Six months later ..... happy here

Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six months later ..... happy here

I guess I am posting just to share my success story ...

Six months ago I left my 10 year relationship because of his drinking. The first few months I felt guilt for leaving him but I gradually changed back into the person I was before I met him - not having to have a drink or smoke pot to be in his life - I am fun without it again. I've lost weight, eating healthy and am active again.

How much time did I waste living with a depressing, negative man who wanted to dwell in his misery, brought on by his alcoholism and not wanting to change and become a better person.

We keep in touch and see each other briefly on occasion. When I travel I leave my dog with him. His sister is my best friend and has always been my greatest support.

I spent Christmas day at his home and while some might say it was not the best thing for me to do, it reinforced that I have changed and he hasn't. Still the same complaints about his work, the big chip on his shoulder and towards the end of the evening he started drinking - first a beer but I knew he would move on to the hard stuff later in the evening when everyone left, same as he did when we were together. He is in denial still.

What a great feeling to leave with all the other guests knowing that I made the right decision and to be at peace.

While I still care about him as a person and I would be sad if he was gone from this world, I have moved on and he has not.

Thanks to everyone on this site who support and offer encouragement.

I wish everyone here peace and harmony in 2011.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this freetolive.
Recovery is great.

Beth
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen- I am 1 month out- and the freedom and the peace is wonderful! Congrats and keep moving forward!