SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Set 1 massive goal. Keep it. Tell us about it. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/219282-set-1-massive-goal-keep-tell-us-about.html)

TakingCharge999 09-15-2011 07:05 PM

Now I want to buy a kitty condo! and take care of roses. And play guitar!

Well, my mom gave me some money for my master´s degree. If I get two scholarships, I might be able to go.

And when I finish,

-I won´t have a job, nor a house, nor a car, nor my cats (hope I can take them with me though) nothing,.. Nothing but some new lines in my rèsumè...

But HP has gave me work all these years, hopefully the trend continues....

They start accepting requests on December.

Tuffgirl 09-15-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 (Post 3106096)
Now I want to buy a kitty condo! and take care of roses. And play guitar!

Well, my mom gave me some money for my master´s degree. If I get two scholarships, I might be able to go.

And when I finish,

-I won´t have a job, nor a house, nor a car, nor my cats (hope I can take them with me though) nothing,.. Nothing but some new lines in my rèsumè...

But HP has gave me work all these years, hopefully the trend continues....

They start accepting requests on December.

You will have:

a sense of a massive goal accomplished
increased self confidence
knowledge that no one can take away form you
more doors opening before you...
leading to a higher caliber of people to meet!

You go girl!

TakingCharge999 09-15-2011 10:04 PM

Thank you Tuffgirl, man am I positive or what :lmao

TakingCharge999 09-15-2011 10:05 PM

Yes I will have 2 years of leading a life in a safer country, that will be priceless

djayr 09-16-2011 02:44 PM

...get legally separated no matter what it takes, and live by myself to see what peace and quiet feels like.

Carol Star 09-19-2011 03:52 PM

update....have another cat, a feral who adopted me....got her fixed free at the SPCA....she has opened up to other cats....beginning to trust me a little.....she's adorable- lived under my cherry bush....named her Cherry.......

limbogal 09-20-2011 12:33 PM

Late on this but what the hell...my own place for my son and I where its a sanctuary and not a prison. T-2 weeks!

ItsmeAlice 09-20-2011 01:32 PM

Reading back it is just so hard to believe I achieved my goal of owning a home!
I couldn't afford to rent and now I own my own house. It still boggles my mind. And with the grant I got, I pay less now in mortgage than I did for that one room in the back of that smarmy guy's house. Never fails to put a smirk on my face thinking of it.

We are still settling in little by little. The pups love their yard, although I am no fan of mowing it. Can't wait until I can one day have a fence put in. Until then they wander on leashes and bark right along with all the dogs that live around us

Home ownership has its challenges, though. Paying all the bills and seeing to all my pets' needs is a struggle. Plus, I've had issues with my car that piled up in the last few months that set me back.

So now I'm am looking for a new job to bring in a more stable paycheck. I love my at-home work, but the pay is up and down and I need something stable full time.

Been sending out those resumes and even applied for a management job with my current company and nothing yet. Trying to stay positive and just keep plowing ahead.

The next big goal is to land a job I can enjoy the challenge of long term and continue my at-home work on a part time basis. This will allow me more income to keep the bills paid, make some personal touches to my new little nest, and achieve my next big goal of paying off a far-too-big tax bill I incurred in the process of leaving my EX.

It's the last vestige of my codie behavior where I covered my EX's behind before my own and it has snowballed unattended to behind more important demands of food and shelter.

I loved reading back on this thread today! It reminded me of how far I've come and how I've already tackled bigger obstacles in the last few years. So when I feel overwhelmed I should remember just how determined I can really be and how I can achieve what I set my mind to do.

Hope to read more updates :)

Alice

blwninthewind 09-20-2011 06:22 PM

Easy one

Get my Licensed Practical Nurse certificate (LVN).

My husband began recovery exactly one month before my classes were set to begin and I was so scared. I had to decide whether I could trust him to support us financially and wondered if it was too much to handle but knew I may not get another chance at the program so I went....

I've dealt with a lot. I've had him manipulate me left and right. Going as far as to tell me he's 'planning on leaving' me when I graduated the night before a big test. This was 6 months before graduation! He radically underestimated me because sure I fell apart but went in the next morning and rocked that test!

We finally settled on a handshake agreement to stay together until graduation then re evaluate.

A week before graduation I told him I wanted out. To which he responded by saying he will fight me for the kids.
Knowing that he has been the primary parent and actually did pretty good job for the entire past year I didn't doubt he could get them (providing you leave out the 18 previous years of alcoholism and craziness). I decided I wasn't going to put my kids through a nasty court battle.
He swears now he just said it to keep me. Fact is he said it. I'm trying to forgive. and I'm trying to move forward. Am I happy? no. But I don't know what I want yet...and don't want to rush when I'm not sure.

The good news is that I graduated my program in August and am now an LVN!! Just found out yesterday I passed the Nclex so it's official I'm a nurse!
Once I have a job (which are actually pretty scarce even in nursing) and am earning a living I'll be much more secure in that no matter what I can support myself and my kids and that will make it easier to really evaluate based on how I feel, what is best for me, what is best for the kids and whether I can move forward in this relationship. Time will tell. Now just praying for a job.

ItsmeAlice 09-20-2011 06:41 PM

The good news is that I graduated my program in August and am now an LVN!! Just found out yesterday I passed the Nclex so it's official I'm a nurse!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

StarCat 09-20-2011 07:42 PM

Congratulations, blwninthewind!
You've worked hard for that, and now you've earned it. That's so exciting!
<3

blwninthewind 09-24-2011 08:50 PM

Thank you.
It's kinda sad that I've been in college off and on for 20 yrs and I have a 1 yr certificate..lol. Goes to say ...life with an AA is a pain in the a#$!

BUT...now the big decisions. I have the oppty to transition to a RN program next year...it will mean another year of school...but I'll come out with a 2 yr RN degree.
that's really what I've been working toward all these years...
however, the idea of going to school again is daunting. I know he will make things hard. He made this past year hell...and I don't' know if I want to deal w/ another year of that again.