SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   The Compliment Thread (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/221625-compliment-thread.html)

StarCat 03-06-2011 10:40 AM

The Compliment Thread

We have such a hard time recognizing the good in ourselves sometimes, but it is easy for us to see the good in others. Some people call this humility, but we take it to extremes.

So why not have a thread where we can do what comes easily to us (complimenting others), and learn to cope with something that is difficult for us (accepting compliments about ourselves from others)?

So... leave a nice compliment for the poster above you. It doesn't have to be anything long, or special, it just has to be true. :)

Since there is nobody above me, I will compliment Kassie, because I got the idea for this from a comment of hers in our F&F Sunday chat. :)

Kassie, you are very warm and honest, and so fun to talk to. You have a different way of looking at things than I do, looking at the same problem with a similar conclusion but a different thought process to get there. I want you to know I value that, and it is helping me get to the bottom of a lot of my "whys" as well.
Thank you.

Kassie2 03-06-2011 10:51 AM

Starcat,

Thank you and hugs. I find you to be a warm, genuine and caring person. You take serious things seriously and funny things funny. I love your sense of humor and different view of situations also. It has been a joy to watch you grow here.

suki44883 03-06-2011 10:53 AM

Least - You have come so far and are such an asset to this board. You are always an inspiration to the newcomers by welcoming them and letting them know that recovery is possible. This board just wouldn't be the same without you. :hug:

StarCat 03-06-2011 11:07 AM

suki44883, you know when to be gentle and when to be brutally honest, and you have helped so many people on this forum as a result.
I always enjoy reading what you have to say, because there is usually something I, too, can learn.

barb dwyer 03-06-2011 12:20 PM

StarCat: I admire your logic and your approach. I always see things a little differently after reading your posts.

FindingPeace1 03-06-2011 12:31 PM

Barb, I posted on your post my love for you, but I can here, too! You bring calm and peace and clarity to the board. You are matter of fact and encouraging and honest. I appreciate your contribution and look forward to your posts.

Hugs, peace

wicked 03-06-2011 12:35 PM

barb,

your way of phrasing your posts is lyrical.
i love it.
you have really made some big changes ,
and made it through some tough times.
I admire that.

Beth

NYCDoglvr 03-06-2011 12:47 PM

Wicked .... thank you for showing up for others. You're a giving person to people you've never even met.

wicked 03-06-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr (Post 2888355)
Wicked .... thank you for showing up for others. You're a giving person to people you've never even met.

Thank you so much for this lovely compliment.
I went back to read some of your posts NYCDoglvr, and you are quite the calm reasonable voiced person.
You support ten minutes or ten hours of sobriety and let them know it can be done.

And, I admit, saying I am a giving person really makes my heart warm.

Beth

:ghug3

Babyblue 03-06-2011 01:44 PM

Wicked, you are just THE BEST.

Your no nonsense but compassionate way of seeing things helps me and so many others. And I know you have a great sense of humor too.

Keep on with your bad self. :)

wicked 03-06-2011 02:09 PM

Keep on with your bad self.
oh, i will!
this is really making me happy today.
wow, i feel understood.
amazing and quite moving.

thank you babyblue,
i think you are very smart and aware,
and I appreciate your honesty and how you have shared here.

I wish you all the happiness you deserve.
And all the ladies here.

Beth

tallulah 03-06-2011 02:27 PM

Cyranoak: You make me go 'yesssss' and laugh (out loud :O )

wicked 03-06-2011 02:51 PM

You are so strong, you could take on the whole world... one cake at a time...
Yes, one cake at a time. Walking will be done later.
;)

selman2 03-06-2011 02:58 PM

Thanking you all

I know I'm green here and full of mixed emotions but I would like to thank you all for this forum and all the words of wisdom I read daily. I have a hard road ahead but I am better today than I was last week and its all because of All of you. Thank you so much.This board is my lifeline

Donald

StarCat 03-06-2011 06:40 PM

Barb Dwyer
Your posts really are lyrical
and contain a lot of insight.
I have also found myself
when I think about something important
thinking like you post
with lots of pauses in between
because it helps me gather my thoughts
and think things through better.
Thank you.

FindingPeace1, when you post, I know my brain is going to have a lot of thinking to do, because you are always asking hard questions, many of which I have tried to avoid thinking about. You are also so open and loving towards others, always quick to point out positive things that someone may have overlooked. I am very happy to know you.

wicked, you are one of the nicest people I know, so I would have said that your name is a misnomer, except that a friend from Boston has educated me about the "real" meaning of the word "wicked," so now I say it fits you perfectly. You are amazing and wonderful in all sorts of ways!

NYCDoglvr, you do not post in this forum, but from reading your other posts, I feel confident saying that you are someone who is always looking to better themselves, and leave "positive footprints" in the lives of all you come in contact with. This is a wonderful gift, thank you for sharing it.

Babyblue, I always look forward to reading your posts, because they always teach me new things, and different ways to look at life. I believe you are smarter than you recognize sometimes. ((((HUGS))))

tallulah, you know when to be gentle, and when to be tough and brutally honest. You know when to ask questions, and when you already know the answers. You know when you have further work to do on yourself, and when you're as good as you can get for the moment. You are an inspiration.

Rayn3dr0p, I love when you come to our chats, it is so fun to talk with you. I also enjoy the insight you bring with you, both in chats and on the forum - you have helped me clarify a great many things already that I did not even realize were confusing me, and I thank you!

selman2, sometimes I forget just how new you are to this forum. You have been making great progress, and really working on yourself, and it is exciting to watch!

Tuffgirl 03-06-2011 07:39 PM

Starcat,
I always appreciate your honest and insightful responses. Your presence here has been a comfort and learning opportunity for me over the last two months, and I have really come to enjoy your posts!
~T

P.S. I too love this thread; what a great ending to an emotional day...complimenting each other!

brokenheartfool 03-06-2011 08:25 PM

Tuffgirl,
I've related to many of your posts as the words could have come from my own mouth!
I admire your resolve and to thine own self be true!

And everybody here--I've gained wisdom from you all.

StarCat 03-07-2011 09:53 AM

brokenheartfool, you are a kind, loving, courageous person who is always actively looking for your own answers, however you can find them. You then brighten the day of those of us here, by sharing that wealth of insight with the rest of us. <3

Cyranoak 03-07-2011 06:28 PM

This is not my natural environment...

...but I'm going to take a swing at this.

Starcat, you seem like a genuinely nice person, I enjoy your posts which are always considered, helpful, and non-judgmental, and this particular thread was a fantastic idea.

Thank you.

Wow, that felt weird.

Cyranoak

P.s. Has anybody else noticed that it's weird that weird has the e before the i even thought there's no c involved? It's always bugged me.

Originally Posted by StarCat (Post 2889361)
brokenheartfool, you are a kind, loving, courageous person who is always actively looking for your own answers, however you can find them. You then brighten the day of those of us here, by sharing that wealth of insight with the rest of us. <3