Been a while...hello..

Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Formerly known as soconfused11

When is it Abuse? Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That?"

When he is so good early on, is he planning to be abusive later?

The abuser doesn't picture himself yelling, degrading her or hurling objects at her. As he falls in love, he dreams of a happy future of conjugal bliss, just as the woman does. He is gazing longingly at the image he holds of the future, where the woman meets all his needs, is beautiful and sexy at all times of the day and night, has no needs of her own, and is in awe of his brilliance and charm. He desires a woman who will cater to him and never complain about anything he does or darken his day with frustrations or unhappiness about her own life. He is largely unaware of these fantasies so his partner has no idea he is looking for morre of a personal caretaker than a partner. In fact, his language tends to be of mutuality during the dating period- I want to be with there for you, etc. He may truly believe his own promises, because he wants to see himself as a generous and thoughtful partner, one who does not use or disrespect women. Later, when he begins to control the woman and take advantage of her, he will find ways to convince himself that it's not happening or that it's her fault. Abuse is not his goal, but control is, and he finds himself using abuse to gain the control he feels he has a right to.

Wow. That is very insightful.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The whole book is like this -- that's why you can't put it down!! It's like "OMG!! All the answers to all those mysteries are right here in black and white!!!"

The title of the book is really perfect, too..."Why Does He Do That??" How many times have you asked yourself that question?? About a bazillion??
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
The whole book is like this -- that's why you can't put it down!! It's like "OMG!! All the answers to all those mysteries are right here in black and white!!!"

The title of the book is really perfect, too..."Why Does He Do That??" How many times have you asked yourself that question?? About a bazillion??
I read that book, cover to cover, in two days.
I used up three Bic pens marking it up, and writing my "Ah-Ha!" moments in the margin.
I even bought a second copy.

It is that enlightening.