Seizures

Old 11-08-2003, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Seizures

WELL, AFTER A 10 DAY BINGE ON THE BOOZE, HUBBY DECIDED TO STOP LAST WEDNESDAY (5TH NOV) HE WAS FINE ON THURSDAY JUST KEPT DRINKING BOTTLED WATER, ALTHOUGH HE STILL HADN'T EATEN ANYTHING FOR OVER A WEEK, THEN YESTERDAY (FRIDAY) I CAME HOME FROM SHOPPING AND I WAS ONLY IN THE HOUSE 10 MINS AND HE SHOUTED ME INTO THE LIVING ROOM, AND TOLD ME HE COULD SEE STARS GOING PAST HIS EYES, THE NEXT MINUTE, HE HAD A SEIZURE, IT WAS BLOODY AWFUL I CAN TELL YOU!HIS EYES ROLLED INTO THE BACK OF HIS HEAD, HIS HANDS WENT RIGID, AND HE BIT HIS TONGUE, HE WENT PURE WHITE, AND WAS SWEATING AN AWFUL LOT, SO I RANG THE EMERGENCY SERVICES, THEY CAME OUT, AND HE WAS JUST COMING ROUND, HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT DAY IT WAS, OR THE YEAR, ANYWAY TO CUT A LONG STORY SHORT, THE HAVE KEPT HIM IN HOSPITAL AND GAVE HIM A DRIP WITH SODIUM AND POTTASIUM IN IT, AS THOSE LEVELS WERE DANGEROUSLY LOW, THEY ARE CHECKING HIM FOR DIABETIS ASWELL, AS HIS GLUCOSE WAS HIGH/LOW, CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH NOW.
THE DOCTOR TOLD HIM LAST NIGHT THAT IF HE CARRIES ON DRINKING, HE COULD BE DEAD WITHIN 5-10 YRS, AND THAT WAS BEING OPTIMISTIC HE SAID!! IT'S A HARD LESSON TO LEARN, BUT I HOPE THIS WILL MAKE HIM WAKE UP AND REALISE THAT HE CANNOT DRINK AGAIN, SPECIALLY IF THEY SAY HE IS DIABETIC, AS THAT IN ITSELF IS A CONDITION WHERE YOU ARE NOT SPOSED TO DRINK, I HAD A CHAT WITH HIM AND HE SAID HE WILL TALK TO THE AL-ANON TEAM WHEN HE COMES HOME, AS THEY CAN DO HOME VISITS OVER HERE IN THE UK, I HAVE MADE IT CLEAR TO HIM, THAT IF EVER HE DRINKS AGAIN HE IS OUT OF THE DOOR, AND THIS I MEAN IT, I HAVE GIVEN HIM TOO MANY CHANCES IN THE PAST, AND THIS TIME I THINK ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! SPEAK TO YOU ALL SOON, JANEY.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((( Janey! )))))
Old 11-08-2003, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sdp

Ouch!! That's scarey!!!! Hopefully, that will be a wakeup call for him!!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Janey

My ex-A (heretofore and forever to be referred to as "Spicoli") is a diabetic. And you're right, alcoholism and diabetes is a dangerous combination. I'm guessing that your husband's seizure was due to low blood sugar. Diabetics can't go a week without eating, whether they are drinking their calories or not.
Whenever Spicoli is living a clean and sober life, his diabetes remains in good control. When he's drinking, it usually goes to hell.
I hope your husband will listen to the doctors and get real about his physical health. That usually leads one to getting real about their spiritual health as well.
I'm sorry that you had to live through that awful experience. Don't forget to take care of yourself. This has all taken it's toll on you as well.
Peace,
Gabe