Anyone else feel jealous?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Coyote, don't know what you do for a living, but you should be a comedian or an author or both! You crack me up! I needed the chuckle.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Corkel,

Thanks for your honesty. It REALLY hit me in a certain way... not that I feel jealous really, but lately I've just felt as if I'm between a rock and a hard place--so it's more frustration. My AH is not ready to surrender. I'm sick of being the sidekick (designated driver/go-along/etc.) So... if he wants to have "fun" he just goes for it. If I want to have "fun" I'm still the person at the reins riding the wild horse. Not fun.

I agree that if two people are more in sync with their values and their behavior, they're probably better off. I don't really think that assumptions about the couple next door are valid because I know for a fact that when it comes to suffering, pick your poison--we all are subject to it. And we REALLY don't know what our neighbors are experiencing. Your friends, as wonderful as their love was, certainly had an incredible amount of suffering to endure.

I just read an interesting quote that suffering is refusal to accept what is. At Al-Anon we discussed the difference between pain and suffering, and we couldn't really figure it out--but then I found that quote.

So, would I like to have an husband with whom I could just have a couple of drinks at the local wine bar on a Friday night? That would be awesome. But I don't.

Fun for me right now is realizing the wonder of whatever moment I am seizing. Right now, I suspect AH is out having a few with his buddies. I'm at home alone, working on a report. Seems a bit unfair, but it doesn't matter. I am looking out my window at the beauty of the snow. He's fighting his demons at a bar. And who knows what my neighbors are up to. But it doesn't matter--because I have the beauty of the snow.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So, I didn't think I was jealous, I still don't think I am. What I didn't recognize, which I do now, is the sense of loss that I feel. I have never truly had that relationship with someone. I thought it was, in the beginning, with my XAH, but I was just young and didn't recognize the alcoholism. I just thought he was.....eccentric? I feel right now, just reading this thread, so very sad. I am happy that I am out of that disfunctional relationship, but now I feel very, very sad.
M
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corkel View Post
While crying to me on her birthday, he said, I miss my wife so much, I just want her back, I would carry her up the stairs a thousand times a day if I could just have her back.

thinking then they would have it all, and they already did. They sure did. They had real, pure love for each other.
Are you trying to make me cry?

After being "pampered" financially in an addictive dysfunctional marriage, this above speaks to me.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyBetterWorld View Post
So, I didn't think I was jealous, I still don't think I am. What I didn't recognize, which I do now, is the sense of loss that I feel. I have never truly had that relationship with someone. I thought it was, in the beginning, with my XAH, but I was just young and didn't recognize the alcoholism. I just thought he was.....eccentric? I feel right now, just reading this thread, so very sad. I am happy that I am out of that disfunctional relationship, but now I feel very, very sad.
M
I totally get that and I cried reading this thread and posting my response. It is such a sense of loss. A loss of not just the relationship I had, but the dream I wanted and I couldn't put my finger on what else it was. It was a loss of something more and I think your words I have never truly had that relationship with someone. shed some light on it. That is true for me too and I feel a loss of hope that I can ever have that. That it just is not something I was meant to have in this life. I know that isn't really logical but it is a powerful feeling.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corkel View Post
I mean of the "normal" relationships you see all around you?....... Just can't help feeling jealous of other couples out in public when I know I don't have that and that's all I wanted.
Oh yes, Corkel. I feel envy when I see "normal" couples. I miss miss all that togetherness. I used to have that. I had it for over 20 years until my husband started drinking.

It took me many more years to realize that my partner and best friend were gone and not coming back.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I really think I'm wistful, not jealous. You know, "I want that" without the green-eyed monster aspect... (Does that make sense?)

And it's not usually when couples are all lovey-dovey (that kind of makes me roll my eyes right now ) - it's watching couples disagree or argue without one of them resorting to intimidation or name calling or blaming the problem on some one being frigid because 'that's the only problem with this marriage'; it's watching them be able to reach a point where they either agree, or compromise, or agree to disagree and let it go.

I want that. I want to be able disagree with some one without being afraid; I want some one who will listen to my side of the argument, and respect what I have to say even if they see the issue in a completely different manner.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't think I'm jealous but seeing those couples makes me sad at the choices I've made. I feel like I've lost time that I could have been in a better situation and focused on other things such as buying a new house together or fixing up a house, decorating - those would be our biggest problems.

Of course when we were dating, other couples like what are you describing (and my ex called boring) envied us because they thought we were having so much fun and living it up. Makes me wonder if we always think the grass is greener elsewhere.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm sorry! I didn't intend on making anyone sad with my story. A lot of us are already sad enough I know. Just mourning the loss of my best friend and dealing with AH makes my head want to explode. Just writing it out I guess.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

goldengirl, I think you got it right, don't know if jealous is the right word. I'm also sad and even mad at myself for the choices I've made. I've wasted so much time. But I keep thinking about that old saying.. "When you know better, you do better"
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When you know better, you do better
Right on!

My counselor tells me that I need to find "thicker ketchup." I feel like I find thicker ketchup with each relationship, but yet still settle for one level above piece of crap. lol. Hopefully I'll get it right one of these days.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"one level above piece of crap" priceless! I think we just need to have our BS antenna up in the future. It's like they all "trick ya" in the beginning.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
That's the love I envy. When all the baggage is behind you and it's just the two of you accepting each other as you are.
There was an episode of Frasier where Niles and Daphne were enamoured with a sweet old couple and looking up to them in the hope that they would be like that in the future. Turns out the old man was married to someone else and the old lady was his other woman. Elderly people aren't free of complication either.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brokenheartfool View Post
That old couple...that's probably when I'll get it right. I wonder what it's like to find peace and harmony at 80. Some guy picking me up with his "walker" and sharing a ride.
Why wait.. don't you deserve it now? ;-)

Well, maybe the walker is a bit premature.. aim for one with a nice car/bike... lol
Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Corkel - you just described my grandparents. Until the very end they couldn't even pass each other in the hallway without touching each other. 55 years of marriage. When my grandpa died, alone in the hospital, my grandma couldn't forgive herself. She had gone home to get some sleep and take a shower...and he died while she was gone. She told me that she never questioned that she would be with him some day when he took his last breath. That they were meant to do that together. It broke my heart.

Thank you for the story and for reminding me that not everyone really is F-ed up. I'm just in a bad place today and I appreciate the story of love and hope.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I remember feeling that way when I was with my AH. It seemed so unfair that other people could have what I so desperately wanted, yet I didn't have it.

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
I just read an interesting quote that suffering is refusal to accept what is. At Al-Anon we discussed the difference between pain and suffering, and we couldn't really figure it out--but then I found that quote.

So, would I like to have an husband with whom I could just have a couple of drinks at the local wine bar on a Friday night? That would be awesome. But I don't.

Fun for me right now is realizing the wonder of whatever moment I am seizing. Right now, I suspect AH is out having a few with his buddies. I'm at home alone, working on a report. Seems a bit unfair, but it doesn't matter. I am looking out my window at the beauty of the snow. He's fighting his demons at a bar. And who knows what my neighbors are up to. But it doesn't matter--because I have the beauty of the snow.
I'm with you Solo. I don't feel that jealousy anymore because I recognize that other people don't have it so much better than me, they just have something different. And I don't really know what their life is like based on an observation of a few minutes in the grocery store, or wherever.

I'm grateful for the times with my husband that were special and profound. When we had that "connection." I don't feel cheated because it didn't last forever, instead I feel blessed that it ever happened at all. I've come to appreciate all the good I've had in my life, and all the good I have right now. And who knows what the future holds?

One thing I know for sure is that there is nobody on this earth who can "make" me happy. That's my job.

L
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Envy or jealousy is a complete waste of time for me. No one has the perfect life, relationship, kids, job, etc etc.

My brother sent out a Christmas card with the happiest family photo of his wife and kids in the snow all smiles. Truth is, he moved out, can't stand her and she filed for divorce. He just craves that appearance relationship.

My best friend had the perfect family for 6 years until her 5 year old was diagnosed with cancer and passed away.

As for the old couples, you don't know what they've gone through to get to that point. Maybe lots of hardship.

It is all relative is my point. I try to focus on what I do have.