Thankful I fixed my manipulation radar

Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thankful I fixed my manipulation radar

Just wanted to say that through everything I've learned in my time here, and other support, I am so thankful that my I'm-being-manipulated radar has been reactivated.

For several days now my STBXAW has been making a big deal about severe pain in one of her knees. She doesn't know how she injured it. She's been taking lots of ibuprofen (on top of the alcohol) but claims that nothing really seems to help and she's trying to decide whether to go to the doctor or the ER.

Me: Well, you're the only one who knows what it feels like and if it needs urgent attention.
Her: I don't want to go to the ER because they won't believe me, they'll think I'm just drug-seeking.
Me: Are you looking for pain relief, or are you looking for diagnostics?
Her: You don't believe me either. I'm just not going to go.
Me: Whether or not you go is on you, that has nothing to do with me.

It's been like this for almost 3 days now. All I know is if it were me, and my knee were hurting the way the story is told, my butt would be at the ER. In the past, I would probably have left work and gone home to take her to the hospital...and wasted most of my day in the process. Not this time!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's like talking to a 3 yr old. Or that old joke "who's on first". I have these kinds of conversations with my daughter and I finally just get fed up and tell her to "stop that crapola" and make a decision.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You mean you're not using your special healing powers to make it all better?

Good for you..

Tx
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. I hope she knows that Ibuprofen and Alcohol is a double whammy - both are metabolized in your liver.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, it gets better. She stopped drinking today and went to the doctor, who prescribed Vicodin. She's probably done with this binge, acting apologetic with severe denial about the state of our relationship. Lots of dots on my manipulation radar tonight...
Old 03-03-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank God for SR, eh?

Vicodin, eh? SCORE!!! What did you say/do when she told you she scored the Vicodin? Wonder how long the scrip will last? Oh well, not your problem unless she is responsible for caring for your son.

Jeez, when are you going to be able to remove yourself and your son from this drama? Are you just waiting for things to get worse or what? I understand and am very sympathetic to your situation with a young child -- I am not pushing. Just wondering where your head is at in this regard.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
when are you going to be able to remove yourself and your son from this drama?
This. You deserve a sane home life jayscott.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jayscott,

I am with tjp on this, the first I thought of was "score!" when I heard she got vicodin.
Sigh....still have those reflexes.
Following the tape through for me gets my mind right again.
I agree that getting away with with your son would be good for both of you.
Drinking and drug seeking were never a part of my recovery.
I am sorry though, jayscott.
It still sucks mightily.

Beth
Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jay,
By my reckoning your child is only 3-4 months old…
Is your wife still nursing while she’s taking vicodin?
I know you said your mom left so who’s watching your child?
I hope you’re still using daycare.
Good luck!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hurtandangry View Post
Jay,
By my reckoning your child is only 3-4 months old…
Is your wife still nursing while she’s taking vicodin?
Excellent point. If this is the case jayscott, I urge you to have a look at Dr. Thomas Hale's Infantrisk forum, which discusses the dangers of certain medication as it is passed through breastmilk.
Dr. Thomas Hale's Infantrisk Forum

I'm a bit supporter of extended nursing, but in your case, it would be best to either use donor milk or formula.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Little J turns 8 months this weekend, he's on formula and solids (which he LOVES) so thankfully I don't have to worry about passing on any chemicals. He's still in daycare, I drop him off in the morning on the way to work and pick him up on the way home. It makes me sad that he spends so much of the day away from family, but it's 2000% better than the alternative.

Last night, I was reading through the thread from the person who just started their 6-week separation and must confess to a bit of jealousy. The divorce process in CA takes a minimum of 6 months, so it's at least 5 months more before I can be 100% confident that the home environment will be free of the see-saw chaos. Her rehab friends and doctors are trying to convince her to go back, which I would support.

And then I would change the locks.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
Her rehab friends and doctors are trying to convince her to go back, which I would support.

And then I would change the locks.
Sounds like you've got everything under control there, Jay. Bless your heart... you're doing real good.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wouldn't it be possible for you to petition for interim sole custody of your son and sole use of the family home, thus forcing her to either a) go back to rehab or b) figure out her own living accomodations. Divorce can come later, but at least starting the process of custody and separation could get the ball rolling.

I'm just saying this because it places you in a position where you don't have to wait after her to make up her mind about what she's doing. You take action and she can react however she wants.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
Wouldn't it be possible for you to petition for interim sole custody of your son and sole use of the family home, thus forcing her to either a) go back to rehab or b) figure out her own living accomodations. Divorce can come later, but at least starting the process of custody and separation could get the ball rolling.

I'm just saying this because it places you in a position where you don't have to wait after her to make up her mind about what she's doing. You take action and she can react however she wants.
This is possible, yes. It's mostly a money thing. I can't afford mortgage, daycare, and the very likely support payment that she would be granted (since she has no income of her own at the moment). Trying to save up some cash first, unless/until an emergency forces immediate action again.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't have any ESH to share.. just wanted to say that you are an inspiration.. love to you and lil jayscott :ghug3
Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Difficult night of keeping my boundaries / sticking to my plan...AW's binge is done and now she wants to talk about rebuilding the relationship and putting our wedding rings back on. Took everything in me to say that I didn't want to put my ring back on, but I said it.

Progress, but feel like a traitor...
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are NOT a traitor! Stay strong...you are doing super fabulous!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. Keep following your own truths. There is a difficult path ahead but it does get better.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jayscott -- reminding you its all about actions...not words...not rings. And not actions for a day, or a weekend....but long term. She sounds like she wants things to be "all better" right now. She wants to be rescued from her pain and these consequences she is most certainly feeling now. This is not the time to back down. Not even a little bit.

Say what you mean
Mean what you say
Don't say it mean

Stay strong brother -- it's working.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Howsit going this morning jayscott?