Give me strength

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Give me strength

I should have known something would go come crashing down when I posted my success in getting to go forward with a home purchase.

I woke up this morning to a notice to terminate my lease. AHHHH!

I have had such a difficult time with my landlord and I was doing all I could to keep things stable until I could move. I have tried to call him. I've left a pleading message on his voicemail to reconsider since I will be moving soon anyway. He has not contacted me back.

Why do good things come at such a price??!

I won't be able to buy a house fast enough. I am now on the hunt for temporary housing until I can close on a home.

My parents were going to pay my way on a family trip to Florida for a couple of days this month and I was really looking forward to some time away and now I've had to bow out of the trip.

I'm feeling very down and very very frightened!!!

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage and strength to change the things that I can and the
wisdom to know the difference. Amen.

Thank you all for being here and listening. Knowing you are here and understand my feelings brings me solace.

Alice
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

You will do great, Alice.
You will find a nice place to stay, and the home of your dreams.
You are a strong-willed, brilliant, wonderful person, and you can do this.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aww. I can't say it better then StarCat.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Alice. I've been in the same situation as you and felt the same way.

Here I was one day being burned by a potential landlord, having 10 days to find a new place to live as I had given notice at my other place, being dressed down by one property manager, feeling like crap after all of this and then the next day,on a whim going to another property agent and finding the perfect little house. I was meant to be where I am and could not be happier.

When all of this happened, I felt very alone, scared and frightened. When everything fell into place was the first time I realizedthat my Higher Power was looking out for me and sending me to where I was suposed to be.

Hugs from me to you, thinking good thoughts that all will work out for you the way it should.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs to you. I sometimes wonder why can't things go smoothly too. Usually I find I can see why things had to be the way they were after the fact.

I hope things work at as smoothly as possible for you and that you soon are in your dream home.

My dream of my own home keeps me going forward somedays too. Mine's a bit further down the road though.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all!!

StarCat can you repeat that to me every hour on the hour pretty please!! I need to hear it. Really I do.

I remember when I felt like my HP had pushed me off the cliff when my EX lost his job and with it our housing. I had begged the landlord to give me an extra month to find housing as the EX and I were also separating and it was just me and all my pets about to be homeless and he refused. I was desperate and scared and didn't think I would make from moment to moment. Not to mention living with an active alcoholic at the time who was spiraling out of control.

I do drag my feet about making choices and I had hoped my dragging my feet in the past was how I was led up to this moment with a chance to own my own home. I've tried to not wait and I've been proactive in this and still I feel I've been shoved right off the cliff again.

I am trying to have faith that it is all as it should be. It is so hard see through the fear, though.

Thank you all for your kind words of support!

Alice
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hugs, Alice. Is this the landlord who would enter your room to turn out lights, etc? (Am I connecting the right story?) Just wondering.

I have faith that your HP will help you find the right place to stay and your dream home, too. Hang in there!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh my, you remember that? Yes, that's the guy!
It was his sneaking in my room and touching my things that go me looking for a new place, which led me to look into housing assistance. That's how I ended up going for a housing program to help me afford my own home.
Guess, I ought to send the old meanie some flowers for being such a catalyst in my life. LOL!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, I remember; but I wasn't 100% certain I was remembering it connected to the right SR friend. Your landlord story kind of stuck in my mind, because I swear one of my old landlords would enter our place through one of the bedroom windows while we were out. (We'd come home and the screen would be off the window, sitting up against the next wall.)

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
Guess, I ought to send the old meanie some flowers for being such a catalyst in my life.
There's a chocolate lily in Alaska, which is fairly pretty, but it's smell matches the landlord's unpleasant behavior.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I'm hoping you get a place to stay soon while you look for your ideal 'forever' home. You deserve a break!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There's a chocolate lily in Alaska, which is fairly pretty, but it's smell matches the landlord's unpleasant behavior.

That is amazing. I never heard of such a flower. Sending those with a "no hard feelings note attached" is entirely passive aggressive and exactly the kind of thing I dream of doing (but never let myself do of course).

At least I feel better just imagining it. Puts a sinister little smile on my face.

I feel so tired of these things happening. Everything has to be a crisis. I know it's codie of me to jump from crisis to crisis.

Did I somehow create this crisis to push myself somehow?? I don't want to keep going through this stuff in the future. If I cause it I want to learn how to stop.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Alice,

Check out the landlord tenant laws in your State. Most States have a whole rigmarole a landlord has to go through before someone can be evicted. (Ask some of the people here who have wanted to kick someone out of their home!)

The process can take months and months. Not so good if you're a landlord, but the laws are made to protect tenants. You DON'T have to honor his notice, I believe. Do a little online research, and possibly speak with a landlord/tenant attorney (a consultation shouldn't be costly). If you qualify, Legal Aid usually has landlord/tenant lawyers on staff.

Hugs, it will be OK.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Does your landlord know you're house shopping? That you're about to leave for a far better situation? That you won't be there for him to creep out? Could this be a reaction to your good news? Whatever it is, Lexiecat had good advice. Find out your rights and don't let him deflate your ecxitement about having a place of your own!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a landlord and I can assure you that you do have many "rights" and can easiliy stall any eviction for months!

Landlords cannot enter the residences of their tenants without scheduling an appointment unless in the event of an emergency ... fire, water pipe broken etc...

Consult a lawyer... or just visit your courthouse and chat with the girls who file eviction papers. They cannot give "legal advice" but they usually can provide you with packets or information on the "process" in your state.

If you tell me your state I can easily find the information that you need...

Do not despair... you will be fine if you take the time to find out and demand your rights under the law!