SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Set 1 massive goal. Keep it. Tell us about it. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/219282-set-1-massive-goal-keep-tell-us-about.html)

barb dwyer 04-26-2011 02:55 PM

you'll need that book 'the house built for cats' or whatever it is....

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/m...ats-house.html

StarCat 04-26-2011 07:08 PM

That is a really cool link, Barb Dwyer!
I wish I could do something like that - but I've just got an apartment.

ItsmeAlice, I will post pictures. Not much to look at right now, I'm playing with dimensions, but I'll take pictures along the way and post them when I'm done. :)

Shellcrusher 05-20-2011 01:05 PM

It's been a while since my last update.
Jogging: I'm still jogging but the past few weeks have been hit and miss. Bad weather, snow, rain, thunder, tornadoes. Yeah. I've been inside lately.
I'm still on the week3 schedule. It kicked my butt last Monday.

Guitar Lessons: My fingers are very calloused over now. We learned more chords the other night. Reading sheet music or trying to strum chords while listening to someone sing warps my head. It's not ready to handle that input yet but I'm working on it every night. Transitions between chords are going must better and sometimes when I get bored of pure chord practice, I notice I'm strumming off on my own and just making up things as I go. Still very fun.

jayscott 05-20-2011 04:48 PM

Hadn't seen this thread, great idea.

I have something of a hobby of coming up with ideas for big goals. Not so much on the completing them part, though. I like the inspiration behind this thread, though, so maybe my goal is to actually accomplish one of them:
  • Write the book I've been planning in my head for 15 years.
  • Get some of my photography (old or new) off of my walls and into something published or exhibited.
  • Learn how to write an app for the iPad.

m1k3 05-20-2011 07:31 PM

I'm accomplishing one goal, ongoing, by controlling my type 2 diabetes with nothing more that diet and exercise. I was on 3 different medicines at one time but now I don't need any.

My next big goal is to get by blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). I don't know if any of you are familiar with it but it is a very strenuous martial art with very high standards. I've been training as a hobby over the last couple of years but I've decided to get serious about it. I've upped my training to 3 times a week. Not bad for a 57 yo grandpa.

TakingCharge999 05-20-2011 07:37 PM

Wonderful m1k3. The body is amazing. How cool is BJJ? Wow!!!! I have only seen some videos. I love martial arts!! I SUCK at combat though...........

Well, I bought a pool cap to someday go to the "aquagym" and get some lessons so later on I can go and try surfing. Its wonderful!! I made friends with the kickboxing instructor and she also forgot how to swim, so now its two of us saving for our goggles.

I started controlled diet again today.

LaPinturaBella 05-20-2011 07:40 PM

I've set the goal that I will no longer be a "starving artist." There is no reason I shouldn't be making a comfortable living doing what I do and should be booked all the time. I'm damn talented if I do say so myself. I'm thinking outside of the box and am putting together a massive proposal for a home builder to "wood grain" all 156 garage doors and front doors in their most recent development. If I pull this off, I'll be working at least 6 months straight on this one project and will make more on this one job than I have in the last 3 years combined.

m1k3 05-20-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 (Post 2975358)
Wonderful m1k3. The body is amazing. How cool is BJJ? Wow!!!! I have only seen some videos. I love martial arts!! I SUCK at combat though...........

Well, I bought a pool cap to someday go to the "aquagym" and get some lessons so later on I can go and try surfing. Its wonderful!! I made friends with the kickboxing instructor and she also forgot how to swim, so now its two of us saving for our goggles.

I started controlled diet again today.

Do you know how to swim at all? Even if you don't just going and getting comfortable being in water is a good first step.

Good luck with the diet. I've found the best way to stick to one is to get a disease like diabetes where you will go blind or have something amputated if you don't stick to it. You can't find better motivation than that. Although I am amazed by the number of people who have type 2 and make no effort to watch their diet, they just rely on the meds which is not the best approach.

Diet advice -> :a213:

LaPinturaBella 05-20-2011 08:08 PM

That definitely sounds like the best ever motivator!

laurie6781 05-20-2011 09:21 PM

First let me say to Kindeyes this may trigger you, so you might want to pass my post up because of what happened to your dad.

Here goes. For years and years, ever since I was 18 I have wanted to get my Pilot's License. Of course that got delayed by my drinking years and then it got delayed by my recovery, lol

Well last year I started taking flying lessons. Last night I called my instructor as it looked like this mornings weather would be great for a lesson, before our crazy winds came in again and we made arrangements to meet.

I get out there, ready to go, and he says to me:

"Are you ready to do your solo and fly the 100 miles round trip out to Deming (actually about 110) and back?"

Gulp.

Well I guess so. He!! yes.

Now I cannot tell you all the emotions I went through in 30 seconds but getting down to the business of my preflight check off list of the plane and then getting in, I did get centered.

To make a long story short, I now have my 'temporary' Pilot's License VFR (Visual Flight Rules) and should get my actual license in the next 2 to 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be 66 the first of July, roflmao

Now I start working on getting my IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) so that I can fly anytime, day or night, cloudy or clear, etc

But I did it!!!! Damn. I have a great instructor and he knows me well enough that it was best he gave me no warning, lmao

So ............................ on to my next goal my IFR.

Have a great weekend folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,

TakingCharge999 05-20-2011 10:46 PM

Laurie were you wearing cool aviator glasses? Wow!!

mike my kickboxing instructor also told me similar things, how she could not believe some ppl just wonīt take care of themselves even when they have major health issues. Well, to each its own I guess! my "diet" is a little bit strange, its just avoiding certain group of foods for a week. This week is fruits. I have gone through it before and I feel better for some reason......... I avoid many of the bad things and feeling great is the best motivator, I found I ate many sweet things because I was lacking love and sweetness in my life . Now that I have more of it I donīt feel many cravings... I love organic food.. fresh food.... whole grains....

Good job taking care of yourself! feeling healthy is the best motivator for others, at least when I see someone looking healthy, and with a positive attitude I am reminded about the things I need to do to feel that way too.

Another great thing is that my therapist taught me not to compare myself with anyone and even if I gained some pounds I am nor worried nor feeling bad about myself. I see women in much better shape all stressed because this or that...

mike I used to be a good swimmer but now I forgot!!! then I got scared one time while snorkeling, almost drowned and didnīt want to be in the sea ever again but slowly I have overcome that and am able to get in again and enjoy it very much. But those have been tranquil beaches where you donīt have to swim much and its more like a pool..... small steps!!

LaPinturaBella 05-20-2011 10:49 PM

Laurie, that is sooooooo cool! Congratulations!!!! It's never too late to realize our dreams.

TakingCharge999 05-20-2011 11:34 PM

LaPinturaBella I wish you all the best in your artistic endeavors (sp?).
I am starting to have some ideas about selling some paintings, terrified of.. SUCCESS.. LOL

BTW I love your avatar, is it from Dalė?

pixilation 05-21-2011 12:34 AM

Moving out:working on it
called about an apartment today. Heat paid, inexpensive. Hopefully it won't be a complete dump when I go to check it out on Tuesday. Will call about a few more apartments in the morning.

StarCat 05-25-2011 06:21 PM

Alright, I think I mentioned somewhere that I was going to start growing roses on my balcony. :)
I now have my first bloom! This type of rose is called "Climbing Rainbow's End" and will have a bit of multi-color in the roses. You can see a touch of pink in the bud to the left. There's also the possibility that the roses themselves will be different pastel colors from each other - yellows, pinks, and oranges - all on the same plant.
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9527/dscf1156e.jpg

My other three roses won't bloom until later this year (two are much younger, and the third one was pruned heavily before shipping).
In the meantime, though, this one is going to be blooming a lot, it's got quite a few buds waiting to open, and some new ones on the way, even.

I also promised to post some pictures of Peaches' kitty condo, once I finished it. Here's the one that I built. Not too fancy, but certainly sturdy, and she loves it.
It took about a month to build, give or take.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7207/dscf1141uf.jpg

And there was a store model on sale for really cheap (comparatively speaking), so of course I had to get her that one too. She loves playing on it when I'm on the computer. This one took about 20 minutes to put together - it really feels like cheating!
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9086/dscf1145ej.jpg

Shellcrusher 06-21-2011 02:25 PM

Bump for the update:

Guitar classes continue. I've moved so far beyond sore fingers. Now it's 2 chords in the same measure. Reading music isn't so hard. I at least know where to go when I get lost, which I do often. I hear we're learning triple strumming this week.
Transitions between chords are getting faster and faster and more times now than naught, I'm doing it without looking at my fret hand. Progress my friends!

Jogging? Bah! I fell off the wagon here. I wish I didn't but I did. I'll pick it up again. After I mow the lawn!

Shellcrusher 09-15-2011 01:14 PM

It has been a long time since I've updated this thread.
Heck, it's been a long time since I've visited the site. Perhaps that's something for a different post.

Anyway.

Guitar Update: I "graduated" beginner classes last night. We had to pick a song on our own, read the tabs, figure out the rhythm and play it in front of everyone else.
I did fine. There was no failing grades handed out. :)

Anyway, that goal is complete! I can play the guitar as well.

What does the future hold? I already signed up for intermediate classes and will continue to play. Side note: I think an electric guitar is in my future!

Rock on!

nodaybut2day 09-15-2011 01:38 PM

My massive goal is still underway. I've just finished my second grad course and will be starting my third in mid-October. I've also had some interesting conversations with my current tutor and we've discussed the idea of my changing programs for something a bit more...hands on. The course I will be taking next month is common to both my program and the one I'm considering switching to, so it'll give me a good idea if I fit in there.

So, 2 courses down, 8 more to go!!

Tuffgirl 09-15-2011 02:37 PM

Oh wow - I had forgotten this thread, thanks shellcrusher for the bump.

Just yesterday I met with my adviser to schedule my final three courses and begin my thesis to finish my MPH. Three more courses...sheesh...I need to quit procrastinating and just finish. Shame to get this far and quit!

StarCat 09-15-2011 06:47 PM

I am still plugging away at my first goal, to eliminate my debt.
Still quite a ways to go yet, but in the meantime my bills have gone down, and my credit score has gone up, which are both two very good things. :)