Blogs

Notices

Yes, it's me again...does custody keep you there?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes, it's me again...does custody keep you there?

Let me be clear: I will not stay for myself...there is no reasonable explanation for how it would benefit me long term. The biggest issue I worry about in leaving is custody. I feel like I should build some sort of case to support his not having unsupervised time with the children, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that, especially now that he is in another state. Part of me thinks it wouldn't be an issue b/c we would be in different states...he left here...I didn't run off with them. If they're in school, it's not like they can run over there all the time. And honestly, I'm not sure if he'd want them to b/c it would interfere with his drinking. Or it wouldn't, which is the reason I'm worried about it. And part of me says, there is no way any judge is gonna tell me my children can be left alone with an alcoholic. They would be unable to rouse him in an emergency. It is completely unacceptable! So do I have to stay with him just to make sure they're never alone with him??? If so, I can most certainly suffer through...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The best way to get those questions answered would be to consult with an attorney. He/she can let you know what you can and cannot expect to get so far as visitation terms. I do know that some people here have had stipulations put in their visitation orders regarding drinking while the children are present, but each state is different, and the best way to know what's what would be to talk to a professional.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
lillamy (02-11-2011), theuncertainty (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It has in the past, but i'm done being scared.