Now it's 6.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now it's 6.

6 fish tanks in the house. Someone tell me what part of being an alcoholic this is? 900sq ft house, 6 tanks, ranging in size from 55gallons all the way down to 3 gallons. Every outlet in the house is overloaded now, because of filters and heaters, air pumps, etc. I can barely sleep because of the (now) 2 fish tanks in my room, the noise from them is driving me nutty.

If it isn't the A, is this some weird PTSD symptom I am not aware of?

Plus, he's started drinking a lot earlier in the evening now, when he works a regular day shift or is off work. Last night the first one was opened by 6.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

He's buying fish tanks and all the necessary equipment and you're having to go to the food pantry for food? Something is very wrong with this picture. You deserve better.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, he did actually give me money for groceries today, but I agree. I found his checkbook, and with just checks, he spent over $100 on fish stuff last month. Possibly more, but I don't know if he bought food for the dogs and cats at Petsmart, or fish stuff.

It seems lately like he's trying to goad me into an argument. We lost power during the blizzards up here(and he was stuck home for 3 days) for a few hours. I sat and folded laundry and just stayed active to keep warm/busy. Meanwhile, he sat and sulked about not being able to play his game, and sat on his blackberry. When I asked him to help he just glared at me.

He really doesn't like the detachment thing, not in the slightest. Oh well, he'll get over it some day.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by pixilation View Post
Someone tell me what part of being an alcoholic this is? 900sq ft house, 6 tanks, ranging in size from 55gallons all the way down to 3 gallons. Every outlet in the house is overloaded now.
This is the alcoholic, fish, hoarder part. He is now your STBXAFHH.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sure puts a different slant on the expression "drinking like a fish", for me anyway.
I am so sorry that you are going thru this totally, weird experience, and for having to care for the family on what you can get....after the fish are fed and catered for.

Could you tell him, that if he leaves you short of food money to feed the family, it will be fish and chips for tea........very fresh fish, and give the biggest tank a long look?

Could I send him a White Pointer for his collection?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

my # 3 had clocks.

it was so loud in the bedroom at night ...

one night I finally lost it
got up and went through the room
taking down every clock.

he woke up and tryed to act all indignant

...until he got a look at my face.

"what are you doing?"

'It sounds like a ticking bomb in here and it's ending right now.'

'I put all the clocks in the other bedroom'.

then said "You need 'em - go sleep with them"

he didn't. but he brought three of them back into the bedroom.
in about a week.
one at a time.

as if I wasn't going to notice or something.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Next time you are faced with having to go to the food pantry, fry the ******* fish for dinner.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are 2 goldfish in the big bedroom tank that would be big enough to eat, but the others are all too small.

I'm sure he figured that since he handed me some food money, that it gave him the right to go buy more fish crap. That seems to be how he thinks lately at least.

Let's not forget that out of the money he so thoughtfully gave me, I needed to get oldest a pair of gym shoes(cheapest ones that would fit him at Walmart), gas for my van, enough money in my bank account to cover my two small luxuries, netflix and minutes for my prepaid phone(which really isn't a luxury, as we have no home phone) plus a few other odds and ends, besides the food. And I was supposed to buy him pop too, but I ran out of money to do that.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I got a little giggle from your last post about the fish being too small to eat. I was being a smarta$$ but you were contemplating it LOL.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, you know, it pays to have the right thought process in case zombies attack. :rofl

Goldfish are too filthy of fish for me to ever actually contemplate eating them. it makes for a nice visual though, eating all the fish in retaliation for his A crap.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I could give you the names of some of these hybridized world leaders and politicians, but then I'd have to kill you. Haha.
You have probably guessed that I know who they are.
I think zombies are scarier.
I mean, they are real!!!!
LOL

I used to read a website with a group of brilliant people on it. James Randi Educational something or other. James Randi used to show how magicians and mind readers and all that are fake. But lemme tell you the scientific arguments for bigfoot, flying saucers, the moon landing hoax. Wow! Amazing stuff.
When you get a few minutes check it out, be careful, it can be addictive.
LOL

Beth
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

"Additive personality disorder?! I just say it all sounds fishy to me!"
Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
can always use them lil' fish for bait for big fish. & get some sun & relaxation, doing that.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't say much for A's and fish tanks, but my brother-in-law and my brother both have a thing for fish and they both put in lots of money and time into them. My brother is WAY more obsessive about it (to the point I wonder about it and him having some addictive personality--he spends money he doesn't have on it). In both cases it is an expensive habit and IMHO your AH shouldn't be spending money of fish when you are struggling to survive. Seems pretty selfish. Maybe the fish stuff should be sold the next time your family needs food---there are plenty of collectors out there that might be interested.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ummmm, when did XAH move to N Dakota???

It's completely weird. XAH did this too. In fact, when he attempted to 'return' items he took, he tried to give me one of his old tanks that was all scummy and gross. Not mine. Not taking it. I told his GF she could put it back in her car. He even made her carry it while she was all dressed up to go out on a date with him. Ahhhhh, he's so caring and considerate. WTF? (OK, that realization helped me feel a tiny bit better.)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One word - SUSHI.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by PurpleSquirrel View Post
One word - SUSHI.
:rotfxko

I love fish, but I'm certainly not obsessed by them. I do enjoy my betta fish, though... He recognizes faces, voices, and loves to watch TV with me (no joke).

My A collects movies he'll never watch and books he'll never read.
He traded in tons of movies and TV series he's never watched before and got $350 for them, so I can only imagine how much he spent collecting them all.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

Pixilation, do you want to play a prank on your A? Offer to buy him some fish for one of his empty fish tanks......then go buy some piranhas.

I actually some someone actually stupid enough?? or drunk enough?? to put his hand inside a fish tank with piranhas waaaaaaaay back when I was at a beer party. He ended up having to put bandages on his hand. (LOL)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The only empty fish tanks are a 2 gallon and 1 gallon plastic tank that are sick tanks.

Oh, and now, get this. If he does it, it will completely screw up my plans for the taxes(ie:get out), but he wants to do one of those overpriced RAL things from H&R Block, because he managed to spend both his paycheck, and a 401K loan(he's now maxed out his job 401k, next I'm sure will be the military one), and is already out of money, the day after payday.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you file jointly, you can put the kibosh on that little plan of his.