employed. His job is to provide an income. My point was this....he is no longer providing the income.....but he still wanted me to buy his stuff.....which I refused to do. Honestly, this guy does not think like a rational human being and I am beginning to realize he may not be capable of doing so.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I changed my mind, he needs you.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixilation View Post
I'm impressed, if I say something about groceries, etc I get a hundred bucks thrown at me, not a whole paycheck.
Ahhh, but did you read my original post?? He has gotten 6 (and actually, I think it may be 7 now) paychecks and has only given 2 to us. The one he left on the counter this morning would be check #3 out of 7 paychecks.

He is 40!