OT etiquette question - formal wedding

Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT etiquette question - formal wedding

I have been a loner for the most part these last 2 years in this city.

The last months I have received many invitations to weddings though- I love weddings! (BTW Live I still owe you the pics of my best friend's wedding on the beach!!)

One trick that I used was, I had some pretty dresses I never used, and I put them in my closet with the things I usually wear as if it was that common I went out.. well it has worked like magic (try it if you'd like to get out more often!)

So today I was invited to a wedding, a personal invitation. It will be in a church downtown at 6 PM then the reception is in an open garden close to my home.

What am I supposed to wear?? it says "formal". Does that mean long dress?? bear in mind the weather is warm and by the end of March it will be a sauna.

The bride is Japanese, a very nice woman. Her family is coming. I have a red Japanese dress but I think that would look cheap & wannabe in this occasion.

Now the dirt:

Some years ago in a party the guy was super drunk and even broke a bottle.
I heard them discuss things and I got upset... it was sc
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Formal doesn't necessarily mean a long dress, it just means really dressy. Think little black dress with black heels...cocktail party attire. You could even do a fun little wrap.

I was a bridal consultant for over decade. Just love weddings. I always cried when I flipped the bride's train as she started her journey down the aisle. Funny...I don't have much faith in marriage and love at this point but I still love weddings. LOL!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes one thing is the marriage and another the wedding lol.

Ohhh bridal consultant!! thanks a lot... but hey isn't black a no-no for weddings? perhaps that's just my idea but I thought white has forbidden because its for the bride only and black is forbidden too because it is related with bad vibes and supposedly you are celebrating?

Umm... I think my dresses are for a prom not a formal wedding... maybe some shopping is in order (good therapy!!)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Black definitely used to be taboo for weddings but it has been a very accepted thing for many years now (I think since the age of the "Little Black Dress" or maybe since we all decided that we didn't have to wear pantyhose...LOL!!) I'm thinking you might want to stay away from red. I've never really been big on people wearing red dresses to weddings but also, red is the traditional Japanese wedding color so there is a chance that the bride could be wearing red at some point. The most important thing is that you feel pretty and socially comfortable. Brown is a great option if you like warmer colors. Also, there are some awesome dresses out there in dark grey (which is apparently the "new black" for this year. LOL)

And YAY for shopping!!! I always say, it's not how you feel but how you look that counts. LOL!!! If only...ha!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

LOL...
Thanks for your very useful tips I really appreciate it. I like dark grey.

I love it "we decided to stop using pantyhose", hahaha

Another thing to ponder is that the bride is from the HR floor with all the girly/"fashion statement" coworkers (you should see how they come to the office!!) and I will be around the geek friends of the groom - I don't want to look like "one of the boys" stuck in last decade.. or feel "out"... like just another "rat in the Operations floor" as we mockingly call ourselves...

Dark grey it is...!! Thanks I will let you know how the shopping goes.. I got a couple of friends with great taste and dresses they may have lent me but one is too tall and the other one is too petite!! I wish my sister was around
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yesterday I tried a great dress!! it is strapless, long and has black, white, and dark brown stripes. I hope I got enough $$ to buy it the next couple of days. It is perfect!! if I buy it I will certainly post a picture hope it's still there when I go..

I like it that I get excited again about stupid things !!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Yay! Oooh, I hope you get it. Can't wait for pictures!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like it that I get excited again about stupid things !!

I agree
I love that I get excited about painting my nails or finding a cute pair of sunglasses on the discount rack. I never got excited about those things before. I guess we just now see the value in the little pleasures!

I hope you and the dress can be together. I bet you will look stunning together!

Alice
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks friends!!

Hey Starcat I shared your signature with my sister and she says THANK YOUU it seems she really needed to hear that. I love it too!!

Well I don't think I'll be able to buy it next week!! too many expenses"!! damn. I'll have to wait until the next paycheck. Hopefully it will be there waiting for me! and if not I'll have to continue shopping another thing is that an acquaintance (sp?) that has very good taste (and $$$) offered to lend me one.. but the one she mentioned is a short dress.. is it too much if I ask her to lend me a long one??

The couple also said they welcome gifts in cash. So thanks to their weddings I will continue to be broke LOL. Broke but happy!

ItsMeAlice that's wonderful news! I am also painting my nails sometimes... realizing I am a woman.. perhaps next on my list I may start showing a little cleavage lol.. I have NEVER shown anything! and I am leaving my hair long.. for the 1st time ever I may forget the daily boring ponytail...

In more irrelevant news, I took some makeup lessons and I can tell you it was worth the money, it really boosts my mood when I have my makeup on and I believe putting it on while playing some music, dressing up and having the cats around staring as if thinking "what's up with the vanity of this woman" is one of my favorite times of the day.. I also watch and practice with youtube videos... and now at least I'll save in makeup for parties..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Hey Starcat I shared your signature with my sister and she says THANK YOUU it seems she really needed to hear that. I love it too!!
*Blushes* Thank you.
This is the second time someone has mentioned it... So I wrote it on my whiteboard at work.
It is a good reminder. When I originally wrote it, I didn't realize how much it would mean to me later.

And thank you for posting about the makeup.
I used to think I was the only girl who didn't know how to put makeup on, because XABF was always complaining about how I never did it right, and his granddaughters knew since they were 3-years-old, etc, etc.
It didn't help that his preferred makeup style was more prevalent on scantily-clad women on shady street corners, rather than in a fancy restaurant, but he was always trying to tell me otherwise.
So in other words... I am not the abnormal one?
...that's a relief.

I see no reason to not inquire politely about a longer dress. If she's a friend, the worse that will happen is she says "no."