jayscott

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

There are options. I wouldn't sign anything that is for sure.

She can go to job service and get a job. That is what most adults do when they need income. Of course alcoholics, IME, rarely come to that conclusion.

She can sign up for low income housing. I discovered that unemployed alcoholics can get an apartment for $25/month. The divorce petition had already been filed and I think he showed that for proof so my income did not count.

She can call someone else to sign for her.

She could always go to rehab.

Where I live support orders are verifiable income. Do you anticipate that happening?

Do you have cash lying around? If you think you'll end up splitting $$ in half anyway you could have the lawyer do whatever they need to do to say that x savings was split prior (so that you don't have to split the remainder again) so she has some cash. You'd need to talk to you lawyer to get advice on if that was wise or not. I did something similar - it was his retirement $$ that he cashed in. Not that she would use the cash wisely (my xah didn't) but it was enough to make it possible for him to pull it off and I felt OK with myself.

I've made some poor decisions (enabling ones) so wait for further feedback
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I had to go back through your posts real fast and now I'm left with some questions.

Do you have a lawyer?
Wasn't your hearing today?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thumper is right in that there are options. Please don't let her convince you that you are the only one who can help her. There are plenty of options out there. She may not especially like them, but that's also not your problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Holding tight with the money for now. There is cash in the bank, but not in an account that she has access to. It's a community property state though so she'll almost definitely get something, and she's pretty likely to get a temporary support order. California formula is 40% of my net income as a starting point (ouch).

She's also trying to sign an 8-month lease, which I don't understand at ALL. Last thing I would want to do at a time like this is commit myself to a long-term contract like that. So exhausting...I might talk to her parents and see if she could go back there for a while.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I should add that she has been looking for a job for a couple of weeks now, in that she's submitted some applications. I'm going to wait and see what happens in court on Thursday; if they say I need to pay support for now, then that's what happens, but I'm not going to do all the work for her. (She said it was "my job" to setup her utilities and renters insurance because she doesn't have any money or income.)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
So exhausting...I might talk to her parents and see if she could go back there for a while.
I would let her talk to her parents if she wants too.

This is when I had the mantra 'Enabling is what I do for others who can not do it for themselves.' and I literally sat down with that each and every time I was going to do something to affect his life. It was quite sobering because I began to realize how much I did - and how much that damaged both of us in the long run.

She is a woman with at least an average IQ, she can think, read, write, and use the phone. She can figure this out.

Basically if I could figure it out, then so could he.

You have enough of your own stuff to figure out.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

(She said it was "my job" to setup her utilities and renters insurance because she doesn't have any money or income.)
Sorry, but that is total BS! Your job is to keep yourself and your child safe from her. She is responsible for her own living arrangements. Why should you talk to her parents about her moving in with them? That is HER job.

She can also go to some temp agencies and find work until she finds something permanent. She is not helpless.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Phew!
Hunker down brother. Seems like the dust is settling and she's starting to go into survival mode which historically meant manipulating you.

You made the move to improve your life so stay focused on you and the lad.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

So.....she's basically doing everything BUT rehab, eh? Interesting. I guess this is where you she what's she's really made of. I can't wait to see what the judge says on Thursday! I wouldn't sign anything until after that hearing, if at all.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Well, what an interesting day it's turning out to be...she went on Facebook and changed her status to Single. THAT should get the family talking.

Got a phone call from one of her friends, who called her when she saw the status change; turns out that her friend has an AH (I had no idea) and she just left him because of his drinking.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm not going to do all the work for her.
That's right!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hang tough man, you’ve only got one more day to wait.

Turn off your phone or don’t answer….avoid her like the plague.

Take care of your son.

Best of luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

she went on Facebook and changed her status to Single.
Well she sure showed you! Take that!...

how mature...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Well she sure showed you! Take that!...

how mature...
She's acting very, very unstable now. Borderline suicidal messages on Facebook. Her parents keep trying to call her but she keeps hanging up on them. All her family keep texting me know asking WTF is going on. So much for trying to be productive at work today...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

You need to put some people to work on this or you'll get flooded.

You mentioned that both your Mom and MIL know about this. I'm sure they know what you're doing and what's really going on. They should probably start making calls to the rest of the family so they aren't trying to contact you. When the sh#t hit the fan in my house, I told my parents to make sure the rest of my family did not call me. I didn't need to do any further explaining to anyone.

It's funneling information through the right channels so you can focus on the solution.

Otherwise, turn your phone off.

I don't know what to say about the suicide threats. My AW said the same thing. I reacted. I called her therapist and mother and let them work it out. It turned out to be BS manipulation.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

You could always not login to facebook or temporarily block her. The messages could be attempts at manipulation.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You can always call 911 on her. Let the professionals deal with it. If it's a real threat, they can help her, and if it's not, she won't be quick to pull that manipulative crap again.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Things will get very intense with her behavior - or at least that was my experience. Be prepared. This is not your responsibility, not your obligation, not your deal. Her meltdown is not your crisis.

If she needs help *for real* she'll quit hanging up on her parents.

My advice would be to turn the phone off and stay away from facebook.

ETA: I also agree with Shellcrusher - one phone call to the right person and they can put the rest of the family in the know if that is necessary.

Also agree that if she is making suicide threats, call it in. If she is manipulating you she'll stop and if she isn't, you need to call. Calling is a good move no matter what her motives are.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You can always call 911 on her. Let the professionals deal with it. If it's a real threat, they can help her, and if it's not, she won't be quick to pull that manipulative crap again.
True.

I'm not sure how to say this but should you call 911 due to a suicide threat, she would be dealt with. It would be yet another unstable situation which is not good for your child and can only help prove the custody issue you're dealing with. I suspect she'd be under a psych watch or hospital evaluation which gets you 1 more day or more before court.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Jay, my AH called me at night from his motel room saying he "just wanted to die" "I have nothing, I want to lay down and die". I really thought he was suicidal and I let him back home. He attended a few meetings, and a few months later, the "wash, rinse, repeat cycle started again. I also wanted to mention that earlier in your post you said she tried to negotiate with you when she heard about court. My AH tried to negotiate with me in the hallway of the courthouse 5 minutes before court started. She might try that. Good Luck