Not Concentrating

Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Concentrating

I am unable to concentrate on much at the moment, as I watch my State Capital, Brisbane in Queensland, go under in the worst flood ever.

Yesterday I saw a surge of water 25ft high, hurl itself down the main street of Toowoomba and toss trucks and cars around like Dinky toys, and sweep pedestrians into the fury. It just suddenly appeared, without notice...and caught a mum and child as they left a shop entrance, pulled them into it and there is 2 lives gone in a few minutes.

So far we have 10 confirmed dead, and 78 or more missing.....and more rain to fall. The dam that held back so much of the water from Brisbane, is now over full and is releasing water into the river at a huge rate....the amount of water in 2 Sydney harbours.

Half the state is flooded, and now they tell us that we have a band of heavy rain and storms, rain at 150mls (6inches) an hour about to let go, up here within a day or so.
More bloody rain, when we are sodden up to our armpits already and wonder what the hell comes next.

It had me thinking about priorities in life, and how cruel events can give us a necessary shake up in our lives, and drive us to giving more thought to circumstances we may dislike but seem stuck in.

I stayed with XAH for 5 years before I left him, and then gave myself the occasional blast, for not having done it earlier....for wasting time in staying for various reasons.

I guess none of these folks had a clue that before this day ended, they would be dead, that there were no "2nd chances" for them to make any life changes, amends or forgive others. One of these dead is a 4 year old boy, dragged away from safety and lost in the waters. All expectations of a long and fruitful life just shattered for him and his grieving family.

What I am trying to say, in my befuddled way,....is for us not to take our life or that of loved ones, as a given....it is anything but.

Don't waste precious time, ours and our children's, stuck in a place none of us want to be in.....be strong, take back our right to be safe, loved and treated well.

We never know when that chance may be taken away without any warning, and we may be left mourning our losses.

I have a couple of snaps from these events as examples of real power of a flood surge.

Hope I can get online after it is all over, as expect power outages and of course I totally disconnect everything when thunder and lightning appear.

Here's hoping all will be well.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This was Toowoomba in the Flower Festival, and as it was yesterday and today.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh Jadmack,
this sickens me. I am so sad for those who have lost their lives, and for those affected. I will be praying that no more lives will be lost. This is just terrible.
Please be safe.
hugs
chicory
Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Hi dear Aussie,
Im in Adelaide and watched this devasting news on Tv most of the night. It is shocking to say the least. I cant comprehend what is happening up there but I hope you are safe Jackman. I heard we will loose another 30,000 homes in the next 24 hrs - its heading to Brisbane - this is just " I dont even know the words " to describe it. This happened apparently in 1974 but this time it is so much worse. Im wondering - was it just really rain that caused it?
JJ
Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautifully written, thank you.

CLMI
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jadmack. It's horrendous what's happening up there. My heart goes out to all Queenslanders. I haven't been on SR much lately and I was driving to Tamworth today wondering how you were. I'm glad to hear you're safe. It's a tragedy with the lives lost and more to come. My sister lives in Brisbane. She's okay for now. I heard the rain and flooding is heading to Grafton and other parts of Northern NSW. When is it going to stop? They were even talking about flash flooding in Victoria later on in the week
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Part 2. I'm writing from my mobile phone and it keeps stuffing up. And you're right, life is precious and not to be taken for granted as it can be swept away in a flash, literally. The reports have been saying Toowoomba experienced an inland tsunami. The images have been so hard to watch. Justjo, I've also been wondering whether there's more to it. Such as the hand of God or mor Haarp? But that's a whole ndifferent foru. Jadmack, please stay safe. Xx
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's supposed to say 'whole different forum'. Stupid phone won't let me edit it...
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

Hi Jadmack,
I live in Sydney and words fail me as I watch in horror the unravelling of these devastating floods...really makes you think of life's priorities..
Ultimately God is all we have...prayers for you and all.

P.S i always glean so much from your down to earth wisdom
Julia
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every time I see these horrible floods on the news, I think of our dear SR friends from Down Under and pray that you and your loved ones are all safe.

Please keep us updated on how you are faring........sending you love, hugs and prayers......
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jadmack,

I have received this message 3 times in the past 3 days.
(That our time here is limited, and you never know when it will end).
Thank you for writing this out and sharing.

Today is the day, right this minute, to tell someone you love them.

Beth

I am very sorry for the loss of life and wreckage caused by these waters.
I will pray for easier times for all my Australian friends.
Oh my, that park is so beautiful with flowers.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

Jadmack,

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

Isn't it good to know......hopefully...... NOT TO SOON...where's you're headed for!

Love and Peace,
Phoenix
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Oh Jad! Thank you for posting! I have been worried about you and Floss and our other Aussie friends. Are you guys okay? Please keep posting.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you guys are okay too justjo and fragrantrose. Thank you for posting.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

what in hell is an "inland tsunami"??? Where did the water come from? sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, heard the news while driving into work and wondered if our Aussie friends were affected.

For those interested - NPR radio - interviewed someone in Aussieland about the wall of water and how it happened.

Everyone please stay safe and keep us posted when you can.

BTW - thanks for the reminder of what is important!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jadmack - are you a safe distance? NOW I'm worried. Prayers going up for all of you.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been watching these floods on the news. The morning I saw film clips of people being pulled from their car just seconds before it was washed away in raging water.

I have seen floods. I have been in a situation where I couldn't leave my yard for four days because water had taken out the only exit road.
I've been caught between two running creeks several times and had to wait an hour or so for them to run out.

But I've never seen anything like what's happening in your country. It's frightening. My heart goes out to you all.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much, for your prayers, thoughts and concern at this unbelievable situation.
Just to put things in perspective, and I admit I was dumbfounded at the extent...I can give the size of Queensland and compare it to a few places.

SIZE:1 300 000Sq Km
It is ~2400km from Brisbane in the south to the tip of Cape York in the north and ~ 1600km east to west from Brisbane to Birdsville.
Queensland is one of, if not the fastest growing (both economically and population )states in Australia.
Like the other Australian states, Queensland is vast; to put its size into perspective; it will take over three days to drive from Brisbane to Cairns, which is not even at the far north.

Queensland is Australia's second largest state measuring more than 1.72 million square kilometers, 25% of Australia's land mass, which is four times the size of Japan, nearly six times the size of the UK and more than twice the size of Texas in the US.

The population was recorded as 4,537,000 in 2010.

At this moment 3/4 (75%) of QLD is under water. That is the equivalent area of land to 4 and a half UK's, 3 Japans, and 1 and a half times Texas.

And up north here, we are still awaiting our moments of "water sports".

Some of the houses that went downriver yesterday, had families in them as they surged in that tsunami of water, and folks watching could hear screams from them.

I sit, wait, pray and hope.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is the third time I've tried to write this message from my stupid phone. Thankyou for your thoughts. I'm okay. I'm in NSW. I'm in Tamworth at the moment. Here for a funeral. My dad's partner died. She was a wonderful woman. My dad got off the phone from some family members QLD. They can't get to the funeral as all the roads are cut off. Dad said these relatives were saying we cannot understand the magnitude of what's hapening up there. The trauma of watching people being swept away. Terrible. Jadmack, my sister and some friends live in Qld. It's a living hell. Ipswich is being evacuated. The Brisbane river is breaking it's banks now. I just spoke to my sister. She hasn't been evAcuated yet. The river is expected to peak later today at 22 metres. It's a living hell. It's the combination of King tides, overflowing dams and torrential water. Northern NSW is flooding now. L2L, an inland tsunami is a fast moving wall of water that sweeps up everything in it's path. It's hard to imagine. The poor, poor Queenslanders. Ten dead already. More than 90 missing. Each time I watch the news, I cry. it's so sad. All we can do is pray and be thankful for our blessings. Glad to hear you're okay Jadmack.