taking my fifth step today/question

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

taking my fifth step today/question

Hello Friends and Comrades,

I called a nearby (large) Lutheran church last week. (my denomination, although I don't fully subscribe to the dogma - it is comfortable for me though). I asked the question and was immediately connected to a pastor, a female (good) who said she would love to hear my fifth step.

She then scheduled it for today and said that if an hour isn't enough, we can schedule a second meeting.
She said that it would be revealed what it is I should focus on ("character defects") She knew the language, she has experience, and she couldn't have sounded more willing.

I am a little anxious, but now nervous, and a little excited as well.

I know I'm not a bad person; in fact I'm a good person, and I know who I am.
Still, I am proud of myself to finally take this step, and continue to move forward.

The question part is, I just don't know how to move through it. I mean, do I open my 90-page workbook and start reading? Do I read the summary portions? Do I let her lead?

I don't wanna miss the important parts. I know there's no one right way, but if anyone has any response to this, please do so!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

coffeedrinker,

it seems that the pastor knows the way of the twelve steps, and she can tell you where to begin.
this is wonderful for you. step 5 is big. revealing our character defects to another person. sounds like you found a good one to talk to.
i hope it all goes well for you and i will be thinking of you today.

beth.

yep, you are a very good person.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm back.

I wanted to express how wonderful my experience was with taking this step, and share
a bit of the "format".

I "lucked" out and got a member of the clergy, a female, and sat in a comfortable and safe place.
I took off my shoes so I could tuck my feet underneath me on the love seat - a favored position. She offered that she has listened to a number of 5th's, primarily from recovering alcoholics/addicts, and identified herself as an adult child of an alcoholic, with a good amount of exposure to this throughout her family.
Some might be offended with a person listening to you and taking notes, but I appreciated it. It did not feel intrusive, and she did this so she could better notice patterns and things I may want to pay attention to. I told her it was my hope that it be interactive, and she interjected thoughts, grace, and suggestions, many times.
She ended up with suggesting where I might want to focus, and stated a snapshot judgment of me - as a competent, professional, loving, and intuitive person.

I know there are many different ways to do this....I feel incredibly blessed that mine went this way.

-christine
Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW! Just WOW! How do you feel now that you got step 5 off your chest?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
WOW! Just WOW! How do you feel now that you got step 5 off your chest?
frankly, the thing that has weighed on me most about dragging my feet on this, is that fact that i'm supposed to do it. which i'm not rebelling against - i surrendered to the wisdom of the program years ago and do not argue any aspect of it. but i have wanted to be able to sponsor someone, i have wanted to continue to grow, and i knew i needed to actually complete all the steps in order to do those things.

this is how i feel:
what a gift.
i was told i am NOT responsible in any way for being molested as an 8-year-old girl. "but, if i were stronger, had learned better boundaries..."
"nope" was the reply. and it was repeated about five times.

what a surprise.
i thought i would receive absolution, but i didn't expect the feedback i received, and the direction which i should probably go from here.

how do i feel?

i feel more whole.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coffeedrinker...

I'm so glad that you post your step-work. I saw this thread yesterday... and what I "got" from it...

I can't wait to step out of the chaos... stop using my tools to survive... and getting busy working the steps and into real recovery. I WANT that. For years in Al-anon, I saw the steps, knew I had to work them but was so overwhelmed with my life that I never really wanted to work the steps.

I want that. I'm looking forward to getting through the divorce and getting on with living.

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

OOH my friend thank you so much for posting this!! what an awesome thing to be free of all of it!...

big ((hugs))
~Maggie