Partner Problems

Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Partner Problems

Hi,

Just posting as I don't know where else to go. My partner of 2 years is recovering - mostly. In her previous life she was a heroin and crack addict, with alchohol to boot. She gave up the class A about 5 years ago, but the drinking continued until she was hospitalised with pancreatitis (8 times in the last 2 years). By chance (million to one) she fell pregnant at the back end of last year and on her last hospital visit, detoxed whilst in hospital. She has spent the last 5 months sober(ish), with only 1 confirmed lapse - which was last night. Whilst having a heated discussion with her son, which she pretty much lost, her behaviour swung, up until the point she started talking about running away - something she used to do constantly until she gave up the drink. In a somewhat misguided attempt to make her see how she was behaving, I said that she was behaving exactly like she was when she was drinking.

Net result, she unwrapped a present for her step-father (a bottle of whisky) and drank 3/4 of it in one go, then stormed of to her mothers.

She returned a couple of hours later, tearful and apologetic, and attempted make-up sex... A dismal failure, as I just didn't find her attractive, and was still smarting from some serious personal insults she had made before storming off.

Obviously, this really hasn't helped things, and theres been a stoney silence since.

Its not helped by the fact that I live approx 120 miles away and can't be there daily.

I know theres not much that can be done, just needed to vent a little. I'm madly in love with her, and terrified of the damage she is doing.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi,

Sorry for your worry. Is she getting any kind of help for her problem? Are you getting any for yours?

Hope you can check into some Al-Anon meetings--it was a great help for me when I was dealing with the alcoholism of people I loved--both while they were drinking, and while they were in recovery.

Keep reading and posting here, too--it helps.