Ted Williams... man with the golden voice is a recovering A.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ted Williams... man with the golden voice is a recovering A.

I've been following this fairytale of a story about this man Ted Williams.

A homeless alcoholic with a long history of alcohol and drug abuse... recently discovered by a reporter. Now he's been brought to the spotlight and has many an opportunity ahead of him.

I watched a segment on the news that had him with his mother (who he's lost touch with for over 10 years). I could see the very familiar doubt and worry on her face as he explained to her his new found fame and fortune.

I sure hope he makes it. But, I like her - won't hold my breath. Aside from that... I can't help wonder how all the years of abusing the substances would effect his cognition. A great radio voice - yes... but will he have the ability to find the words.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I asked the same questions you posted. He seemed to be articulate and up to date with the "patter", but I wondered also about the money etc, being thrown at him all of a sudden. From broke and homeless to suddenly a paying job, and a mortgage offered seemed a bit premature to me, tho God knows I wish him the best.

My RABF shook his head and said, "I think his sobriety was safer being homeless".
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm hoping, too, that it all turns out well for him. I heard him say that he had been clean for two years, so here's hoping that all the help he is getting now will enable him to make something truly inspirational out of all that's happened.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I will say a prayer for that man.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish him well also, but I just said tonight during the news "I don't think this is going to end well."

1000 families a month are having their houses foreclosed in the US and one mortgage company just g-i-v-e-s- this guy a house? He hasn't paid bills for 10 years plus, how will he cope going from a tent to a house with a job, bills and 9 children that may want some fatherly love and financial support?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'll admit, I haven't watched everything in the news about him, but I was under the impression that the Cleveland Cavaliers had offered him a job and the house.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe he'll be on Good Morning America or the ABC Morning News tomorrow WITH his mother. If you have a chance to catch it - watch his mother's expressions. You'll too see the familiar doubt in her eye, the years of worry in her face.

It really stood out to me.

I hope his life continues on this good path... not so much for him - but for his dear mother. Can you imagine the worry and wonder - not hearing from your son for 10 years?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jadmack25 View Post
My RABF shook his head and said, "I think his sobriety was safer being homeless".
I have a philosophical question about this statement. So does this mean it's better to be poor and recovering than rich or financially well off and recovering?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YES! I think poor people w recovery are better off. I am NO expert, but my exA inherited millions and blew through them. Money is a MAJOR stressor. People enabled him and clung to whatever he did. It was sick. Money buys a lot.

Ted Williams has a great voice, but I too thought that he was not ready for the stress and management of all that he is being offerred. I think it is great that he found recovery, but for him to be sober and not starting off slowly building some form of stable life before being thrust on TV is scary to me. I hope he does well and will pray for him.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been watching this man being interviewed on the Today show also, yesterday he admitted to Meredith and Al how overwhelmed he feels and I believe someone from one of the networks is helping him by acting as a buffer.

i don't think he will falter (at least I hope not), he seemed to be careful about what he was saying and his expectations...he admitted several times to feeling overwhelmed...

I heard him say that his children were all adults, i suppose they had written him off, now the whole family is in the limelight...we'll see. I hope they have some dignity and don't run around giving interviews about dear old dad.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I need to go find the news story and figure this out because what I'm hearing you all say is that this guy went from addiction/homelessness/recovery to fame-and-fortune because he has a NICE VOICE??? There are a million heroes out there who struggle to feed their families but yet sacrifice and stay in service to others... and this guy's on TV and getting a free house because he has a NICE VOICE??

Sometimes I think America is the most ridiculous country on the planet.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I see this story maybe differently. He's been clean and his higher power has helped him to be clean and he is an inspiration to witness what his higher power has done for him. Being clean and homeless has to be a challenge and I wish this man all the ability to go forward in his life. He has experienced a bottom that is truly low and he may just not want to return to that sort of life. I think this story helps me and inspires me that recovery is truly possible.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There have been many people who earn a living from their melodious voices, you never see them but you hear them in movies, commercials and radio through the years.

One of them recently died, he was a tall gentleman with a bald head and did some Geico commercials.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Recovery is 'always' possible for those who want it.

I feel for Ted Williams being thrown into this situation by Corporate America. Why wasn't it enough for him to receive a job offer and have him prove that he is is willing, able and responsible to hold a job and save for his future like everybody else? It's Kraft and the other companies who are making this a 'media feel good story.' It's not about Ted. Enormous pressure is being heeped on him and if he fails they will fire his backside and take the house away faster than they can spell his name. And if you want to go the Higher Power route, "He who giveth, taketh away"
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well my thoughts on this are such that as a recovering addict I hope someone gives me an opportunity to prove myself. I'm so tired of stigma's. I'm done with addiction, Been clean 2 years and 3 months and I'm ready for a new beginning. I would hate to think that people would say I don't deserve to have a job or be given an opportunity and watching to see me fail if I so should. I worked since I was 16 years old and had 20 years as a nurse in corporate America. I have made amends to my higher power, working hard to forgive myself and trying hard to hold my head up against people thinking that addicts even recovered ones don't deserve things. That makes me so sad. I am rooting for this guy to make it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't say he didn't deserve a job. He has been given more than a job with responsibilities that go along with it that he may or may not be able to cope with, given his history of addiction and crime. I said in an earlier post that I wish him well. I am being realistic also.

I drank for the best part of 25 years, very seriously for the last 5 and made a terrific mess of my life. I had to start over, clean up what I could and say good bye to what I couldn't. My past alcoholism does not define me as I won't allow it to. I don't tell everyone I meet that I am an alcoholic. I am who I am today. Like everyone else in this world, we are not owed anything from anyone. It is up to us to make our life what we want it to be. of course there are struggles, like everyone else. You move on. Maybe the difference is that I 'am' everyone else. I am so much more than someone who abused alcohol.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The bottom line for me is that he does have a great voice and apparently was in radio before he got into drugs. What was really stopping him from getting some clothes together from a thrift shop asking a Barber for a free hair cut for a job interview and go for voice over try outs?

We'll see how it pan out.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
I need to go find the news story and figure this out because what I'm hearing you all say is that this guy went from addiction/homelessness/recovery to fame-and-fortune because he has a NICE VOICE??? There are a million heroes out there who struggle to feed their families but yet sacrifice and stay in service to others... and this guy's on TV and getting a free house because he has a NICE VOICE??

Sometimes I think America is the most ridiculous country on the planet.
Agree. The real hero of this story is the single mother of his 4 children that he abandoned. She raised her 4 children plus another child of his alone. A sister and cousin of her's also took in his other children that he did not stick around to raise.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess I see things differently, being an RA and a recovering codie. If he were homeless because of downsizing, I doubt people would be very negative about it.

I'm an RA and I'm done with the dope. Maybe he is, too. No, it's not right that he abandoned his kids, but there are people who are not A's that do the same. When I received a nice chunk of money from a lawsuit I didn't blow it or even think about using. I still had more than half of it in the bank when the septic tank went out in our house and I forked it all over because dad didn't have the money on hand.

I may be naive, but I've gotten to know too many RA's that become productive members of society. I don't agree with a lot of things that are given away to people...look at Octomom....she's making a fortune just because she wanted a lot of kids, and had no way to support them.

I, personally, wish him the best. He's been given a chance for a new start, and it's up to him how he handles it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hope very much that he is able to handle the instant fame and money.

However, and this is a BIG ONE, the very first day he was interviewed, he was very emotional and a little scattered, he mentioned that when he saw the therapist (apparently one of the morning shows provided him with a therapy session in order to be better able to cope with the instant adjustment) that one of the first things he said to the therapist was " I could ure use a nerve pill or a sedative right now". The therapist then gave him the tool of self-meditation or a relaxation exercise, in lieu of a script.

I am really surprised no one caught that or saw that segment. You guys must all work first shift! Anyway....to start out like that , straight out of the gate does not bode well for me.

As always, just my $.02 worth.