OT - Key Largo Dive Trip

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

OT - Key Largo Dive Trip

Just got back from Key Largo and what a cool trip that was. There are a ton of awesome wreck dives in the keys and I saw way more critters than I expected. The visibility was not as good as Cayman or Curacao but the soft coral and critters more than made up for it. I did my first night dive and that was both frightening and exhilarating at the same time. No pics of the night dive but a good light is on my short list of stuff to buy before my next trip! The stars you see at night out on the water are just amazing.

Here's a long YT clip with nurse sharks, goliath groupers and a very shy moray eel.
YouTube - Key Largo Dive Trip March 2011, City of Washington Wreck

(Watch it in high def)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Such gorgeous pictures!

I am glad your trip went well.
That looks like a lot of fun!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very cool! I love it when you post about your adventures. You are living proof not only that life goes on, but it gets better.......

L
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So Jealous... Glad you had a good time!!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow!! That is great - beautiful pictures.

I'll just look at the pictures though. All those fish would totally freak me out. You went down there in the dark too - brave man !!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You went down there in the dark too - brave man !!
My first dive in 6 months was my first night dive! Turns out that wasn't such a great idea LOL!! The water was chilly so as soon as I jumped in the shock of the cold hit me and I started hyperventilating. It took me a minute to get a grip and breath easy and shallow so I could go down! LOL!! Then the flash light I had rented only was good for about 10 feet then the beam just diffused into blackness. It wasn't until I descended to the bottom at 30 feet I could actually see something and had a visual frame of reference. Since I was slow to descend the others had a pretty good start on me so for a while there I was alone, in the dark, thinking that maybe this wasn't such a good idea?!?!

But after the first few minutes of the dive I settled down and caught up the the other divers and their lights. I discovered why so many divers love night dives. You see so many more critters and of the type you just don't see during the day. Two foot long parrot fish and crabs the size of footballs. I'm going to have to shop around for a good light for my camera.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I guess living with an alcoholic is good training for shark-petting...

Great pics, looks like an awesome trip!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I guess living with an alcoholic is good training for shark-petting...
:rotfxko
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JACKRUSSELLGIRL View Post
So Jealous... Glad you had a good time!!

ditto
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome jazzman!

You've done what I've never done--pet sharks, yikes! I did "pet" an octopus before though, that's fun feeling them latch on, a little spooky too.

Last diving trip I went on to the keys I missed out on because of a slipped disc in my neck. Spent the week on the balcony with a headache 24/7.

But onto better stories...

if you think that's cold, you should come up here to the Great Lakes and do some Wreck diving. The keys are bath water comparatively, and wimpy dives, smirk, smirk. Now that I'm a little wimpier in my old age I believe my 7mm suit has a lot of dust on it....

I also tried a Cenote in Mexico once...wow was that a trip. Got in a van with a couple Mexican PADI instructors, drove out to the middle of the jungle, looked at a hole in the ground and was told to jump in. It's a very different feeling when there's a "ceiling". A little nervousness.

Don't know when my next dive trip will be. A little jealous...but glad you enjoyed yourself! I can feel the water and sunshine just looking at your picture, so I'll live vicariously through you for a minute and stare at it....
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brokenheartfool View Post
if you think that's cold, you should come up here to the Great Lakes and do some Wreck diving. The keys are bath water comparatively, and wimpy dives, smirk, smirk. Now that I'm a little wimpier in my old age I believe my 7mm suit has a lot of dust on it....

I also tried a Cenote in Mexico once...wow was that a trip. Got in a van with a couple Mexican PADI instructors, drove out to the middle of the jungle, looked at a hole in the ground and was told to jump in. It's a very different feeling when there's a "ceiling". A little nervousness.
Great Lakes would need a dry suit I would think!!! And I'm not cut out for cold weather that's for sure. I might be interested in a Cenote dive at some point, as long as it's not too confining? Heck I have a hard time even watching divers do a "Cenote squeeze" on TV! I'm very claustrophobic.

I'm just a recreational diver who likes to enhance my vacation with two one-tank boat dives in the am, then back to the pool bar for lunch! LOL!! Heading back to Jamaica in July! Woo Hoo!