Excuses Alcoholics Make

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Maybe the unoriginality stems from the fact that they are pickling their brains, literally. It's hard to be original when your brain is not functioning on all cylinders.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Let's not forget the ones favored by us high-functioning alcoholics:

"If I were an alcoholic, I wouldn't be able to run my own company/supervise 100 people/be a full-time working mom of two young children/hold down such a high-pressure job, etc."

"If anyone deserves to drink, it's me. I'm creating jobs and raising kids and doing a damn could job of it."

"I like to take the edge off after work. And alcohol is legal, I could be hooked on meth or heroin, those people really have a problem, not me."

"Everyone I know drinks. I'm not the one falling down drunk at parties, I can hold my alcohol unlike half the women I know."

"If I were an alcoholic, I'd have the shakes and the whites of my eyes would be yellow."

"I need my sleep and there's no way I can sleep without wine because my life is so stressful."
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
You're not so pure yourself!

I'd be OK if it weren't for you!

I got these served up to me last night by my RAW. She also added in the old "run away, that's what you always do". This after I held the family together while she was in rehab (which she just got out last week).

I had fooled myself into thinking that once she wasn't using her behavior would change.