jayscott

Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes, dude.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

LOL...came home today and had to notify her that our hearing is on Thursday morning. She asked why we couldn't negotiate something, we're "both reasonable adults". Mmhmm. I said I was only comfortable with supervised visitation until she got a substantial period of sobriety behind her, which pretty much ended negotiations.

Not sure if she thinks she will persuade the court somehow for joint custody or if she really doesn't believe they would take away her rights. Fireworks coming soon!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

She asked why we couldn't negotiate something, we're "both reasonable adults".
Hahaha... Yeah. Those lines must be stashed at the bottom of the bottles somewhere.

Good for you, man. Good luck on Thursday.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
I think he's lots of fun right now, but won't deny that the guy in me is looking forward to taking him to the park and the beach and the zoo and all these other things that are much more fun when you have a vocabulary.
Hah. I love it!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Also LOL: the rational side of my brain is arguing, "if I just got divorce papers because of my drinking and I might lose my son because of my drinking, I am driving to Betty Ford TONIGHT." Still can't help but try to project my unmet wishes into her brain.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Isn't that the truth!! I mean how long does it take to figure THAT out??? Cunning & baffling disease, as they say. On the other hand, there may be a wee part of her brain that's thinking, "Good. Now I can drink all I want without anyone hassling me."

Just curious...What does your lawyer say about providing some kind of "proof" that she's not a responsible caregiver? I mean, is it just going to be your word that's good enough or what?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
Predictably, now that she's sober and the consequences are barreling down like an avalanche she is trying every possible idea to change my mind.
How about this? Legally separate, she moves out, you decide in one years time if you wish to file for divorce?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
...Just curious...What does your lawyer say about providing some kind of "proof" that she's not a responsible caregiver? I mean, is it just going to be your word that's good enough or what?
jayscott has a video recording of an incident correct? I'm wondering how much weight that stuff carries.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

jayscott...I am not sure what state you live in, but I have had professional legal experience with family law in Massachusetts and Virginia. If there is a history of abuse on her part both against you and with alcohol/drugs, you can petition the court for temporary physical custody and request supervised visitation. In Massachusetts, you can request a psych eval/drug test as well. I am not sure what the "standard of proof" is but it may be worth a try. I am sure your attorney has told you what your options are. I hope your hearing goes well on Thursday!!! Hang in there! I was in a custody battle for 2 years - it is not an easy road.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

How about this? Legally separate, she moves out, you decide in one years time if you wish to file for divorce?
Different states have different laws on this -- but that might be a real live option, if you want to keep the door sort of kind of not completely shut.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The California divorce process doesn't move forward unless the petitioner moves it forward, so technically if I don't do anything we would sit here in limbo 'till death do us part. My lawyer doesn't seem very concerned about proving my case enough for a temporary custody order; there's a domestic violence call from last week where the cops saw how drunk she was, a detox trip last fall from an involuntary psych hold, a CPS report on file, and a 1-year drinking log I have in a Word doc. Proving anything for a permanent custody order would probably require getting subpeonas for hospital records and stuff, but I'm not gonna worry about that today.

If it REALLY came to it, I have both her mom and mine who have witnessed a binge.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Depending on the rules of evidence and if the video can be authenticated then he may be able to use the video of her acting crazy.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Oops jayscott, didn't see your post until after I posted mine about evidence. I don't care what state you live in...you have MORE than enough for a temp custody order.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

My lawyer doesn't seem very concerned about proving my case enough for a temporary custody order; there's a domestic violence call from last week where the cops saw how drunk she was, a detox trip last fall from an involuntary psych hold, a CPS report on file, and a 1-year drinking log I have in a Word doc.
Well yes. That should do it. Was she drinking while pregnant? Because that might be huge in a custody case.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Well yes. That should do it. Was she drinking while pregnant? Because that might be huge in a custody case.
Not that I can confirm. The first ultrasound suggested that it might not have been a successful pregnancy and so she continued to drink for about a week until the next ultrasound when a heartbeat could be detected, and then she quit completely.

There was one incident when I was out of town and my "lie-dar" went off when we were on the phone, but that's not very useful in court...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Oh lordy...she's trying to rent an apartment but has no job, so they need me to sign as a guarantor and to provide verification of income.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Bad idea. VERY bad idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

So how does one do this? She doesn't have a job, so she has no verifiable income, so she can't rent a place. I guess if she gets a support order then that becomes verifiable income...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you win custody of your child, she won't be getting support. Sounds like she needs to get a job or move in with family or something. Not really your problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Then she needs to get a JOB! It's not your problem. Her parents can sign as guarantor of an apartment, she can live in a homeless shelter, go to rehab, etc, but where she goes isn't your concern.