The Long Bag We Drag Behind Us

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Long Bag We Drag Behind Us

Transform's thread reminded me about shadow work. This is an excerpt from Robert Bly about the shadow. I thought it was one of the best descriptions of the shadow I had ever read.

The Long Bad We Drag Behind Us
By Robert Bly

Let’s talk about the personal shadow first. When we were one or two years old we had what we might visualize as a 360-degree personality. Energy radiated out from all parts of our body and all parts of our psyche. A child running is a living globe of energy. We had a ball of energy, all right; but one day we noticed that our parents didn’t like certain parts of that ball. They said things like: “Can’t you be still?” Or “It isn’t nice to try and kill your brother.” Behind us we have an invisible bag, and the part of us our parents don’t like, we, to keep our parents’ love, put in the bag. By the time we go to school our bag is quite large.

Then our teachers have their say: “Good children don’t get angry over such little things.” So we take our anger and put it in the bag. By the time my brother and I were twelve in Madison, Minnesota we were known as “the nice Bly boys.” Our bags were already a mile long. Then we do a lot of bag-stuffing in high school. This time it’s no longer the evil grownups that pressure us, but people our own age. So the student’s paranoia about grownups can be misplaced. I lied all through high school automatically to try to be more like the basketball players. Any part of myself that was a little slow went into the bag.

My sons are going through the process now; I watched my daughters, who were older, experience it. I noticed with dismay how much they put into the bag, but there was nothing their mother or I could do about it. Often my daughters seemed to make their decision on the issue of fashion and collective ideas of beauty, and they suffered as much damage from other girls as they did from men.
So I maintain that out of a round globe of energy the twenty-year-old ends up with a slice.

We’ll imagine a man who has a thin slice left-the rest is in the bag-and we’ll imagine that he meets a woman; let’s say they are both twenty-four. She has a thin, elegant slice left. They join each other in a ceremony, and this union of two slices is called marriage. Even together the two do not make up one person! Marriage when the bag is large entails loneliness during the honeymoon for that very reason. Of course we all lie about it. “How is your honeymoon?” “Wonderful, how’s yours?”

Different cultures fill the bag with different contents. In Christian culture sexuality usually goes into the bag. With it goes much spontaneity. Marie Louise von Franz warns us, on the other hand, not to sentimentalize primitive cultures by assuming that they have no bag at all. She says in effect that they have a different but sometimes even larger bag. They may put individuality into the bag, or inventiveness. What anthropologists know as “participation mystique,” or “a mysterious communal mind,” sounds lovely, but it can mean that tribal members all know exactly the same thing and no one knows anything else. It’s possible that bags for all human beings are about the same size.

We spend our life until we’re twenty deciding what parts of ourself to put into the bag, and we spend the rest of our lives trying to get them out again.
You can read it in it's entirety here:

The Long Bag We Drag Behind Us b

L
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just about to respond to L2L on Transform's thread, when I decided to bring it over here instead. This way, I hijack my own thread.

It is precisely the belief that there is something "wrong" with us that creates the shadow in the first place. This is what makes shadow work so difficult, for me at least.

I don't want to look at the parts of myself that scare me or make me uncomfortable. Why? Because I don't like being scared and uncomfortable, lol. So, the first reaction I usually have is to deny whatever it is. Or get defensive. Or blame it on someone else.

There never was anything "wrong" with us, we were just told there was. Tough stuff. Really.

L
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

and this union of two slices is called marriage

Very very powerful.. thanks, LTD. I wish I could add a wise post.. but no.. lol I only got gratitude
Old 12-23-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

same goes for me!! powerful post!! thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

That's why I no longer use or appreciate the label co-dependent (and especially the term codie). Both terms suggest that there is something inherently wrong with me (or others) that needs fixing, and that simply by association with an alcoholic, I must be broken. I was not broken before I met Richard. I was not broken during our relationship (I was stressed, but not broken). And I'm not broken now. I posted about this before but didn't get much response.

Thanks for posting this, LTD. I checked out the link, and it contains some good info, but I'm not too thrilled about the religious parts woven throughout that website. I found it distracting because organized religion is another area where I came to believe I was not good enough.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like L2L I posted in the not too distant past that I was done reading tons of self help books and such and always trying to fix myself. I am fine as I am. If I need to address something in my life, I will look at it then. Life, itself, brings such opportunities to my door. There will always be growth but that does not need to come from the perspective that it is out of my own brokeness.
Thanks, LTD.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I have mixed feelings about the term, on one hand I don't like labels -we are all perfect and unique- on the other hand it is reassuring for my self destructive behaviors to have a name and a treatment - for it to be something I learned... not something I am.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LTD,

:ghug3

thank you, my message got lost when i tried to get to the smilies.
some of my shadow has protected me (i think)
i must ponder on this.

Beth
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I realize too that some people, and even entire groups of people, will help me to put more stuff in my bag, which makes me feel even worse. I don't know if it's the best thing to do but more and more I realize I need to seek out individuals and groups of individuals who are supportive, and stay away from those who are not. It's hard because I don't know until after I've involved myself whether they are supportive or not.

Thanks for sharing the article LTD, very cool concept. I want to cut my bag loose entirely.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On the one hand, I was hoping this thread would start a conversation, on the other, not quite sure what I want to say.

Beth, that's a great insight about parts of the shadow protecting you. I can definitely see that in my case, too.

Another thing I wanted to add is that the shadow is not necessarily the so-called "bad" parts of us. It's any part we deny. Sometimes, we deny the positive aspects of ourselves, too. For instance, I'm just now discovering that I have creative talents. I think I denied that part of me a long time ago because my sister was always the creative one in the family. Maybe I stuffed that part in the bag because I didn't want to compete with her, or maybe I thought I couldn't.

L
Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

At some point I discovered that I (and my family of origin) deny both the good and the bad parts of ourselves using that 'personal exceptionalism' thing. For example, boasting about how intelligent our family members are masked the stupidity of drinking heavily every day. And focusing on what's wrong with me psychologically denies my true intelligence and abilities and holds me back from taking risks and trying new things in my life.

I got some books on trauma recovery a few weeks ago, to try to work thru all the crap I have "suffered" through but I can't seem to focus on the books. I think I don't want to focus any more attention or energy on anything negative about myself or my past.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have stuffed my highly competitive nature. My wild (and sometimes inappropriate) sense of humor, I will be mulling this over.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, and FD, I only put the link there so people could read the entire Bly article. The part I posted was only a piece of it. I have no idea what that site is all about, I googled the title of the article I wanted to post and found it there.

There is some great stuff about the shadow by Jung, of course, and Carl Rogers wrote about the "real self" (who we really are) vs. the "ideal self" (who we want to be or how we see ourselves) and how the closer we can get the two, the less distress and mental anxiety we suffer.

L
Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Sometimes, we deny the positive aspects of ourselves, too.

This is me 100%

Somewhere I learned getting attention was bad.
I need to ponder about this too...