Ted Williams... man with the golden voice is a recovering A.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
I hope very much that he is able to handle the instant fame and money.

However, and this is a BIG ONE, the very first day he was interviewed, he was very emotional and a little scattered, he mentioned that when he saw the therapist (apparently one of the morning shows provided him with a therapy session in order to be better able to cope with the instant adjustment) that one of the first things he said to the therapist was " I could ure use a nerve pill or a sedative right now". The therapist then gave him the tool of self-meditation or a relaxation exercise, in lieu of a script.

I am really surprised no one caught that or saw that segment. You guys must all work first shift! Anyway....to start out like that , straight out of the gate does not bode well for me.

As always, just my $.02 worth.
I caught that... she told him to breathe. I think his keeping his wits about him is going to be a real struggle also. Look at Susan Boyle (whom everyone is comparing him to at this point)--she was completely functioning in her simple life, had cared for her mother, did for herself every day, and when fame hit her, she wound up in a "clinic," so Ted is going to have to draw on any sobriety resources he can get his hands on, IMHO.

As for the question about being poor making sobriety easier--I'm sure it depends, but having money dumped on you, as opposed to you rebuilding a sober life with money in, is probably a very shaky prospect. My own stepfather fell off the wagon after he got an inheritance.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

His voice reminds me of Don LaFontaine who made millions doing voiceovers from 1962 until he died of a pulmonary embolism and complications in 2008.

I hope things calm down for him and he can handle his chance to get back into the workforce.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dr. Phil has tried to talk him into treatment for two shows....he hasn't committed to it yet......hummmmmmm........??????
Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know about all of you, but I am fascinated at times watching this guy. I took a late lunch today, and saw him on Dr. Phil, and you know, Dr. Phil doesn't even understand the way we do.

I think it is amazing that an alcoholic is on display for the world to see. The man is so typical A, it is amazing. He lies so well, but I see right through him.

I hope that means I've learned something.

Dr. Phil is basically forcing him to go to Rehab, while he says, "I am not forcing you to go." No way this will work. I am sorry.

I am the eternal optimist, but no way. Not a chance.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh I stand corrected....he did go to rehab......hope he makes it......and hope his what 9 ? kids go to Alanon......
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Carol Star View Post
Oh I stand corrected....he did go to rehab......hope he makes it......and hope his what 9 ? kids go to Alanon......
Actually, he "promised" to go to rehab, after he went "home" for a couple of days.

The director of the rehab that Phil had flown in agreed to accompany him home, then to rehab.

And yeah, what Seekingcalm said.

Was it Catlovermi that said she had lie-dar? Me too, and it was going off during his whole segment.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah he told Dr. Phil he couldn't go yet, he wanted to see his girlfriend. Dr. Phil offered to fly her there. So I believe the treatment guy is going with him or something. The daughter said he is not sober- had been out ordering Buds, Coronas, wine etc.....oh dear.....Dr. Phil's Dad was an alcoholic and died pretty young.....stay tuned......