How do you feel about using alcohol now?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Posted by Passionfruit: I used to haul 3 cases a week out of there all at one time. He was embarrassed to go with me. If he did, he would insist we only get a 12 pack.
This is way off topic, but I remember when I was young and naive and I'd go to the liquor store to buy a bottle of whatever...and there'd be somebody cruising the aisles loading up their shopping cart with huge bottles of vodka, bourbon, etc. and I'd think, "Wow, they must be having a big party!" Now I size up every patron I see in a liquor store! ... the 60 yr old 'housewife' in the store before 11:00a, the businessman with the huge gut and red nose coming out with a big bottle at 5:15, the guy in line at the convenience store with two 'tall boys' just for the ride home.... I wonder....

I also wonder how sad it must be to work in a liquor store or bar and see the 'regulars' deteriorating month by month

I think they should have AA brochures mandatorily placed by the cash registers just like they have those signs in Vegas that say "Do You Have a Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-whatever."
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

More OT

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
This is way off topic, but I remember when I was young and naive and I'd go to the liquor store to buy a bottle of whatever...and there'd be somebody cruising the aisles loading up their shopping cart with huge bottles of vodka, bourbon, etc. and I'd think, "Wow, they must be having a big party!" Now I size up every patron I see in a liquor store! ... the 60 yr old 'housewife' in the store before 11:00a, the businessman with the huge gut and red nose coming out with a big bottle at 5:15, the guy in line at the convenience store with two 'tall boys' just for the ride home.... I wonder....

I also wonder how sad it must be to work in a liquor store or bar and see the 'regulars' deteriorating month by month

I think they should have AA brochures mandatorily placed by the cash registers just like they have those signs in Vegas that say "Do You Have a Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-whatever."
Has anyone here noticed the way most liquor stores are set up? I was in one the other day (buying my stout) and as I was standing in line, for the first time I noticed the lay out and how conducive it is to alcoholics. The airplane size bottles were in a nice big rack right at the cash register; an easy grab at check out (and an easy way to drink on the drive home); behind the register was all the expensive labels, backlit on glass shelves so the booze just glowed.

Another store had the big bottles lined up along one aisle all at eye level. The beer is at the very back of the store - one must walk by everything else to get to the cheap stuff.

Anyone just musing on the totally off topic post! I am amazed each day at how much more I notice that I never gave thought to before.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

The cheap whiskey is also in the front, behind the counter, and half the stores only sell the pint-sized.

XABF's favorite store started stocking up on half-pints by the caseload, because that's what he always bought.

How sad is that? I am convinced they changed their stocking habits to satisfy XABF's purchasing habits, since he was a daily customer, and would buy three half pints a day.
Back when he only bought one a day, they would frequently be out of what he wanted, so he'd have to pick something else.
When he quit drinking for almost a month, finally broke down and started drinking again, they acted so happy to see him. "We missed you! Where have you been?!?"
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I always wondered who bought those puny little half pints and pint bottles!? They never made sense to me but then again, I never realized how many people keep liquor in their jackets, purses and glove compartments!! And the airplane size bottles?! What a waste! Who would buy those??! Duh!!!

Oh, SR, you have taught me more than I ever wanted to know!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm still working on this.

Just a couple of months ago, I was mad because my RAXH's drinking had left me unable to enjoy wine, which is something I always have enjoyed.

I have since graduated to "you know, I really don't want to drink"...

I expect to go a few more rounds with this before I settle down. I'm going out with some girlfriends tomorrow night, and I may have a glass of wine with dinner and I may not. I don't really care. And that feels pretty good.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StarCat View Post
When he quit drinking for almost a month, finally broke down and started drinking again, they acted so happy to see him. "We missed you! Where have you been?!?"
Ugh. Just Ugh.

My mom is an recovering alcoholic. She preferred beer and wine. To this day, I dislike the smell of both, and the smell of a person consuming them. I know alcohol is alcohol is alcohol, but for some reason, I always considered it a "sloppy drunk."

I know other children of alcoholics who won't touch alcohol, and frown on other's drinking very strongly. I never developed that animosity. I drink wine coolers or mixed drinks from time to time, but I've made it a personal rule to not drink when I'm sad. It only makes me more sad (and slow) the next day. Limiting alcohol to a tasty treat or happy occasions seems to work for me.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My parents drinking made me afraid of alcohol and I never wanted to touch it, that is until I found drinking around the alcoholics who surrounded me for much my life made it much more tolerable to be around them.
Then a couple of alcoholic boyfriends in my adult years and I became an alcoholic myself. I drank heavily during our time together and *especially* after we split. Drinking was our common bond, it's what brought us together (we met in a bar) and what tore us apart.
I see alcohol based on the individual. I fear for myself now when I see alcohol.
I no longer see alcohol as a threat to my safety when it comes into the hands of those I love because I know the scope of the disease as someone who has been on both sides.
The type of alcoholism I know, is from the people who were already really messed up to begin with before they ever touched alcohol. And so I see a bottle of wine or beer much less of a threat to their safety (as well as my own), than the dangers of being a dry drunk which I have found just as dangerous and insidious as drinking.
I have turned my old fears of 'will they drink tonight?' into prayers of hope for them.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Actually I have been questioning lately my own drinking habits.
I really enjoy wine. not really a big beer or liqour drinker.
BUT I AM GOING TO BE BRUTALLY HONEST HERE.....
I could easily drink a bottle of wine in one sitting and probably DO once a week. For Instance:
Early in the week I had 4 glasses of wine.
Later in the week I went for dinner with my friend and we each had 3 glasses of wine and 2 margaritas.
That should be good right?
But I have a bottle of wine here which I am thinking of opening and having a couple of glasses over a movie, when my daughter goes to bed.
So Im thinking ok this means I am drinking 3 times this week!
I very rarely drink consecutive days, I dont crave alcohol, I certainly dont wake up in the morning needing one - ugh! I dont like to get drunk and I can say no and just drink soda in a social situation without feeling 'left out' or whatever.
It does seem that I question every drink I have now, like 'why am I drinking this?'
And I dont know if I should be. I know alcoholism can sneak up on a person but I have drank like this for years and nothing has changed or got worse. Like its never slowly increased, affected my job, my health, my finances. And its like my cigarette smoking - I smoke a pack a week. I can go days without one and it doesnt bother me but I havent quit because I enjoy it occasionally......
SoI think I have just started to look at my own drinking habits because it was so scary what happened to my AH...