SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Set 1 massive goal. Keep it. Tell us about it. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/219282-set-1-massive-goal-keep-tell-us-about.html)

Sylvie66 04-11-2011 10:11 PM

Wow, these are fantastic!!

I started running in September, and just cleared my Massive Goal on Saturday of running a 10 mile race in under 2 hours! (I did better than 1:59, too... I got in at 1:54!!) This is huge, since I had pneumonia for a long time 3 years ago. Running partners rock!

My next goal is to get us moved into a little apartment or house in town asap. Current rents are ~US$1200. Gulp. Wish me luck!!

- Sylvie

Carol Star 04-12-2011 05:43 AM

I am painting little pics.....did some of farm animals for a friend who had a baby, a pic of some cherries, a fake Van Gogh copy, am having fun with it........flowers........mountains......fun

Shellcrusher 04-12-2011 11:37 AM

Update to Running goal:
Got the Shoes.
Got home early.
Got the run completed.

It felt great. I had a sweet body high and knew the dopamine was flowing. Totally natural. I screwed up the walking portion so my next run will be corrected. (I walked 2 minutes versus 90 seconds between 1 minute jogs)
I kinda wish I had a scale to compare starting weight versus anything lost.

MeredithD1 04-12-2011 11:35 PM

Thanks for this topic, and for bringing it up again.

I decided last October that I would join a gym and work out. I did. I've worked out six days a week, intensely, since that time, except for when I had bronchitis in January and the flu in March. After each illness, I resumed working out and it didn't take long to get up to the level where I was before I was sick.

I'm very proud of this because nothing outside of myself and my personal circumstances that involve JUST ME, will get in the way of this very wonderful thing in my life.

Shellcrusher 04-15-2011 10:58 AM

Update to jogging and Guitar goals.

Jogging:
Tonight is W1D3 (Week 1 Day 3) I found out I wasn't running the right amount of time. Should be 1 minute of running. 1.5 minutes of walking. Tonight is the last of that schedule. Next Monday I start 1.5 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of walking.

I have a scale on order. My face is already thinner and my pants seem to be not so tight.

Guitar:
I had my second class this last Wednesday. My fingers are getting stronger and harder. I can practice for longer periods of time. We learned 2 more cords on top of the first two from last week. We're moving between all 4 cords and I'm finding that hard to do. No muscle memory yet. I'm also looking into buying my own guitar. Maybe today I'll sneak out and look at a few. I have an idea of what I want to buy and how much I want to pay. Seagull Original S6 seems like the right ticket.

Tuffgirl 04-15-2011 12:05 PM

Shellcrusher - my 14 yr old just started guitar lessons, too. She LOVES it! But does say it makes her fingers hurt. I heard her last night strumming away (horribly off key) singing some song she wrote about a boy (of course) it was so cute I wish I could have secretly recorded it!

Enjoy your lessons!

ItsmeAlice 04-15-2011 12:25 PM

Well, it's now official....All the paperwork has been submitted. The government grant folks have finally stopped asking for copies of forms I have already sent them more than once.
I received an actually written notice in the mail from them that they intend to pay my grant and fulfill the loan on my house.

The closing has now been set for April 29th at 10 am. My realtor wants to get it officially recorded by the end of the day so I can take ownership by the weekend.

I'm speechless and that's not typical Alice. LOL!

I'm actually trying not to think about it because I start to shake when I do.
Not sure if that's excitement or sheer terror.

I hope it's just the former.

Gotta wait 2 more weeks....I'm almost there.

Alice

Tuffgirl 04-15-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice (Post 2936042)
Well, it's now official....All the paperwork has been submitted. The government grant folks have finally stopped asking for copies of forms I have already sent them more than once.
I received an actually written notice in the mail from them that they intend to pay my grant and fulfill the loan on my house.

The closing has now been set for April 29th at 10 am. My realtor wants to get it officially recorded by the end of the day so I can take ownership by the weekend.

I'm speechless and that's not typical Alice. LOL!

I'm actually trying not to think about it because I start to shake when I do.
Not sure if that's excitement or sheer terror.

I hope it's just the former.

Gotta wait 2 more weeks....I'm almost there.

Alice

OH congratulations...and from one new homeowner to another - such exciting news! And the 'excitement to sheer terror' is normal...I still feel that mood swing...have to talk myself down from freaking out about the big unknown after signing my life away for 30 years!

:bbk:

theuncertainty 04-15-2011 03:52 PM

Alice, if you can hear some one cheering and jumping up and down, it's me doing DS's Happy Dance for you. Yay!!!

MeredithD1 04-16-2011 05:57 PM

:c014: YEA~~~!!! That's AWESOME!!!

drowninginair 04-17-2011 10:37 AM

my goal is join to al-anon and rid myself of guilt.

i also start a new postion on april 25; part of my compensation is 100 percent tuition reimbursement and i can start my nurse practioner

Shellcrusher 04-26-2011 11:20 AM

Too much nuttiness going on around here.

So tops to my goal setting thread. Let's take a break and get our minds moving in a positive direction.

Here's my update!

Guitar - My 4th lesson is this week. My fingertips are rock hard. I complained when they hurt. Now they're so callous, I can't feel the darn strings. Bah!

Jogging - I just completed W3D1. Week 3 Day 1. My knees are hurting.
Here's the setup.
5 minute brisk warm up walk.
90 second jog
90 second walk
3 minute Jog
2 minute walk

Repeat that cycle.

My lungs can take it. My muscles can push on. My knees are struggling.

wanttobehealthy 04-26-2011 11:26 AM

I've been running a lot more lately. I've decided that I am going to run the NYC marathon in the Fall. I ran Boston about 10 yrs ago and have wanted to do another since. I am in better shape now than I was then but psych myself out of doing so and give up on training (or HAVE). So, I have a plan I downloaded from online and it's a goal.

StarCat 04-26-2011 11:31 AM

My new crazy goal is to build a Kitty Condo for Peaches.

So far I have two remnant rolls to resurface things, two coils of rope, a couple brackets, and some nails. I know the wood I want, I just don't know dimensions yet so I'm not going to buy it until I can tell them how to cut it.

I have no plans, I am inventing this as I go, and it is SO MUCH FUN.

barb dwyer 04-26-2011 01:14 PM

My goal (skewel) is moving right along.

I got sick
had to take all these antibiotics that made me throwup
and missed two WWEEKS of class.
I've been working...HARD
to get all tha tback online and now it's finals.

Don't know if I'm gonna make honor roll this semester
one class looks like it's going to insist on being a 'c'
but c's get degrees!

SO IT'S A MASSIVE GOAL
AND IT'S STILL UNFOLDING

blueblooms14 04-26-2011 01:16 PM

I am going to pass the bar exam here. That's my goal. But really my goal is to switch my thinking about it. Its been 18 years since I've taken a bar exam, and my brain has felt slow and my attitude and anxiety levels has been negative. However! Yesterday I took a multiple choice pre-test (sample MBE for the lawyers out there) and scored a 67% without having studied (or practiced in) 2/3 of the subjects at all yet. I'm tickled. 3 months until the exam and this is looking very doable.

So my other goal is study daily and wisely, to master this, and to rework my thinking. My daily mantras: "I am so excited to take this exam! I am really enjoying refreshing myself on some of the material and truly learning the rest of it! This is SO fun!"

barb dwyer 04-26-2011 01:22 PM

taking the bar *IS* massive hooray for you!

blueblooms14 04-26-2011 01:42 PM

Good luck on your finals, Barb! This is exciting!

ItsmeAlice 04-26-2011 02:09 PM

Oh my word, you school girls are amazing! I went back to school to do my transcription gig and I had such a hard time focusing. I say life got in the way, including my XABF, but really I just shut down when something doesn't click right away.
My hat is off to you both !!!!!

StarCat, I love the idea of building something for your cat.
My father, the engineer, got me started with building a simple scratch post for my cats and it wasn't long before we were planning and building a 7-foot high carpeted loft for them in the room I previously rented. With three cats and two dogs living with me in a one-room/bath suite we needed to use every available space and the high ceilings were the only space left. We carpeted one leg and I added a carpeted shelf and they took to it like monkeys in the jungle.

Now taking it down by myself was a challenge when I moved because it weighed a ton, but I managed to do it. Now I'm moving in my very own house soon and I'm thinking of all they ways I can re-purpose it in the new place for their enjoyment. Maybe a recreation area in the room I want for my work-out gear? I'm thinking hammocks, shelving, maybe a slide, who knows, the sky is really the limit. Can't wait to get started on it.

When you get yours built, post pictures! I'd love to see your creation :)

My house closing is still set for Friday morning. I've reserved a moving trailer (dear Lord, I have to move again?!) and have started getting utilities set up to start after I take the keys. Still busy busy, but it's coming together slowly.

Shell, the running sounds tiring just hearing about it! Are your feet as calloused as your fingers?? Just curious, you don't really have to tell us about your feet if you don't want to. ;)

Alice