One step closer to the big goal!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One step closer to the big goal!

Well, I made it over another giant hurdle in my quest to own my own home.

At the turn of the new year, I had decided to drop those folks with all the promises and no results and move forward on my own and pursue a government program to help those who qualify finance their own home.

If I succeeded I could get assistance that would drastically reduce the cost of a mortgage for me and even cost me less to own a home than I currently pay to rent a room in a house.

I soaked up all the information I could, gathered every inch of documentation I needed, and poured over every form required.

I expected a long wait for results and had set the hopeful goal of having my own place before the holidays came around again. I focused on the day and making the next right decision for me. Save a little money here, stretch those dollars are little more there. Keep checking those listings and watching the housing market.

Somehow in just over a month from putting in my application, I got the go ahead for my government grant!! I even got far more than I initially expected. Wahoo! You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I have taken my internet search to the streets and have spent the weekend driving by houses that fit my needs. I am enjoying the sweet agony of trying to choose a home. I am blessed to have the opportunity to afford my own place where I can have my own peace and quiet and enjoy my new freedom.

I hope to be out with my real estate agent this week touring my top choices and putting in an offer, that is if I can ever decide! LOL!

From there the house has to be approved by the program, which is said to be a lot easier than getting myself approved, thank goodness.

I hope this update reminds those who feel stuck in their current relationship the way I did and who think they could never make it out on their own the way I did that there is nothing holding you back but you. Hurdles do exist, but we make them out to be skyscrapers instead of speed bumps out of habit and fear. You can get unstuck. You can make it out there without addiction in your life. You just have to want it enough to not be afraid to try.

Knock and the door will open.
Leap and the net will appear.
Ask and you shall receive.

Best wishes!!

Alice
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so very happy for you, Alice! You certainly deserve this. I hope you find the perfect house for you and that you will finally have security, serenity and peace of mind.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Suki!
It has taken a couple of days to sink in. I found out Thursday. Friday I was just numb and kept waiting for the phone to ring with them telling me it was a mistake.
Still feel like it could all fall apart on me somehow, but that's my fear talking. Gotta keep my eyes on the prize!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's fantastic Alice! I'm so happy for you
One little word of caution though ... DON'T RUSH! (OK 2)
It's a bit like the old adage about marriage ... "Marry in haste, repent at leisure." Same with houses ... make sure you get exactly what you want & need & don't let the excitement push you into settling for anything less.
My very best wishes for happy house hunting dear.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks for sharing these news!! wonderful !!

I know future owners visit the home with an architect so the architect can tell them if it is well built, and all that stuff...

Sending you good vibes
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Fantastic news Alice!!! You and your pets can finally have a place of your own!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

And you get to decorate !! will be time to BUMP all those great threads from FormerDoormat and Live about color palettes and stuff !!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Excellent news!

Yup, the old, "knock and it shall be opened" really DOES work!

Keep us posted!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yay, Alice! Have fun looking!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One tip--make sure that in the back yard there isn't a retaining wall owned by the Homeowners Association that is collapsing and about to tear the foundation of your new house in half!

*This has been a public service announcement*
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a bonus to my current predicament now with my lease terminating in that I am not afforded the luxury of dragging my feet and hoping for something better to come along. I'm notorious for searching endlessly without landing on a solid choice.

The houses I have on my wish list are everything that I've been looking for and affordable so there's no dragging those indecisive feet of mine. Just gotta pick which one feels right.

Oh, and the one that doesn't have a leaking roof, rotting walls, or the retaining wall I've been warned about (thanks for looking out for me LexieCat).

I am longing to hang up curtains and pick out a bathmat and dance with my puppies in the yard on a sunny afternoon!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh,

Well, I sure wish someone had clued ME in on the retaining wall issue--which has cost me 15 grand in legal fees and I haven't even filed the lawsuit yet! Actually, I had the inspection and did everything I could to make sure I was doing the right thing, but sometimes sh*t happens, ya know?

My own yardstick was driving up to look at it, and imagining coming home from work. Would I feel at HOME? The answer was yes. If it weren't for the one issue nobody saw coming, it would be PERFECT. Hopefully, someday it will be, again.

This is an exciting time! Hope it all goes smoothly for you.