SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   What simple steps are you going to do just for yourself today? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/217476-what-simple-steps-you-going-do-just-yourself-today.html)

Phoenixthebird 01-11-2011 06:53 AM

What simple steps are you going to do just for yourself today?

I have found out......that sometimes, it's the littlest steps that we do for ourselves that can make the biggest impact for ourselves! I'm just using up some time reading, and maybe, posting here on SR at the present. I'm waiting for my 35 year old son to wake up for the day. I'm not scheduled for my OT or my PT today, so it's the perfect day for me to go reclaim my driving priviledges back. I'm sitting here, grinning, just thinking about gaining some of my independence back by just getting my driver's license back. My driver's license was suspended for medical reasons, and I have the blessings of my doctor to go get them!

One of my favorite places to visit is the fabric store or an arts-and-crafts store. Places men don't really like to go! Your wishes and prayers will be appreciated!

What simple steps are you going to do just for yourself today?

Love and Peace,
Phoenix

barb dwyer 01-11-2011 07:37 AM

HA!

Phoenix -

Today is the day before the first day of school...

it's ALL about *ME* today, girl...
  • must get to school pick up check
  • get books I couldn't find online
  • make hair appointment
  • dinner with my friend
  • grocery
  • pharmacy
  • make appointment at new clinic
  • meet with insurance rep at college
  • shoe shore for the umpteenth time!

I keep going to the shoe store
looking for a black walking shoe
to get back and forth to class
and I keep buying
these adorable HEELS
and coming home without a comfortable walking shoe!

what *is* that?
see?

me,me MEEEEEE!!! lol!

moving forward and moving on...

PurpleWilder 01-11-2011 09:45 AM

Got a haircut (after neglecting it for 5+ months). Giving myself a facial and some Biore later. Made Chinese dumplings for lunch. Gonna take a bath.

BTW, thanks to all on your suggestions on "What Do You Do to Feel Beautiful" thread.

BuffaloGal 01-11-2011 09:46 AM

Go to the gym to do cross training and lift weights :)

(that's what makes me feel beautiful too, just never got around to posting it)

StarCat 01-11-2011 09:50 AM

I took off work today. I am blaming it on my car (which is in the mechanic) but I could have gotten there via train, I just didn't want to.

I am going to start writing again today. It always makes me feel better, but I haven't done it in forever and it's difficult getting started. I will start by working on my sudoku book some more to wake up my brain, and then I think I'll go write some poetry.

Verbena 01-11-2011 10:32 AM

Whoo whoo. You go girl. And, may all your traffic lights be green.

Live 01-11-2011 10:35 AM

I looked up several new recipes for the crockpot. I love gluttony and I am sorta lazy...so that is a two-in-one! LOL

lillamy 01-11-2011 10:50 AM

Well, inspired by the "beautiful" thread, I actually put some thought into how I dressed for work today. :lmao For once.

Freedom1990 01-11-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Verbena (Post 2826688)
Whoo whoo. You go girl. And, may all your traffic lights be green.

Amen!

This old gal is going to take the luxury of a nap in just a bit! :)

I'm going to finish crocheting along the top of a new kitchen towel later on to hang on my kitchen cabinets.

I might just have to watch a good scary movie tonight via my NetFlix account. :)

Shellcrusher 01-11-2011 11:26 AM

Scary movies? Like goosebumps and tightness in your throat?
Might I recommend The Fourth Kind?

I'm just doing the same as Phoenixthebird. Reading and doing a little posting here. I haven't been too successful with either so far, but the day is young.

Freedom1990 01-11-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher (Post 2826769)
Scary movies? Like goosebumps and tightness in your throat?
Might I recommend The Fourth Kind?

I am putting that one on my list. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Live 01-11-2011 03:31 PM

I refuse to hang out with you scary people. I will not watch anything that you wouldn't let your 5 yr old see.
;)

tjp613 01-11-2011 04:15 PM

I'm with you, Live! I hate scary movies!!! Yuck. Give me butterflies, rainbows and unicorns!

I've already done what I'm gonna do for myself ... got home from work, put jammies and fuzzy robe on, ate yummy leftovers and had just a wee bit of chocolate! Now I"m gonna do whatever the heck I want.

Phoenixthebird 01-11-2011 04:26 PM

WHOOOooopie! I GOT my driver's license back! WATCH OUT WORLD, HERE I COME!!!
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8283/lady40driving.jpg

Phoenix

StarCat 01-11-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenixthebird (Post 2827133)
WHOOOooopie! I GOT my driver's license back! WATCH OUT WORLD, HERE I COME!!!
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8283/lady40driving.jpg

Phoenix

Oh, Hooray! :You_Rock_

theuncertainty 01-11-2011 05:16 PM

I took time today to actually leave my desk at lunch time and left the building to boot.

I went down to the pet and garden store just down the road, picked up some treats and another type of food for our new cat, Sasuke, to try. The picky guy, he up and decided he did not like the dry food we had been giving him - or any of the other types we tried. Not eating for a couple days earned him a trip to the vets and a realization for me that he is just as stubborn as I can be and fits very well with our family. :) (He has a clean bill of health, good teeth, and ate the treats and canned food the vet gave him just fine.) Best of all, if Sasuke decides he doesn't like this kind, the store said they'd take the bag back and give me full credit towards a different type and will keep doing this until we find something he will eat.

While there, I also picked up a pretty little post-it set covered in Monet's Evening Waterlillies for me and a cool set of chop sticks (connected at the top so they're easy to learn) for DS.

skippernlilg 01-11-2011 05:23 PM

I listened to some music I had meant to hear the last week or so, and I finally took the time to really listen to it. I will probably do that again tomorrow. Music brings me calm.

StarCat 01-11-2011 07:29 PM

I never did get to write poetry today, but I did get my car back, and met quite a few of my neighbors (running around after G kept me from meeting most of them), and had a sandwich at the station while waiting for my second train. I also got home at a decent hour this time. :drive:

To be honest, I think this whole car things did a wonderful thing to my mood. I can actually accomplish stuff, by myself! Including take my poor broken car to my mechanic who is about an hour from where I live, without calling anyone to give me a ride. And pay for it without borrowing money from anyone, which is a nice change.

Go me, I really am unstoppable.:abcf:

StarCat 01-14-2011 09:50 AM

I started writing last night. (A little later than I intended, but I was finally ready for it, and it felt good - just poetry, about how I'm feeling, but as I wrote I noticed the tone getting lighter and brighter which is great.)

I also made a pound cake last night, and brought it in to work today. (Right now I am getting into these depressive moods about how "nothing I do is any good" - nothing snaps me out of it like a bunch of tiny compliments as co-workers come in for second helpings of free cake!)