SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   One week (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/223096-one-week.html)

DonnaJL 03-25-2011 09:24 AM

One week

One whole week without a single cross word between us. It's fantastic. 7 days so far on the medication, he has no urge to buy or drink vodka. I hope it lasts, I like this life. :c031:

DonnaJL 04-08-2011 05:07 AM

3 weeks so far, with no urges for vodka. No fighting. This comes at a really important time too, as my Mother is in the final transition of life and may pass away any day and if he were drinking, he would be no help/support for me at all. I'm not a religious person, but for us, this medication is miraculous, for the lack of a better word.

SoloMio 04-08-2011 05:15 AM

Sounds great, Donna.

I do wish you peace blessings with regard to your mother--I've very sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your partner may be in a better position to be there for you.

Just curious.. what medication is he on?

DonnaJL 04-08-2011 05:34 AM

Thank you for your kindness, SoloMio. He's taking Naltrexone 50 mg. 1 tab a day.

laurie6781 04-08-2011 05:53 AM

I hope for his sake and yours that he is working on the underlying 'symptoms' that lead to the alcoholism/addiction.

The Drug of Choice (DOC) is just a symptom of deeper seated issues that the A must work on to change their ways.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,

Buffalo66 04-08-2011 08:26 AM

Good to hear you are feeling positive. Please try to keep on your path of healing nomatter what happens on his end.

Good news!

DonnaJL 04-08-2011 01:00 PM

I'm happy that he is here for me, my Mom passed away this afternoon. It was peaceful as she was able, through Hospice, to stay at home until the end.

suki44883 04-08-2011 01:16 PM

I so sorry to hear of your loss, donna. Prayers going out to you and your family. :hug:

Thumper 04-08-2011 01:16 PM

Donna I'm sorry. :hug: My condolences to you and your family.

seekingcalm 04-08-2011 01:59 PM

Donna, my deepest sympathy to you at the loss of your mom. I hope you find comfort in the memories you shared, and the knowledge that she is at peace.

DonnaJL 04-11-2011 05:14 AM

Thank you so much for the kind words of condolence. It certainly helps to have a sober partner to lean on at this difficult time. ♥

StarCat 04-11-2011 05:37 AM

:hug:
I am so sorry, at the loss of your mother.
While I still have both my parents, I do remember the loss of my grandmother - she and I were very close in many ways.
She had Alzheimer's, so it was not unexpected, and it still felt like the end of the world to me.

I later learned - it's not the end of the world.
Now you've got one more angel looking out for you.
:hug:

DonnaJL 04-16-2011 07:59 AM

One MONTH sober. :c031: He's going to start tapering off process. Cutting dose by half to see how it goes. He says he doesn't even think about vodka anymore; used to go on the wagon but would always have it on his mind. This med kills that urge.
If he feels the pull starting on 1/2 dose, will go back to full 50mg again. I know that everyone's A is different, but there is change, and there is hope and it is amazing.

jamaicamecrazy 04-16-2011 08:27 AM

First of all...so sorry for your loss. You do sound at peace though with the way things happened and the support you feel is there.
Just curious. Is your H doing other things beside the medication? Therapy? AA?
I wish you and him the best as your life progresses. Please keep us updated. Happy endings give me hope when I need it.

DonnaJL 04-16-2011 05:38 PM

No therapy. He is doing wonderfully and is relieved to be free of the booze. He's just back to himself again. Why did he become an A? Perhaps because his parents were both abusive A's but they are long dead and hopefully if that was what was his demon, maybe it's dead too. Here's hoping.

sandrawg 04-16-2011 06:04 PM

I'm sorry for your loss!

Really happy your H has no desire for A.

I guess the question is, will he have trouble coping iwth rough situations when they occur...that's when the A usually has an urge to drink. When obstacles occur. Sounds like he's handling the death of your mom well. Just be on the alert for coping issues, I guess.

Originally Posted by DonnaJL (Post 2937246)
No therapy. He is doing wonderfully and is relieved to be free of the booze. He's just back to himself again. Why did he become an A? Perhaps because his parents were both abusive A's but they are long dead and hopefully if that was what was his demon, maybe it's dead too. Here's hoping.

Ladybug0130 04-16-2011 08:39 PM

Nice to hear someone is doing well!

DonnaJL 04-17-2011 03:21 PM

The only thing he's having to cope with right now is pain from his sciatic nerve which is caused by a herniated disk. He tolerates pain amazingly well, but this is really hurting him. The Extra Strength Tylenol he's been taking to help relieve the pain can be an issue with the liver, so if it's not one darn thing it's another. He's started seeing an accuputure practitioner, as the neurologist says his only option is surgery since 2 epidurals didn't touch the pain and he isn't keen on having back surgery. Seems like all pain killers are processed through the liver, so I'm really hoping the accupuncture treatment helps him.