I don't know how to ask this

Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know how to ask this

This is so difficult to ask, but I tried searching the forums and even did a search on google with no luck. Here goes... is it normal for an alcoholic to have loose, explosive stools? I think my AH has been having this problem for a long time, but does not admit to it. However, I've noticed over the last several weeks he often is running to the bathroom. Even worse, he often does not make it in time (I do the laundry). Last night I walked into the bedroom and the smell almost knocked me over, and just outside the bathroom door was a mess on the floor. I can't even imagine...

It made me sick to my stomach. Even now it makes me nauseous just thinking about it. I asked him today if he thought he needed to see a doctor, but he blew it off. He denied anything even happend, except the stain is still on the floor. He wonders why we don't sleep in the same room anymore...

I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this sort of thing before? I don't know if I'll ever stop being grossed out by last night...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, my AH has been drinking for a year now and has frequent loose stool so I assume that it is something to do with the alcohol. It would be a good idea for him to see a dr..but of course trying to get my AH to do anything is like pulling teeth, so suggesting it is all that you can do. Best of Luck to you!!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes I read the section for recovering alcoholics for perspective.
I remember reading a few stories about this. Symptoms of detox. From what others wrote, they said it gets better.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In a couple of the Open AA speaker meetings I have attended, the A's talk about losing control of their bowels at some point during heavy addiction. Many have shared stories of walking around drunk at parties with accidents happening, and not being able to do anything about it. Not sure about the loose part though. More lack of control I guess.

maybe he wouldn't be denying it if HE had to clean it up?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding. So true about getting him to actually GO to a doctor...

Shellcrusher, I wish it was due to detox but I know he's still drinking. In fact, this week has been more than usual because of the anniversary of his grandfathers death (grandfather was an alcoholic too...).

I don't even know why I'm asking about it. If he won't go to a doctor I know there is nothing I can do about his condition. I'm not really sure why I'm so grossed out - I mean I have two little ones in diapers so I change dirty diapers daily, sometimes multiple times per day. But this makes my stomach turn...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry. Missed that part.
If it helps you, I really find your choice of emoticon hilarious. I'd be doing that too if my AW was blasting away.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittykitty View Post
maybe he wouldn't be denying it if HE had to clean it up?
I refuse to clean it up! I couldn't stomach the smell and today I still get sick to my stomach even thinking about it! He denied it happened even with the evidence still on the floor and the foul stench in the air (I walked into the bedroom just after it happened, talk about poor timing )

He snuck out during the night and put his laundry in the wash. The only time I've done his laundry lately is if he sneaks it in the wash or hides it in everyone elses stuff. I don't clean up his messes, unless they are somewhere my little ones will be affected - I have no choice then.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Symptoms of detox
No not a symptom of detox. The term on the streets is "Wine Chits". The progression of alcoholism causes chronic diarrhea and loss of control of the bowels. The alcohol is destroying the whole gastronic system in his body.

Of course he will 'deny' as long as he can. His alcoholism is progressing.

J M H O from my own experiences in my own recovery and in helping others.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Um, can't say I ever opened the bomb bay doors in my bedroom, but heavy drinking definitely affected my digestive system. If he's able to get himself to a liquor store and handle that transaction, he's capable of doing his own laundry. Just a thought.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No not a symptom of detox. The term on the streets is "Wine Chits".

Or whiskey Chits, or beer Chits..It's all the same Chit...

The alcoholic will even get the doctors to believe it is acid reflex.
Too much acid in your stomach can cause the Chit's too.

Mine ended up in the ER, with the lining raw in his thoart
all the way down to the stomach. Completely dehydrated.
His skin got super, super dry. Couldnt even keep water down.
Had to get Iv's. ...$15,000 later.....Same old Chit...

Colored underwear is always on his Christmas list...
Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AH has had explosive stools and lots of rectal bleeding. Now that he hasn't been drinking for awhile, it is better. He is only 41 and has had numerous colonoscopies and other procedures done and tons of minor health problems. He is just now realizing his health problems aren't bad genes, it is the bottle of vodka he drank every day.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you asked, ShiningStars, even if it was uncomfortable! When this happened to my AH, I didn't connect it to his drinking, but now it makes complete sense. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh my.....well I do remember one member here sharing that she and her now X AH were being shown a house by a realtor, and he made a mess all over himself and in the empty houses bathroom (no towels, no tp, well......).

I'm sorry you are going through this. Is there any other bedroom in the house where you can stay?

Hugs, HG
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Been there- done that. Thank God I never had to clean the mess up after him. He was always running to the bathroom after a heavy drinking session. He claimed he had irritable bowel syndrome. (yeah, um whatever dude) I always figured it was the alcohol!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Incidentally, when they start getting light-colored, that's a sign of liver disease. As is very dark urine.

Just a fun fact I picked up from living with my second husband...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
[B]

Colored underwear is always on his Christmas list...
i know this is sensitive but had to laugh at that one!:rotfxko

i definatly would not do one stitch of his "dirty" laundry...let him clean his own mess up...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't have the laundry issue "yet" but otherwise, yes. and he doesn't flush. *mega puke*
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes mine had this problem and actually used a wash cloth instead of toilet paper. Which he hung over the side of the tub.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotfxko

This is new to me...or maybe my RAH just hid his chit from me...

I am dying laughing...

That's very bad of me, I apologize for being inappropriate, I understand this is sensitive and worrisome, and I have had two kids so I am intimately familiar with bodily functions, but OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Again. I think its' the smiley hiding under the chair...

Last edited by Tuffgirl; 04-07-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: laughing too hard to spell correctly
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Laughed out loud, golden girl