3 Codie Messages in Song and Literature

Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Codie Messages in Song and Literature

I'm in kind of a... bemused?.... mood at the moment, thinking about some of the songs and books that I LOVED in my past... hmmm, I wonder why?

I was always a big musical theatre buff, and you find LOTS of codie theme songs there!

Here's one, from the King and I:

He has a million dreams that won't come true
You know that he believes in them and that's enough for you
You'll always go along
Defend him when he's wrong
And tell him when he's strong he is wonderful
He'll always need your love
And so he'll get your love
A man who needs your love can be wonderful!
Yikes!

Here's one I used to sing constantly, from Oliver:

As long as he needs me...
Oh, yes, he does need me...
In spite of what you see...
...I'm sure that he needs me.

Who else would love him still
When they've been used so ill?
He knows I always will...
As long as he needs me.

He doesn't say the things he should.
He acts the way he thinks he should.
But all the same,
I'll play
This game
His way.

If you are lonely
Then you will know...
When someone needs you,
You love them so.

I won't betray his trust...
Though people say I must.
I've got to stay true, just
As long as he needs me.
Finally, one of my favorite insights came out of the mouth of my son who was about 7 at the time--I was steeped in all the A stuff of course, with 4 kids to raise. But I LOVED the Dr. Seuss book "Horton Hatches the Egg." I used to read it all the time to my kids--I loved that message about loyalty.

So I'm reading it to my son and I get to the part where Horton has been sitting on Maizie's egg for a year, through hurricanes and blizzards while she's off having fun, because he promised he'd sit on it until she got back (which was supposed to be just a little while, for those who don't know this story). So he's sitting, cold, wet and exhausted. I read to my son his famous mantra:

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant--An elephant faithful one hundred percent."
And my son said, "You mean, an elephant STUPID one hundred percent!"

At least someone had some smarts in the family!

Looking back at what have been my favorite songs and books, it's no surprise how things turned out in my life!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember loving the book the Giving Tree as a little kid and was excited to run into it at the library and checked it out for DS. I remembered it as a story about giving everything whole heartedly to some one you love (which it is).

But when I read it to DS, I was horrified by the fact that the tree gave EVERYTHING to the boy. The boy just kept taking and taking and taking without giving anything back (not even a thank you), until it reached a point where the tree was no longer recognizable as a tree anymore, just a stump. And the tree was still happy about it and accepted being used as a seat as all it needed in return.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So....... how's your Codie Rehab going??
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

This thread made me smile.

To me, it seems MOST music today (I mean, music that still resembles what has been classified as actual music for the last , say, hundred years or so - not screaming/shouting or just jabber droning a monotone rhyme)

... is codie.

"I will love you ever"
"I need you"
"Cant live if living is without you"
"I wanna know what love is and I want YOU to show me"

...it reassures me to see others
going through their music collections
and making adjustments.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
So....... how's your Codie Rehab going??
EXCELLENTLY.

Honestly. And I'm trying NOT to make it PURE vacation--I'm trying to work on myself--I am reading Harriet Lerner's Dance of Intimacy and doing my genogram. I went to a great Al-Anon group the other day. I'm doing meditation and prayer, I'm of course doing my regular work (I have a job where I work from home). I am going to the yoga on the corner and I'm walking to the beach every day to just decompress.

I'm not even going to talk about AH now. I'm keeping a safe emotional distance, but I do call every day at 11:00am. At the moment he seems kicked in the butt and motivated, but that's not particularly why I'm here.

Thanks for asking!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
I remember loving the book the Giving Tree as a little kid and was excited to run into it at the library and checked it out for DS. I remembered it as a story about giving everything whole heartedly to some one you love (which it is).

But when I read it to DS, I was horrified by the fact that the tree gave EVERYTHING to the boy. The boy just kept taking and taking and taking without giving anything back (not even a thank you), until it reached a point where the tree was no longer recognizable as a tree anymore, just a stump. And the tree was still happy about it and accepted being used as a seat as all it needed in return.

I got a copy of that book when I was in college--I remember at least having conflicted thoughts about just the message you're talking about. I felt really bad for the tree, that's for sure.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
I got a copy of that book when I was in college--I remember at least having conflicted thoughts about just the message you're talking about. I felt really bad for the tree, that's for sure.
Yeah, I was never wild about that story either. It was "sweet" but it never resonated with me as a story with a good moral ending. It really made me sad, too. Thanks for validating that feeling.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of my favorites-even though I knew it was a dysfunctional relationship-
Bargain by The Who.
I'd gladly lose me to find you
I'd gladly give up all I had
To find you I'd suffer anything and be glad
I'd pay any price just to get you
I'd work all my life and I will
To win you I'd stand naked, stoned and stabbed
I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had
I'd gladly lose me to find you
I'd gladly give up all I got
To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop
I'd pay any price just to win you
Surrender my good life for bad
To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man
I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had
I sit looking 'round
I look at my face inm the mirror
I know I'm worth nothing without you
And like one and one don't make two
One and one make one
And I'm looking for that free ride to me
I'm looking for you

Relistened to the lyrics recently and definitely heard them in a new light!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just wanted to chime in on The Giving Tree... It used to make me cry as a kid (and because of that my mother made me read it aloud to my younger siblings every single day) and chided me when I got teary. Didn't take too long for me to turn emotions off and then I would get chided for being cold and not acting like I had any ability to see meaning in things. Fun times. It is one book I have no intention of introducing my daughters to!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read The Giving Tree to my kids tonight and thought the same thing, it is super codie and sad. I remember reading it as a kid and not thinking anything of it. The children's book that really seems codie is Love You Forever, it's where "I'll like you for always, love you forever, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be" is from. I like the quote but the book is down right codie creepiness. Most of the children's books we read though generally have some kind of "live and let live" message behind them. My personal favorite is This Moose Belongs To Me.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I posted a couple days ago on one of the 50 Shades of Gray threads about the movie Frozen.

Originally Posted by auroraxborealis View Post
You know, I was late on the bandwagon, but I finally watched Frozen a couple months ago. Still pretty raw, and probably oversensitive, but even that movie's message got to me.

"Love is putting someone else's needs before yours." Well, that never got me too far.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

I've been thinking the same about my own music collection and for the first time really listening to the words, it's all about love, loss and doing whatever it takes to make love work. Maybe we should start posting about music that isn't about this and about music that makes us feel good in recovery that gives us power not the message that we have to give up everything just for love.