QUACKERs....

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

tonight, he dropped his vehicle off at the shop so it could get in tomorrow. As I was driving us home, he chimed up with " you know, it really isn't me who has changed, it's you, it's always been you. " QUACK QUACK QUACK!!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm laughing as I am not in tune with this at all, but the responses sound familiar.
What is the meaning behind the duck and the quackery?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pennywistle View Post
I'm laughing as I am not in tune with this at all, but the responses sound familiar.
What is the meaning behind the duck and the quackery?
This whole thread is about quacking, a term we use for our alcoholics who come out with completely irrational, useless pieces of chat. You soon switch on to hearing utter alcoholic rubbish and because we need to detach and not engage in this line of argument, it helps us to laugh about it and picture a giant walking talking duck. Quackers!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

I had a realization last week that A's use many words that can be easily translated to "drinking" such as:

1. I'm just "sad" (drinking)
2. I'm just "tired" (aka drinking)
3. I'm just "perplexed" (aka drinking - and color me shocked that the man could even say the word!)
4. I'm just "sick" (aka drinking)

No...you are just DRINKING! QUACK :chatter
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

My AH told me a couple of years ago while drunk that I was "manly" because I know how to spackle and drive a stick-shift. Funny thing is, I'm a real girly-girl. My sister and I laugh about that one still.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi.
My AH once told me about six years ago that, "If you had more sex with me I wouldn't drink!" I'm embarrassed to say I believed him..
Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

XABF took me to see the play "Bill W. and Dr. Bob" this past summer.

"I think it would be something good for you to see," he told me, "so you can understand alcoholism. We'll probably be the only non-alcoholics in the room."

It's a good play, I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those trying to learn more about AA. I do wish I could "re-see" it now, with all the new things I've learned, because back then I was still buying into the "I'm not an alcoholic" lines.
BILL W. AND DR. BOB A Play by Samuel Shem and Janet Surrey
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
It is what it is

It's not so fresh in my mind anymore, thank God. I guess that's progress. However, some will remain, probably forever.

"It's my Friday too." (or weekend, day off, etc.)

"You think you're so sexy."

"What goes on at work? why don't you ever talk about it? I know you must talk to other men or they must hit on you all the time. Why do you keep it from me?
What about your bosses?"

"You went to work dressed like that?" or "Look at you wearing those tight pants so everyone will look at your ass." (meanwhile I'm wearing yoga pants)

"Me, jealous? I'm not jealous. why would I be jealous? of what?"

"Maybe if you weren't such a bitch, I wouldn't have to. . . (fill in the blank)

"Expletives" directed at me. Take your pick, the worse, the more often used (c word was a big favorite of his), just for shock value but they stopped shocking after the first 20 times or so. And this dude is pretty intelligent so the way he could string a line of them together was creative and almost poetic.

"I'll never stop drinking, NEVER, so don't hold your breath."

"I never lie. I've got morals, values and integrity. I guess our morals are just different."

My personal favorite: "I know I'm an alcoholic. So what?"

Oh yeah, and used time and time again, "Get out. This is MY house. Why don't you pack all your crap and get the f*ck out?" This was before, during and after he was in recovery/sobriety. This was said in a rage at me at least 1 a month. And he was right, technically it was his house. He actually went to his lawyer to find out how he could have me evicted and told me about it and his lawyer sent me a letter. NICE!!!! Me and my two kids. What a dreamboat, right?

For me, here is the best quack of them all. When I finally decided I needed to go and I told him I was leaving, packing up my crap and the kids and moving out, his response was . . . drumroll please . . . "But you can't go. I'm not ready yet." REALLY???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? Bahahahahahahaha And that was 1 1/2 years into sobriety, active in AA. OMG!

Quack quack quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Peace,
Jen
Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
It is what it is

I sure wrote a lot. Jeeze, imagine if it was still fresh in my mind. Eeeeeeeeeek!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

AH keeps saying he's going to quit drinking...as he leaves to go drinking!!! I laughed at that tonight and half-heartedly asked "when?"

His response, "Soon! I'm a diamond in the rough!"

Stop. I didn't just roll my eyes...I rolled my whole head! Unbelievable. I just said "quack."
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I love this thread! All of these sound so familiar. I think I've got some. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Me: "Why did you lie to me and tell me you were not going to see your dealer?"
Him: "Because you never let me do what I want to do!"

"You could never find someone else who will put up with you."

"Well you're just as bad because you're addicted to Frontierville!"

"You don't understand because you didn't grow up in the neighborhood I grew up in. You don't get it that it's just normal. Everyone does it. People smoke pot the way they smoke regular cigarettes." (This was so crazy to me because a couple months ago, he was excited to tell me how he finally figured out the 'you didn't grow up where I did' excuse was bull when it related to his DRINKING. So apparently it's valid for pot.)

"I wasn't going to smoke any of it, I just wanted to see if it would grow because the seeds are so old." (After he started secretly growing in our house and I found the plants)

"I wasn't going to trade, I just wanted to see how much weed I would be able to get for the pills."

"I didn't lie to you, I just hadn't made up my mind yet." (After he told me he wasn't going to make the trade and- DUH- I found out he was)

I really needed to read this right now. It re-confirms to me that nothing will change and that I can't trust a word out of his mouth. The same words have come out of so many countless other mouths before!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Great thread. It's a good way to get rid of some anger.

AH: I'll drink less when you leave because I'll have less of a reason to drink.
8 months later...
I'm keeping an eye on my drinking because it's really easy to come home and pop a few beers but I can't. I have to get up and go to work. I had to buy a new alarm clock. Mine doesn't always work.
Do you think maybe you were too drunk to hear it?

So I'm a drunk. There are worse things to be.

AH: I haven't had a drink in 3 days!
Me: What do you want a medal?"
retelling the story years later.
AH: I should have known you were a b**** right then.
Me: I knew you were an Alcoholic right then.

I could stop drinking if I wanted to. I just don't want to.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thank you! I have 2 quacks from today, back to back, and and I immediately came here.

- about the inappropriate video he got to share with my 10yo son "Come on, it's not so bad." in a really aggressive voice

and

- when I asked if his perpetually drunk / highly unpleasant friend was out of the house before my son got home, he said 'I wish you wouldn't do that, I've known about your 'rule' for months now!'.... except that he routinely ignores that rule.

QUACK indeed. Hmph.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I just went through and read the whole thread - talk about solidarity! There must be a phrase book that's given out at liquor stores....

The last binge included this 6am gem exchange:

Him: "I love you, drunk or sober."
Me: "Oh, thank God I've got a choice ~ I'll take sober!"

- Sylvie
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Sylvie66 View Post
I just went through and read the whole thread - talk about solidarity! There must be a phrase book that's given out at liquor stores....

The last binge included this 6am gem exchange:

Him: "I love you, drunk or sober."
Me: "Oh, thank God I've got a choice ~ I'll take sober!"

- Sylvie

I love it!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

- some of these just cracked me up ! ! ! I think I have heard most if not all of these... My favorite from AH

"I can't go to AA, those people are all miserable and depressing"
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

WOW! i cant believe this thread is still going....

i forgot one from my mother in law, "after giving my 10 mth son a sip of BEER"
"oh Maggie, dont make a mountain out of a mole hill" (and i guess i must of missed something )
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

The one I hear the most and angers me the most, is "I got a lot of **** on my mind."

Yeah well so does the rest of the flippen planet
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I don't know what the most recent one is any longer. All I hear is "Quack, Quack, Quack"!

But the other day I couldn't help myself, I was seriously just listening to a bunch of jumble coming out of his mouth and I just starting going "Quack, Quack" and he was like, "Hugh?" and I told him that's all I hear when he starts rambling nonsense while drinking. An hour later when I was giving a normal response to something he said, not even in an argument, he started doing it to me. I almost died laughing.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

My husband actually says this fairly often.

"I only drink Milwaukee's Best beer because it aids my digestion"

He drinks it because it's the cheapest beer in town.